Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Wedding Venue - Cambridge / Watertown / Waltham

I am looking for a reception venue for about 150 people (probably a little less) and need suggestions.  I would like to bring in my own alcohol/caterer.

I have a church in mind, and hope to find something in Cambridge / Watertown / Waltham.  I am not interested in hotels or country clubs. 

I've already looked into Commander's Mansion (haven't heard back from them), Lyman Estate (waiting to hear back), Gore Place (too $$$), Paine Estate (unsure about), Charles River Museum of Industry and Innovation (not my style), and Cambridge Multicultural Center (possibility). 

Also, has anyone been to a wedding at the Paine Estate in Waltham? They don't allow tents and the guests would be split into two rooms?

Thanks.

Re: Wedding Venue - Cambridge / Watertown / Waltham

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The Paine Estate is gorgeous, I've been to a wedding there. You are split up a bit because the rooms aren't large enough, but the ambiance makes up for it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out the museum of science? Not sure what your budget is but they have different options. I think you might have to use their caterer though. What about the Gardener Museum or Harvard Museum?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Gardner doesn't do weddings, unfortunately.
  • Options
    marshallramarshallra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are two boat houses on the Charles River, one in Cambridge which is older and the community boat house near Watertown which is very modern but with a great view. The commanders house in Watertown is absolutely gorgeous and seems very private.
  • Options
    TheSlowskysTheSlowskys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all -

Our budget is max of 20k with everything.  Guest list is 150, hopefully 20 people will not come.  It's going to be tough.

I emailed the Harvard Museum of Natural History -- i assume that is where pp meant?  It looks nice, so thanks for the suggestion.  

I've also emailed Harvard Club (which I am sure is too expensive), as well as Commander's Mansion.  I will check out the community boathouse (I used to drive by it every day on my way to work).  I've read some not so nice reviews on the other boat house.

@llin - was the dancing at the Paine estate in the larger room?  I'd really love for that to work out since it is the least expensive for rentals (3500) and we wouldn't need a tent rental. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some of the non profits are tax deductable. If you google tax deductable wedding there is a lot of info on it.
  • Options
    thedivaonethedivaone member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Commander's Mansion is lovely, I was there for a wedding, but small.  Probably too small for 150 people.

The Museum of Science will not allow you to bring in your own caterer.  (I work there) so you have to go with Wolfgang Puck if you get married there.  I actually don't know what their alcohol policy is re: weddings.

HTH.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Highly reccomend Commander's Mansion -- just had our wedding there and it was terrific.  For 150 guests, you'd have to have dinner in the tent but like us could move back inside for dancing in the ballroom if you wanted to use more of the house.
    PM if any questions!
  • Options
    HockeyFan4HockeyFan4 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what about the Decordova in Lincoln (2 miles into Lincoln, on the Waltham line).

we had our High School senior dinner at the Paine estate and it was stunning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FYI: I saw the Harvard Club yesterday, planning on a wedding of a similar size and reception budget. They estimate spending $180 per person, covering food/beverages (not the cake) and venue fee. For that size wedding they give you the whole 1st floor. Reading room for cocktail reception, then three adjoining rooms for the reception. It's a very nice place, not really the atmosphere I was looking for... (a bit "Haaahvahd" for my tastes at least...), and quite expensive, obviously... good luck!!
  • Options
    TheSlowskysTheSlowskys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks again for the suggestions.  I have called and emailed a bunch of places recommended here so hopefully this update could help anyone else:

Paine Estate - still trying to schedule a time to meet - the lady seems really flightly and inflexible, so that doesn't make me feel great about her being in charge of my wedding.
    Harvard Museum of Natural History - nixed that outright because they don't allow dancing.
    Commander's Mansion - Have emailed 2x now without a response
    Decordova - $9k just to show up... way out of my budget
    Harvard Club - I think it was about $145 pp, which included a lot (but have 1400 to join).  Seems very reasonable for a more formal/downtown feel, but still out of my price range (When I said 20k, I meant everything, not the reception budget - I wish).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When are you getting married? The Gardner Museum is gorgeous and is going to start hosting weddings in the Spring of 2012. I just spoke with the woman yesterday and she was so excited to start working with weddings. They currently aren't scheduling any until March of 2012 but it's worth looking into if you are planning for Fall of 2012.

Good Luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_wedding-venue-cambridge-watertown-waltham?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:d4a05558-541a-46fa-866a-baacb272d1eePost:8aa541d3-a3e4-4616-8683-12598095992a">Re: Wedding Venue - Cambridge / Watertown / Waltham</a>:
    [QUOTE]When are you getting married? The Gardner Museum is gorgeous and is going to start hosting weddings in the Spring of 2012. I just spoke with the woman yesterday and she was so excited to start working with weddings. They currently aren't scheduling any until March of 2012 but it's worth looking into if you are planning for Fall of 2012. Good Luck!!
    Posted by Ashleigh828[/QUOTE]

This is awesome news! I think this will be a beautiful venue in the same way the Gamble Mansion used to be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been in a Wedding at The Paine  Estate it was wonderful.  The setting was awesome.  The Gore Estate is just as beautiful, better grounds and parking, they are great to work with.

Also they have a Bride's room for dressing , had hair and make up there.  Let me know if you need any referrals  or more help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards