New York-Hudson Valley

Catering questions

Hi everyone,

I think like many others, I'm struggling to decide between a more raw space (ie. a barn) with outside caterers, versus more inclusive venues.

One question is, whether anyone has recommendations for caterers who use local/seasonal ingredients for about $35 pp for food only.

Also, I'm wondering about rental costs. How much would it cost for basic rentals (chairs, tables, linens, silverware) for 100 guests, assuming cheap versions of everything? I realize that alcohol, cake, gratuity, tax, venue fees, ceremony fees, PA systems, tents, and bathrooms are additional expenses above that.

It seems difficult to compare prices. It seems like there are some pretty inclusive venues out there for $100 pp. On the other hand, the cheapest caterer I've found is $36 pp for food, apps, and dessert (but not drinks or cake). Are these comparable?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Re: Catering questions

• I used Thomas Fox catering and rental company (Mt. Kisco) for my wedding in Westchester- for about 110 guests and the rentals with tables, table clothes, silverware, upgraded chairs and all bartender and service charges and gratuity it came to about $7000. We had a pasta bar with sausage and meatball options and a chicken entree, hand-passed hot hors d'oeuvres during the cocktail hour, and all non-alcoholic drinks and mixers (alcohol was supplied by my ILs.) The PP price for our buffet was about $25 PP with another $8 for the hot hor d'oeuvres (cold apps and dessert are included in the buffet; we did red velvet cupcakes) and $3.50 for the non-alcoholic drinks and mixers. All the rentals are 20% off when the company provides catering and the things needed to serve the food (silverware, plates, cups, etc.) are included in the catering price. 

They were the best company for us and came recommended from our venue which was important because our reception was in a historical site where care had to be taken with the floors and walls. I loved working with Ed; it made our decision to opt for the raw space that we loved so much easier! It can be overwhelming to try and fill a space but with the right people working with you/for you, I think it can definitely be the right choice! 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards