Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Priscilla of Boston, Alterations?

Hi there,
   Has anyone had great luck or alternately horrible luck w/ Priscilla of Boston's alterations dept? I was able to get my dream dress at the Sample Sale this morning and now I'm just wondering about Alterations.
Thanks!

Re: Priscilla of Boston, Alterations?

• Options
    edited December 2011

I didn't use them, but I did use Chris O'hare in Quincy who was so fabulous.  I was told that my alterations would be close to $700 at Priscilla's and so I took it to Chris.  She charged less than a third of that for serious alterations on a heavily beaded and lace dress, and the bolero.  She also did the bustle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One of the married girls here had a total disaster with Priscilla's alterations dept. Like so bad she had to buy a whole new dress a few weeks before her wedding. From other girls, I have heard that they charge an insane amount of money for even basic alterations. You would probably be better off working with an independent seamstress. Chris O'Hare is in Quincy and Fay Carraher is in Billerica and they both get raves on this board.
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've also heard horror stories about their alterations department.  I'd steer clear!
  • Options
    megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, they get really bad reviews on alterations and customer service. Take it someplace else for sure!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my sister bought hers at the sample sale and had it altered and it was fine, but i'm being charged so much for my alterations. my dress is beautiful and customer service has been fine, but i think they ordered me a dress that was way way too big for me just so they could charge me so much. i feel a little screwed.
  • Options
    SueJWSueJW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Speak with the mgr and tell her on the Knot and you will be well taken care of.
    They live on long standing reputation for many years in business.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be the married girl, JB's is talking about. I will just say that their alterations dept. was so horrible that 2 weeks before my wedding I didn't have a dress and had to settle on a sample dress from another store. Everytime I look at my wedding photos I get so upset about my dress. Stay clear of POB alterations. They are overpriced, rude and completely ruined my dress. Blah....
  • Options
    kaitdonahuekaitdonahue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just ordered my dress from Priscilla's and was worried about alterations to begin with. I ended up agreeing to have a muslin version of my dress made first, and then alterations would be from there.  Have any of you gone this route and had a good experience?  THANKS
  • Options
    PinkTweedPinkTweed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also just recently ordered my dress at PoB and I was a bit worried about the alteration's department reputation so when they were taking my measurements, I asked to see the sizing chart to make sure they didn't order a couple of sizes up.

*I'm crossing my fingers it comes in ok*
  • Options
    AbsWeddingAbsWedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They charge a flat rate for alterations at Priscilla of Boston so there shouldn't be much  variation in what anyone pays. It does cost a bit but if you were to have a lot of work done it would cost you probably less than it would somewhere else. Obviously you run the risk cost wise if you don't need much work done but it would make no sense for them to order a few sizes too big because of the flat rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards