Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Website????

I, of course, have a wedding website.  I feel that the website should only be available to those who are invited.  However, through Facebook (where else?) I have had people who are friends there ask if we have a website and to see the website.  I think it is rude to send someone a link to the website, that includes the events of the wedding, etc. when they are not invited.  However it also seems rude to not respond with the website when the person asks.

I have been going with the "not invited no website" theory.

What does everyone think?  Is it different if they ask?  My fiance says that sending the website to someone uninvited without their asking is rude.  But, if they ask, it is not rude.  I see his logic but at the same time it just seems rude.....
Anniversary

Re: Wedding Website????

• Options
    With most of the wedding websites, you can set privacy settings so that people have to log in with a password to see certain details.  Just don't give them the password for the parts you don't want them to see.  That way, they can see your engagement story etc, but not the detail of where/when the wedding is being held.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:02d676e5-50cb-4d49-9b8e-b3f79777c274Post:2178f6d3-9810-4c19-af6f-c0d03da6bc91">Re: Wedding Website????</a>:
    [QUOTE]With most of the wedding websites, you can set privacy settings so that people have to log in with a password to see certain details.  Just don't give them the password for the parts you don't want them to see.  That way, they can see your engagement story etc, but not the detail of where/when the wedding is being held.
    Posted by Bkseller13[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Not rude in your opinion?  I am struggling with the idea that the website really should be for those we wish to invite.  And our guest list is final, so we know when someone asks if the person is invited.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Off to see if the site we used has this option.....
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:02d676e5-50cb-4d49-9b8e-b3f79777c274Post:4e395bdb-3a6f-4865-8313-ca13d2298678">Re: Wedding Website????</a>:
    [QUOTE]I mean, if you really want to, you could create a second website without the wedding details but I think that's just too much trouble to go to.  You could also just say you don't have one.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

<div>I have been saying we don't have one.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:02d676e5-50cb-4d49-9b8e-b3f79777c274Post:0ba26e34-b785-4c4f-a166-1c171906b796">Re: Wedding Website????</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Website???? : I have been saying we don't have one.
    Posted by lauraanne9[/QUOTE]

If you really want to make sure they don't check out your website, I would see if the site you're using has an option you can click to hide your wedding website from public searches like Google.

I first started making our site on some other website, I can't remember which--mywedding maybe? After making a couple pages I didn't like it and went to another site that we ended up using. I never thought about deleting the first half-finished one. No less than three people (aunts, friends, etc) searched for us, found the old half-finished site and posted messages to us on there. I never told them I had a website or gave this URL to anyone; they probably just Googled our names and wedding website (maybe to try to find out registry info?) Just saying all this to say that if you really want it to be hidden from non-guests and you are telling people you don't have one, I would make sure it's unsearchable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:02d676e5-50cb-4d49-9b8e-b3f79777c274Post:232628f8-75ce-4138-ba0c-1dcffd4256c9">Re: Wedding Website????</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Website???? : If you really want to make sure they don't check out your website, I would see if the site you're using has an option you can click to hide your wedding website from public searches like Google. I first started making our site on some other website, I can't remember which--mywedding maybe? After making a couple pages I didn't like it and went to another site that we ended up using. I never thought about deleting the first half-finished one. No less than three people (aunts, friends, etc) searched for us, found the old half-finished site and posted messages to us on there. I never told them I had a website or gave this URL to anyone; they probably just Googled our names and wedding website (maybe to try to find out registry info?) Just saying all this to say that if you really want it to be hidden from non-guests and you are telling people you don't have one, I would make sure it's unsearchable.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Our site is unsearchable through Google.  I did that already.  And it is not so much that I want it "hidden" from them as I feel that if they are not good enough friends to be invited (a lot of them are people I know from high school, haven't seen since, and the 20 year reunion is coming up in a year or so, so it is not even recent) and I just don't feel right with them having access to it.  Feels rude, to me, to have them with access to the site,to know details about us, buit not include them.</div><div>
    </div><div>However thanks for the tip, as I did have a site that I ended up not using...probably should google and make sure that one is "dead"

</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    yes I agree with setting a privacy setting and having a pssword also I think it will not be a problem to ask family and friends to don't share your website information.  
    Mr. & Mrs. Griffin
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-18?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:02d676e5-50cb-4d49-9b8e-b3f79777c274Post:b9e33bc7-e56f-4218-9631-c79709d9fbe9">Re: Wedding Website????</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Website???? : Our site is unsearchable through Google.  I did that already.  And it is not so much that I want it "hidden" from them as I feel that if they are not good enough friends to be invited (a lot of them are people I know from high school, haven't seen since, and the 20 year reunion is coming up in a year or so, so it is not even recent) and I just don't feel right with them having access to it.  Feels rude, to me, to have them with access to the site,to know details about us, buit not include them. However thanks for the tip, as I did have a site that I ended up not using...probably should google and make sure that one is "dead"
    Posted by lauraanne9[/QUOTE]

Its all up to you, there are the privacy settings you can do so people need passwords to certain pages, but if you dont want them getting to the site at all, just tell them that there is no site or that the site is for guest only.
  • Options
    Can you just reply to their request with a friendly "what would you like to know?"  That way they can get the information they want (if it's something specific) and gets you off the hook for sharing your site.  Obviously, you only have to share with them the information you want to share with them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards