Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wine/Beer/Champagne ONLY hosted bar question

We're only hosting wine/beer/champagne at our reception (being held at an Italian restaurant in the DC metro area).

Question: to avoid the awkward moment a PP mentioned when she witnessed friends go to a bar and order a mixed drink only to realize it cost cash (and they had none on them), do we:

* Write on the menu, "An assortment of beers, wine, and champagne"

OR

* Include it somewhere on the wedding website?

OR

* Post a sign at the bar "Hosted wine, beer, and champagne"

OR

* Do nothing (let word-of-mouth spread)?

Thank you so much everyone!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wine/Beer/Champagne ONLY hosted bar question

• Options
    I think menus are the best option.
  • Options
    A sign at the bar and also your bartenders can let your guests know as well when they place their order.

Also, if it would be possible, cover or remove all the liquor bottles from the bar.  Many times at weddings only those items offered are displayed so the guests know what is available.

• Options
    A sign at the bar is a good idea, I think. I also agree that asking the bartender to check with people who order things other than what is hosted, to make sure they know before the bartender makes the drink, would be a good idea. 
  • Options
    Ditto on the menu. Also, is it possible to remove liquor as suggested? I've been to several wine/beer/champagne weddings and have never seen liquor out. As guests allowed to buy their own drinks? I would suggest against this, just remove it and you won't have a problem.
  • Options

I agree w/all pp, a sign at both ends of the bar and have the bartender advise of cost before making drink & see if resturant would be willing to put a table cloth or something over the liquor so the guests will realize it's not included.

• Options
    Great ideas, all!  I think I'll make a sign for the bar and ask them to cover the bar.

Also, it's a single bar for around 120 guests; for the cocktail hour, I think I'm going to request tray-passed glasses of wine and/or champagne.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_winebeerchampagne-only-hosted-bar-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:08e29022-56f2-4901-bcec-6e1dd9fbce48Post:26195ca3-ccef-46db-b65b-f8f408904354">Re: Wine/Beer/Champagne ONLY hosted bar question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Great ideas, all!  I think I'll make a sign for the bar and ask them to cover the ba<strong>r. Also, it's a single bar for around 120 guests; for the cocktail hour, I think I'm going to request tray-passed glasses of wine and/or champagne.</strong>
    Posted by jenferian[/QUOTE]

I highly suggest this! I recently went to a wedding that had 2 bars, 2 bartenders each, for about 250 people and I waited in line for about 25 minutes to get a cocktail. I think only having beer/wine/champagne will speed up the bar line (no mixing necessary, just pour or pop).
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_winebeerchampagne-only-hosted-bar-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:08e29022-56f2-4901-bcec-6e1dd9fbce48Post:5cf1666b-2ce1-478c-b7d1-30bc15d41b72">Re: Wine/Beer/Champagne ONLY hosted bar question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wine/Beer/Champagne ONLY hosted bar question : I highly suggest this! I recently went to a wedding that had 2 bars, 2 bartenders each, for about 250 people and I waited in line for about 25 minutes to get a cocktail. I think only having beer/wine/champagne will speed up the bar line (no mixing necessary, just pour or pop).
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

Right! We have the spot for at least 5 hours, so I don't care about after the cocktail hour, but when people first show up after sitting/standing/kneeling through our full Catholic mass ceremony, I want them to have easy access to refreshments!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards