Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What to do about parents that don't get along?

I am completely at a loss for what to do. My Fiance's parents do not get along, and my own parentd don't even get along with his dad. If it were up to me, he wouldn't even be there. But I don't want my FMIL to have to deal with him. I need some ideas on how to do some partial arranged seating at the reception so they aren't at the same table, yet the family still get the tables near the head table. Please someone help me!

Re: What to do about parents that don't get along?

• Options
    WHy do'nt you sit his family together at a table and your family together at one table.

Why is this guy such a douchebag?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    except that FI's parents don't get along either. it basically would need to be 3 family tables: your family table, FMIL's family table, FFIL's family table.

and take this situation, swap the B&G's families, and you have my situation. my parents do not get along with each other. this is what we did for my sister's wedding (each parent basically headed their own table) and this is what we'll do for mine.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    oh, see, I just thought that FMIL hated her husband. If they are divorced, then yes. Three tables.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Seat 'em at different tables and then tell them to suck it.  They're grown ups; they can deal with it.

Dammit, Mark, bring me another sidecar!
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    yes fishy, IF they are divorced. I'm assuming here. if the ILs are still married and hate each other, they can suck it. they are grownups.

• Options
    pooh, ooooooh, cooooooopy....

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    Put a ring up at your reception instead of a dance floor. Set up a wager bracket instead of a cashbar, and start with your mom against his dad, then winner takes your dad, and his mom goes into sudden death match with that winner in the final round. You'd make a KILLING, as long as no one wagers on his mom. She'll take it all in the final.

Serioulsy, just tell everyone to calm thefuck down, and tell FFIL to stop being a douchebag, or he'll be booted from the wedding by the bride. MUCH more embarrassing than having your ass kicked by your ex-wife.
  • Options
    Haha Douchbag isn't a strong enough word, trust me. How do I choose who sits with who at those tables? Douchbag and his new wife at one, FMIL and her boyfriend at the other, then my parents at a third? I hope I followed that right. Thanks everybody.
  • Options
    Yes mam, and their respective families, if they have any.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options

LOVE the ring idea, and I actually have a cop buddy who is going to play the security role, and I will so kick him out. Mind you my FMIL is amazing and has never once complained about having to spend the evening with douchbag and his new wife. It is just something that I don't want to have to deal with on my wedding day, ya know? Though I would love to see my pretty white shoe shoved way up his you know where.

• Options
    sorry about the copy. not intentional, really.

• Options
    yea. my parents are grownup enough that they can tolerate each other through the course of an evening (even sitting at the same table) but they're tense the entire time. it's easier on me and them to just sit them at separate tables.

what's funny though: my parents love their respective ex's spouse. as in, my mom and stepmom adore each other. they call and email all the time. my dad and stepdad adore each other. they just drink beer and shoot the shiit whenever they're together. I told both of them that I'd have to get a keg of Old Milwaukee's Best Light just for the two men to drink all night and they would have a fvckin ball.

• Options
    Thank you everybody for all the advice! I still think the ring is my fav!
  • Options
    if you go with the ring, PLEASE post pics here after!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards