Wedding Etiquette Forum

Vents go here.

Today has been sooooo frustrating.

I wanted to go with my mother yesterday to get her dress altered. I told her to call the woman we're going to and see if we can just walk in. Without consulting me she scheduled an appointment for 1 pm. Okay, fine, whatever. It's that THAT big of a deal because I didn't have any concrete plans anyways, but she didn't know that. I'm getting ready to leave and she comes down to tell me that she called the seamstress and told her that we'd be coming in later because she was waiting on an important package that she could not leave the house without. Which was irritating because I had rearranged my ENTIRE day around the appointment she scheduled.

So I went out to run my errands on my own. I went to Wal-mart to buy ties for the WP and used the self check-out. I got 6 ties that were all exactly the same (so I thought) and instead of scanning each tie I thought it would be easier to scan the one six times. The cashier woman in charge comes rushing over to me and was extremely rude in telling me that I couldn't do it that way. Then she voids my entire transaction (I had other stuff too) and scans them one by one. Turns out one of the ties was a different barcode and was $5 more than the other ties. I don't know what was different about it, but it was somehow different. She then said "Oh, this is why you wanted to scan them all under the one tie."

....are you kidding me? You're really going to say that to a customer? I was literally speechless that she could be so inexcusably rude. So I just walked off and left. I should have really demanded to speak to a manager but I just didn't think about it.  
So anyone else having a frustrating day?

Re: Vents go here.

• One of the many many many reasons I do not shop at Wal-mart.  Their staff is cranky.

I am SO tired of living in a hotel room.  It's a nice hotel room, with a kitchenette and all, but I want to be in MY space again.  Tomorrow can't come soon enough.  If anything goes wrong to derail me moving into our apartment tomorrow I will cutabitch.  For real.  I'm a little emotional with all this upheaval in my life these days.
  • I hate the service at Walmart, but it's a trade off I suppose.

I work for an insurance company, and someone sent a mass email to everyone associated with our company, asking for donations for the relay for life/cancer walk fundraiser coming up. No big deal, but everyone kept "replying to all". People didn't read anything, because a solid 40 emails came through for 2 hours saying "don't hit reply to all". People need to fvcking pay attention. It froze our crappy computers up. No need to send 50 something emails to everyone in the damn company.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:9dc06423-89cd-4277-8d57-41d0b2d8f6af">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>One of the many many many reasons I do not shop at Wal-mart.  Their staff is cranky. </strong>I am SO tired of living in a hotel room.  It's a nice hotel room, with a kitchenette and all, but I want to be in MY space again.  Tomorrow can't come soon enough.  If anything goes wrong to derail me moving into our apartment tomorrow I will cutabitch.  For real.  I'm a little emotional with all this upheaval in my life these days.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

Ditto!
    F that poke, good for you for walking out.
  • Loopy - I know it sucks. When I was working with my dad I spent between 3 - 5 days in crappy hotel rooms. I hope it's all over tomorrow :  )

And that's why I generally use the self check out - usually no interaction with grumpy employees.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:027b3bb6-d019-4814-96b5-3be882998ddd">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Vents go here. : I don't see the big deal. Maybe she couldn't just walk in & figured it'd be better to make an appointment at that time than to risk not getting in at all. Also, why make it a big deal if you knew it wasn't? You didn't have plans, everything worked out- why get all huffy about it? I know you're venting, but I think you should just relax. I will agree it's annoying that your mom then wanted to change everything. I hate when people don't pay attention and hit reply to all. I also hate when I comment on someone's FB status and it turns into a huge conversation and I keep getting alerts on my iphone about it. I'm lookin' at you, LDY. I am dealing with an ongoing crappy situation at work and I'm fed up to HERE with it. Also, my H has worked about 160 hours in the past two weeks & they expect him to go to Germany in a couple weeks on top of that. I JUST WANT TO SEE HIM AGAIN!
    Posted by bree4305[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not all huffy about it. I just thought it was inconsiderate of her to make an appointment I was supposed to go to with her without checking to make sure the time worked for me. And had she not then cancelled the appointment she didn't ask me about, I wouldn't have evne mentioned it. The two put together is why it's included in the vent. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:9dc06423-89cd-4277-8d57-41d0b2d8f6af">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>One of the many many many reasons I do not shop at Wal-mart.  Their staff is cranky.</strong> I am SO tired of living in a hotel room.  It's a nice hotel room, with a kitchenette and all, but I want to be in MY space again.  Tomorrow can't come soon enough.  If anything goes wrong to derail me moving into our apartment tomorrow I will cutabitch.  For real.  I'm a little emotional with all this upheaval in my life these days.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

I'd be cranky if I worked at Wal Mart too.  I worked at Kmart when I was 16, that type of place sucks to work for...
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:6f306a7a-3465-4fdd-b30e-1a7d5a8eb672">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : I'd be cranky if I worked at Wal Mart too.  I worked at Kmart when I was 16, that type of place sucks to work for...
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

<div>I used to work at Staples. That place was awful as well. I get that, which is why I'm always VERY polite and friendly to my cashiers. But, as a cashier at a store I hated, I never took it out on my customers. Which is why it makes me even more mad when I have a rude cashier. </div>
  • my vent for today...

H and I went out to eat with MIL for a late lunch (we go out every week with her)...she was fine...until she had a sip of her second drink...when she stopped making sense, started getting irritable, and just kept pushing things.  It always happens when we go out.  H ends up getting upset...and I get extremely uncomfortable.  Next week we have plans to go to her house (so no alcohol in the equation) and I am hoping to convince H we should keep it this way every week.
  • My vent is that I've had horrible anxiety lately and I just want it to go away. I'm prescribed medicine for occasional anxiety, but this is hardly occasional at this point and I can't keep popping benzos all the time. Right now, I'm just trying to deal with it, but it feels like I can't breathe. I have some things going on right now, so I guess it's likely related to that... I just feel like I've been stressed out and anxious for most of the last 3 months and it's driving me nuts.

Also, there are oreos in the house and we're out of milk. I'm too exhausted to get milk, so I'm just SOL on that for the moment.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:3e04f14b-f554-4bc7-9fc8-c1885ae3aa92">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate the service at Walmart, but it's a trade off I suppose. I work for an insurance company, and someone sent a mass email to everyone associated with our company, asking for donations for the relay for life/cancer walk fundraiser coming up. No big deal, but everyone kept "replying to all". People didn't read anything, because a solid 40 emails came through for 2 hours saying "don't hit reply to all". People need to fvcking pay attention. It froze our crappy computers up. No need to send 50 something emails to everyone in the damn company.
    Posted by brittneyh4[/QUOTE]

People do that in my online classes sometimes, it's so annoying to have 50 new emails and have none of them be relevant to me.
  • I do, but that's another thing I can't eat without mlk. I'm probably just going to have to get off my butt and go buy milk at some point.
  • Angel - they weren't relevant to anyone. No one noticed every single one said "stop hitting reply to all". Our company's staff people clearly suck, nationwide.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:3e04f14b-f554-4bc7-9fc8-c1885ae3aa92">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate the service at Walmart, but it's a trade off I suppose. I work for an insurance company, and someone sent a mass email to everyone associated with our company, asking for donations for the relay for life/cancer walk fundraiser coming up. No big deal, but everyone kept "replying to all". <strong>People didn't read anything, because a solid 40 emails came through for 2 hours saying "don't hit reply to all".</strong> People need to fvcking pay attention. It froze our crappy computers up. No need to send 50 something emails to everyone in the damn company.

<div>People who hit reply to all to say "don't hit reply to all" need to die.  In fire.  It's unreal how stupid they are.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I work for a HUGE company - why hasn't MS Office come up with a way to keep people from hitting reply to all on company-wide messages?  They're not allowed to initiate messages to those distribution lists, why can they reply to them?  Stupid MS.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:c9dd7b0b-b4f9-4889-9f0d-05afd33a6118">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : I'm not all huffy about it. I just thought it was inconsiderate of her to make an appointment I was supposed to go to with her without checking to make sure the time worked for me. And had she not then cancelled the appointment she didn't ask me about, I wouldn't have evne mentioned it. The two put together is why it's included in the vent. 
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't know. You were the one that wanted to go with her so I would figure you'd have to go whenever she set up the appointment? </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited April 2012
    ceh - some also included "gingers have souls" "Johnny Depp is my lover" and "I love turtles".

I understand I'm wasting time on TK, but damn really? Way to make your office look like a ton of idiots. MS Office fuucks up 99% of the time here, I can't imagine them getting their crap together long enough to do something semi useful.

I suppose this shouldn't annoy me as much as it did. Stupid people irritate me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:30b8820e-a817-42df-8219-4feb50b643b5">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : I don't know. You were the one that wanted to go with her so I would figure you'd have to go whenever she set up the appointment? 
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

<div>Well since I'm paying for the alterations to be done I kind of HAVE to go. It's not something I really wanted to do.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:3f1a4499-745c-4a5c-9d41-64c6f6c709c8">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]ceh - some also included "gingers have souls" "Johnny Depp is my lover" and "I love turtles". I understand I'm wasting time on TK, but damn really? Way to make your office look like a ton of idiots. MS Office fuucks up 99% of the time here, I can't imagine them getting their crap together long enough to do something semi useful. I suppose this shouldn't annoy me as much as it did. <strong>Stupid people irritate me.</strong>

Actual stupid people don't really irritate me because it's not really their fault. It's moderately intelligent people who do stupid things that drive me up a wall... like intelligent people with no common sense. I just want to punch them in the face.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:aa09ed33-1875-4780-9124-1cef94e452e4">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : People who hit reply to all to say "don't hit reply to all" need to die.  In fire.  It's unreal how stupid they are. Also, I work for a HUGE company - why hasn't MS Office come up with a way to keep people from hitting reply to all on company-wide messages?  They're not allowed to initiate messages to those distribution lists, why can they reply to them?  Stupid MS.
    Posted by ceh789[/QUOTE]
    I worked for a school system in Virginia that was a whole county. There were over 80 schools with 100 staff members in each school. Somehow, someone sent an e-mail to the whole county and people started to hit reply all. This went on for weeks and responses were so lame and sometimes one word. Finally the superintendent said people could get in trouble if they continued the reply all to the whole county thing.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:b565e4ec-3909-4365-84b8-392d83b407fa">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : Can't you just have the place bill you? Or you could have gone by prior (at a time that suited you) to set up payment options.

<div>Unfortunately my mother is the kind of person that would lie about money. She would tell me the alterations cost $40 when they really cost $30 and keep the $10 for example. Also, this was someone she picked out. Because she's not footing the bill she also wouldn't really worry about how much it's going to cost. So if they want to charge something outrageous she wouldn't say anything about it and I'm stuck paying for it. Because she has these unfortunate tendancies I feel like I need to be there to make sure I don't end up getting screwed. </div>
  • Poke, I see why you were irritated with the mom situation...It's annoying when I plan my day around something and then it changes... especially if I wasn't originally consulted about it. Plus i'm sure after the Walmart experience, the whole day just seemed that much more annoying.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:3da35da2-8fb8-46f4-9b4e-6a0c1d5fec7c">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vents go here. : Well don't you have all the answers. Another option might have been to talk to the seamstress and say "Hey, my mom is going to come in for an alteration consultation. Please contact me after it to let me know what alterations will be needed and how much it will cost. I will be paying for your services, not her." This is what I did for GMs, who were getting clothing for the wedding from out of state and I couldn't be there, nor did I care to be.

<div>We're just rescheduling it to another day. It really wasn't that big of a deal. The only thing that really p*ssed me off was the rude cashier at walmart and I wanted to vent about it. I figured since I was venting I would also put that in because it was an irritant on top of being mad at the walmart lady.</div><div>
    </div><div>I do appreciate the advice though. If the next appointment falls through I will definitely do that  : )</div>
  • pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:93196c52-a301-484e-a373-ff36c10b92e3">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Poke, I see why you were irritated with the mom situation...It's annoying when I plan my day around something and then it changes... especially if I wasn't originally consulted about it. Plus i'm sure after the Walmart experience, the whole day just seemed that much more annoying.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

<div>Toooooootaly lol. I came home and vented on TK then ate a fun sized candy bar. 25 cal and .5 g of fat and it perked me right up! </div><div>
    </div><div>Edit - I used lol twice in as many sentances. Took one out - fail >.<</div>
  • My vent is that I was trying to help three customers at the same time when one lady gets mad at me for not recognizing that she was standing at the register first (she had walked away and come back when I brought over one of the other customers I had been working with.)  She got mad and started yelling and screaming at me!  "You seriously didn't see me standing here?!"  "I'm sorry ma'am, I've been working with three different people here, I didn't know who was standing where."  "I've been walking around for 25 minutes trying to find someone to help me." (which is crap, because there were people in the departments on either side, they were just also with other customers.) "Well, ma'am, I'm sorry, but I'm only one person, I can only help one person at a time."  The person I had walked over with offered to let the "lady" go first, but that just made her go off even more. 

Then two employees walked over, one who had her purse over her arm, which would indicate that she was off the clock, and the other who was getting ready to ring her up (we ARE allowed to shop too.)  The "lady" goes off all over again!  "Oh, well where were all of these employees before?!"  The one still on duty explained that she had been helping another customer and the other one was off the clock.  I'm trying to ring her up as fast as I can here.  Once I was done, she stalks off then comes back to thank the woman who let her go first and makes this remark about some of the employees here needing to go.  She said it loud enough that I'm sure she wanted us to all hear it. 

What a witch with a b!  I can understand being frustrated, but people can only do one thing at a time, and you don't yell and scream at anyone.  Just because I work here doesn't mean that I'm beneath you or that you can treat me like I'm less than human.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:3b612761-a0bd-4f44-82bb-7dfe0602b036">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My vent is that I was trying to help three customers at the same time when one lady gets mad at me for not recognizing that she was standing at the register first (she had walked away and come back when I brought over one of the other customers I had been working with.)  She got mad and started yelling and screaming at me!  "You seriously didn't see me standing here?!"  "I'm sorry ma'am, I've been working with three different people here, I didn't know who was standing where."  "I've been walking around for 25 minutes trying to find someone to help me." (which is crap, because there were people in the departments on either side, they were just also with other customers.) "Well, ma'am, I'm sorry, but I'm only one person, I can only help one person at a time."  The person I had walked over with offered to let the "lady" go first, but that just made her go off even more.  Then two employees walked over, one who had her purse over her arm, which would indicate that she was off the clock, and the other who was getting ready to ring her up (we ARE allowed to shop too.)  The "lady" goes off all over again!  "Oh, well where were all of these employees before?!"  The one still on duty explained that she had been helping another customer and the other one was off the clock.  I'm trying to ring her up as fast as I can here.  Once I was done, she stalks off then comes back to thank the woman who let her go first and makes this remark about some of the employees here needing to go.  She said it loud enough that I'm sure she wanted us to all hear it.  What a witch with a b!  I can understand being frustrated, but people can only do one thing at a time, and you don't yell and scream at anyone.  Just because I work here doesn't mean that I'm beneath you or that you can treat me like I'm less than human.
    Posted by mdeidre[/QUOTE]

This kind of thing is why I can't work with people anymore. I used to waitress and some people were so ridiculously rude. I'm surprised I was never arrested for assaulting someone with hot coffee or something.
  • I fking hate retail. I really really do. 

And I admire anyone that can be a waitress. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't. 
  • I'll never, ever waitress again. I got out of the business when the restaurant I worked at randomly closed down one day. I was out a job, but it was honestly the best thing that could have happened, because I was too comfortable to leave on my own. Now I'm a nanny, which comes with it's own set of challenges, but also plenty of rewards that I didn't get with waitressing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:d599c2a4-e210-480c-a7cd-b6a6dff8d194">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I worked in retail for a very short period of time and I don't ever want to do it again. You have a tough job. I will say that while working as a server, I learned A) how to be a good customer and B) if the customer is rude they sure as hell won't get the fastest/best service. <strong>I never spit in anyone's food or anything but I definitely let it sit on the prep station while I took a break instead of taking it out to a rude customer's table right away.</strong>

<div>That's awesome. </div><div>
    </div><div>I seriously hate when adults throw a hissy fit and then actually get their way. Or when they're rude to servers and then expects the server to get on their hands and knees for a good tip. It's kind of disgusting really the way some people treat others they feel to be "beneath" them. </div>
  • I could never be a food server, people just seem so much more inclined to yell at and talk down to them.  I don't know that I would spit in someone's food, but I can't promise that I wouldn't have before I became saved!   My mom was a server when I was a little girl, and she used to talk about how people treated her.  I never do that and I always tip well.  I stopped dating a guy because the first time we went out he was extremely rude to our hostess and our server and I could tell he was doing it to show off and try to make himself look important. Ugh, some people!
  • I've done multiple waitress stints.  It probably made me a nicer customer, but I also have litlte patience with poor service, but it's not that hard to meet a minimum standard of service.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vents-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0db30d39-d624-4d9f-a449-68c2c1efc2f5Post:70f8121c-ade1-4d87-9d54-fbee20b81166">Re: Vents go here.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I could never be a food server, people just seem so much more inclined to yell at and talk down to them.  I don't know that I would spit in someone's food, but I can't promise that I wouldn't have before I became saved!   My mom was a server when I was a little girl, and she used to talk about how people treated her.  I never do that and I always tip well.  <strong>I stopped dating a guy because the first time we went out he was extremely rude to our hostess and our server and I could tell he was doing it to show off and try to make himself look important</strong>. Ugh, some people!
    Posted by mdeidre[/QUOTE]

<div>Gross. I would have walked away right then. </div><div>
    </div><div>I get so irritated by getting bad customer service. I've always given excellent customer service no matter where I'm working. Like Loopy said, it's really not that hard to just be polite to people. And that goes for both employees AND customers ; )</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards