Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I'm wearing my judgy pants and they look terrible on me.

I cannot get over this and I think it's stupid and ridiculous that I'm so hung up on it. My friend's girlfriend has a six year old daughter and she's taking her to a Justin Bieber concert. I have no idea why, but I just think it's so inappropriate that this little adorable girl would walk around claiming to have Bieber Fever.

I mean it's sort of funny, haha, but when I was little I had absolutely no clue about these things. I guess the times have changed? Set me straight, please. I really want to like the new girlfriend!

Re: I'm wearing my judgy pants and they look terrible on me.

• Options
    What? You're judging the little girl for her music preferences?  Or her mom for taking her to a concert?
  • Options
    Her mom for taking her to the concert. I probably just don't know enough about Justin Bieber.
  • Options
    :)  I can understand your feelings.  Parents let their kids grow up and be exposed to things so fast these days.  I wouldn't judge her though, not for something like that.  Now if she starts letting her hang posters in her room and kiss them before bed, then you might start judging. 
  • Options
    I don't see the big deal.  He's only like 16 years old.  I definitely loved music even at a really young age.  When I was 8 and 9, I had posters of Kirk Cameron and Michael J. Fox on my wall and I know girls that age were going to NKOTB concerts.  Yeah 6 is young, but it's not too young to like a 16 year old pop star. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Dude, it's a concert, not an orgy. And I'm sure the six year old isn't going by herself. It's not your kid either. Why do you care?
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I think I had NKOTB fever when I was a little kid.  I don't see the issue. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    I guess I am confused about what it is you believe about Justin Bieber that makes it inappropriate for her to go to the concert.
  • Options
    You're right. And I have to keep reminding myself that it's HER daughter, not my friend's child who would basically be my niece. I really have no right to judge.
  • Options
    It's Justin Bieber, not the Pussycat Dolls or Eminem. It's just like when we were kids and liked New Kids on the Block (though I never did) or something. It's really no big deal.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am not really conversant in Bieber, but isn't his music pretty kid-friendly/age-appropriate?  I don't get the BFD.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    You should YouTube that 3 year old crying over Bieber, then.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-wearing-judgy-pants-look-terrible?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e5ab3fb-a528-48a9-883a-c717a81289d9Post:3656bd63-fcf8-4761-b617-9a4449614d26">Re: I'm wearing my judgy pants and they look terrible on me.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I had NKOTB fever when I was a little kid.  I don't see the issue. 
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]
     ditto.  My mom took me to NKOTB when I was 6. What's the big deal?
  • Options
    Yeah I would equate this to kids a few years ago (okay, more than a few years ago) being into Hansen or The Moffats or bands like that.
  • Options
    I heard if you play Justin Beibers music backwards, you hear satanic messages. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    When I was 6, I LOVED Michael Jackson (well, I still do) and Prince.  Now, Prince might have been an inappropriate concert to go to as a 6 year old, but I still don't see anything wrong with going to a MJ concert in 1985.  As long as they're not singing about or simulating sex on stage or using bad language, I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    My only concern with young kids and concerts is hearing damage.  A lot of those concerts are way too loud.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I wouldn't think twice about that. I bet 75% of the kids at his concerts are under 10.
  • Options
    Haha no, I know I'm being ridiculous! That's why I asked to be set straight. I had one of those freak childhoods where the only music played was Russian classical, and I know it wasn't normal. It's good to be reminded that everyone else had the same types of experiences when they were little and that I need to lose the attitude towards her for something I don't understand.
  • Options
    one of my best friends went to her first concert at age 5 and it was David Bowie. It's one of her favorite memories and she turned out fine...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah come to think of it, I was pretty in love with John Lennon when I was 10 and that's not all that much older... and the lyrics are far less "kid-friendly" (although I had NO idea what they were talking about).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-wearing-judgy-pants-look-terrible?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e5ab3fb-a528-48a9-883a-c717a81289d9Post:3be3f778-7f98-40a4-b618-140c6241b591">Re: I'm wearing my judgy pants and they look terrible on me.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dude, it's a concert, not an orgy. And I'm sure the six year old isn't going by herself. It's not your kid either. Why do you care?
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

This.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Just don't let her go "backstage", IFYKWIM.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-wearing-judgy-pants-look-terrible?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e5ab3fb-a528-48a9-883a-c717a81289d9Post:997aa6ce-08e5-4280-afba-1f44ed32c523">Re: I'm wearing my judgy pants and they look terrible on me.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just don't let her go "backstage", IFYKWIM.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>hahaha</div>
  • Options
    He likes the older ladies, anyway. From Taylor Swift up to Chelsea Handler.

I think when I was 6 it was Donny Osmond and the Hardy Boys. But no concerts. My first one would have been Kiss at 12, but I didn't want to go with my mom.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-wearing-judgy-pants-look-terrible?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e5ab3fb-a528-48a9-883a-c717a81289d9Post:997aa6ce-08e5-4280-afba-1f44ed32c523">Re: I'm wearing my judgy pants and they look terrible on me.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just don't let her go "backstage", IFYKWIM.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

"I'm with the band"
  • Options

These days 6 yr olds have cell phones so I'm not surprised.  I wasn't even allowed to use our house phone when I was 6.   On this though I think its fine.  Justin Bieber is pretty harmless.  And at least he isn't doing pole dancing routines like Mylie Cyrus!

BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My cousin's friend's hairdresser's sister knew someone who let their 6 year old kid go to a Justin Bieber concert and the kid got pregnant after being convinved by his lyrics to have sex in the bathroom.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I took my 8 yr old son to the U2 concert.  It was awesome and he loved every minute of it and I am glad he got to experience it with me.  It's not that big of a deal and I don't really get why you are judging her for it.  It's Justin Bieber not Nine inch nails.
  • Options
    Stella, I'm kind of inclined to agree with you. You know what I listened to when I was 6 years old? Whatever my parents wanted to listen to. I knew who NKOTB was at age 8 or so, but it's not like my mom would play them in the car. And no way in hell would my parents have shelled out money for a concert. They barely went to concerts themselves.

I can understand supporting your kids' interests, but more like if those interests extend to violin or gymnastics. I think it's dumb to invest that much time and money in a pop idol. Plus, I wouldn't take my kid to any concert that young. Maybe it's just me.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards