Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How long does a receiving line take?

My fiance and I are having around 80-90 guests at our wedding and we are considering doing a receiving line (just the two of us) immediately following our ceremony and leading into our cocktail hour. 

Can someone please let me know how long a typical receiving line takes for around 80-90 guests and just me and my fiance greeting them?  Is 15-20 minutes a practical target?  We're planning on doing our wedding photos during the cocktail hour (our wedding begins at noon, so taking photos beforehand doesn't work too well) and I don't want our receiving line to cut too much into that time. 

Thank you!

Re: How long does a receiving line take?

• Options
    Too long!

Table visits during the reception is a much easier and comfortable way to greet all of your guests.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    your estimate of 20 minutes is about correct
  • Options
    Forever.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Honestly, our receiving line didn't take as long as expected and we had about 100 guests.  It was probably around 20 minutes for us.
  • Options
    i would rather say congrats to you on the dance floor then spend 20 min in line.....do table visits and spare your guests the pain of standing in line.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had just under 100 guests and it was only the two of us in the receiving line and I'd say it took about 15-20 mins. Most people just hug you, tell you you look beautiful, and move on. They'll catch up with you at the reception.
  • Options
    Our wedding was at 11:00 AM and we did all of our pictures beforehand. Skipped the receiving line, and did table visits during the reception. It is workable.
  • Options
    I'm exactly the same as sara, only our ceremony started at 11:30. 

Don't say you 'can't' do pics before, fess up and say that you don't want to get up at the a$$ crack of dawn.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We did a receiving line and table visits.  It was a nice way to see the guests right after the wedding and it was a nice cushion before the reception began.
  • Options
    DH and I visited guests at their tables during dinner and thought that doing so was the best way to say thank you to our guests. A friend of mine got married a few years back and she had a receiving line. There were only about 50 guests, but I waited for almost an hour in line. Everyone wanted to chat with them and that held up the line.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards