April 2012 Weddings

Negative dad!

Hello, so my FI and I decided to have an April wedding. We are thinking the 28th. I told my dad, and he says, "I don't like April. April showers bring May flowers." I said, "Well you aren't getting married so don't worry about the date!" Why did he have to say that? I don't want to be jinxed. Are any of you fellow April brides nervous about that??? I feel like no matter what date we choose there may be a weather issue. How did you choose your dates??
December 2011 siggy challenge- Furbabies Photobucket

Re: Negative dad!

• I'm getting married in south Florida so basically i knew whatever date I chose would most likely have a 60% or higher chance of rain - people say it's good luck and I've seen some amazing black and white wedding photos with the rain in the back - so there are two positives for you. I'm thinking your dad was kidding with you - I'd just laugh it off and move on if it were me. I chose my date b/c I wanted spring but I knew flights to Florida would be ridic so we went with the weekend after all spring breaks are over.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Am I worried about my wedding because of some antiquated saying? no.

seriously, it rains when it rains.  In the summer depending on your area, you deal with humidity and storms too. 

If you are really worried, use weather.com's date checker.  Tells you avg. monthly temps and precipitation for your area.  In the city where I'm getting married, May is the rainiest month.  Tongue out

http://www.weather.com/activities/events/weddings/setthedate/
  • I am a Minnesota girl, so there is ALWAYS a chance for the four letter word (SNOW). Don't worry about it, my dad was the same way, he had a lot to say about the  month i was getting married in. He eventually  backed off becuase here it is the off season so we got discounts on alomst everything.

Your day is going to be beautiful no matter what! The way I figure if it snows a foot at least I still got to marry the love of my life...and really in the end isn't that the most important thing? Don't loose sleep, everything works out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sure it does scare me sometimes, but not enough to move my date. We have both the ceremony and reception inside, so there is nothing to worry about in terms of that. Props to you ladies and anyone else who can have an outdoor ceremony/reception, but I would be on pins and needles freaking out. 

I'll be a little bummed if it rains and isn't the sunshine-full day I've dreamed up in my mind, but since we'll be mostly inside anyway it's nothing major, and I'll still be married to the love of my life! 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Don't listen to that. It can rain any day of the year. Today, for instance. It's Dec 7 in NJ. It should be winter, yet it's 60 & raining. You never know!! There is no point in driving yourself crazy about it.

Plus, I really doubt your Dad was trying to be negative about it. If he's anything like my Dad, he was just making a light joke. It's us brides that tend to overeact and overanalyze everything we hear! Good luck!!
  • I'm also getting married the 28th! I knew living in New England there is always a chance of rain or who knows maybe even snow! Our engagement was long enough we didn't want to wait a couple more months to *maybe* get good weather in the summer. The chances of rain are just as likely then!

Plus my photographers told us if it rains, we're out there in it. Some of the best pictures are done in the rain. Check the weather a week or so before, and if it looks like maybe rain, go get a fun umbrella and rain boots and have fun with it!
    mikeandtine.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PP.  I live just north of Seattle, so you can pretty much bet on rain (or snow, it has snowed in April the past 5 years around these parts) any month of the year, especially April.  That's why we are having an indoor wedding, and our venue supplies umbrellas.  Lots and lots of umbrellas.  I figure if it does rain, oh well, we'll get cute umbrella shots with the photographer!

That being said, it'd be nice if it was sunny that day.  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • In New Orleans April is festival season and you have the best chance of good weather in April or October.  So that's one of the reasons we chose April (aside from other scheduling factors).  As long as you are planning an indoor event or the venue has an adequate plan in case of inclement weather, the weather will not cause major problems for your wedding.  No need to be a slave to superstition, when my matron of honor got married it stormed the morning of her wedding day and that was twelve years ago and they are still married with two cute little boys.

Sorry your dad was so negative...he deserves the deaf ear or the assumption that he was trying to be funny (but not succeeding) for that one.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • edited December 2011
    I had this whole formula for picking April for our date. I was previously married in May, so that was scratched off the bat. June is too expensive, July & August are too hot. My brother got married in Sept so I didn't want to have the same month as him. And I didn't want a fall or winter wedding so basically all that was left was April LOL

It can rain any time, and while my ceremony & reception are both indoors, I really want to take pictures at the arboretum nearby so I'm praying for sunshine. I checked the wedding  weather thing and it seems like it may be a good day. *fingers crossed*

ETA: My SIL had a similar comment, only I know she wasn't joking. Her exact words were "April? Are you sure? It's such a rainy month." 
    April 2012 March Siggy Challenge - Honeymoon!! Costa Rica
    Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 158 Invited
    image 129 Are Party Rockin!!
    image 23 Will be missing out!
    image 6 Can't find the mailbox!
  • HA HA HA!!!!!! Thank you all for your responses. I feel better. I guess he was kidding. I did get a little nervous when he said that. (Dad) but you are all right. It is what it is! I LOVE the idea of getting rain boots and having fun with umbrellas. That would be a wedding to remember with the photos!!! Thank you all! April 28th it is!!!! **Smiles!**
    December 2011 siggy challenge- Furbabies Photobucket
  • I'm getting married April 6th, 2012 and I'm not woried about the weather. I'm getting married no matter what. The weather is funny here in New Jersey so I just pray it be a good day on my wedding date.
  • We're getting married 4/21/11 and I can't tell you how many times I've heard that from people. I tell them, "Guess what?! It rains all year round. And even though I am a control freak, even I know I can't control the weather."  I had personal reasons for having it April 21st and rain doesn't change those reasons.

If they're that concerned, maybe they'll chip in for a tent so you're covered either way!
  • we are getting married April 21st and i choose this date because both my mom and grandma got married in April and i wanted a Spring wedding rather than a Fall. Where i live it could be rain, snow, 40 degrees or 80 degrees....Missouri weather is always crazy. It can rain just as much in October as it could in April. Like someone else also mentioned most of my wedding is indoors so i'm not too worried, we do have 2 places for pictures picked out. One is weather permitting, if not the second location is indoors.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards