Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

More to Love

Re: More to Love

• Options
    a size six in today's society is "average", a six 20 years ago was considered the ideal. so odd.
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • Options
    No way is a size 6 average in today's society.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Overweight women = freak show? Explain please. Sorry, this probably didn't sound at all how I meant it.  My point was that the whole premise of the show revolves around them being overweight.  I guess the term freak show came to mind not because I think they are freaks, but because I feel like they are being exploited (as in a freak show) due to their physical appearance. As an overweight individual, it irks me that this is the focus.
  • Options
    I agree, Cacoffer, that includes my husband.  He was never attracted to women who are on the thinner side.  When we met and I was a size 10, it was smaller than his other relationships, by choice.  He is well built and was always into fitness.  I have met a lot of guys who are athletic and attracted to curvier women. 
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    verona - You also have to account for size inflation over those 20 years, though. While everyone balks at "bridal" sizing, it's the true sizing that's been around since the 40's - 50's.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    The average American size is a 12.  It is a huge debate among designers deciding if they should loosen their sizes or start making bigger sizes. 
  • Options
    cacoffer - what she was saying is that the industry is tapping into one of two audience pools - people that watch the show because the subjects are attractive, and people that watch the show because they think that there is going to be a train-wreck.What we were trying to say is that the premise of this show makes a mockery of larger women
  • Options
    I meant that is is not seen as thin (a size 6) like it used to be 20 years ago...now if you are a six, you aren't seen as thin, just average.
  • Options
    I think 8 or 10 is closer to average right now.It just bugs me, shows that are based on looks, however thinly veiled it is.  Because you automatically get lumped into these categories and that's all you are.  It's pretty similar to the caste system of the medieval ages, only it's easier to move to a different looks caste.
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    Wasn't Marilyn Monroe a dress size 12 and pant size 8? I read that it's the equivalent of an 8-10 today. Many women strived to look like her because she was the ideal back then. When I was in Australia, I was on the cusp in terms of being plus sized. The standards these days and sad and insane.
  • Options
    I meant that is is not seen as thin (a size 6) like it used to be 20 years ago...now if you are a six, you aren't seen as thin, just average.Oh - gotcha
  • Options
    Sizes have already changed as it is, I've noticed.  What used to be a large is now a medium.  What used to be an XL is now just an L.    

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    That is true for a lot of mass market labels, now adding xxs and xxxs instead of being xxl and xxxl. 
  • Options
    it actually sucks that clothing retailers vary in their sizing- there need to be standards. I hate being a different size in every store! 
  • Options
    It would be better if it was a mixture of body types.Yes!  If you are trying to make the point that "love is for everyone" regardless of size, appearance, etc., then why don't they choose a range of shapes and sizes? 
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    East - I went into American Eagle to buy jeans a few years back and couldn't fit into my regular size. I knew that I hadn't gained weight or grown in any way, but I had to get the next size up. It was upsetting. The clothing industry is brutal.
  • Options
    I don't know how I would feel if I had to wear an XXS; not that it's something I would ever have to worry about.
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Yeah, why can't we just buy our pants and dresses in waist and chest measurements like dudes do with pants and jackets? Seriously.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    stella- because then there would be the issue of the guy always picking the thin pretty blonde...trust me, it would still be a problem...and then the bigger girls would complain they are not being picked because of their weight etc...a clusterfuck_ waiting to happen.
  • Options
    I completely agree Verona, I'm so sick of sizing being so different.  One store, I'm a large, another I'm a small, some shirts I'm an x-small, others I'm a medium.It makes internet shopping so damn hard.
  • Options
    My FI also is not into smaller women.  He has giant celebrity crushes on Christina Hendricks (Joan from Mad Men) and Whitney from ANTM.  I used to be a size 16 and am now an 8/10 and he would be sad if I lost any more weight.  Also...does anyone else find Luke hot?  Just me, then?
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I don't think that would work because not everyone is attracted to the same thing.  If the thin woman wins, it would be sizist and if a plus size woman wins, they are making a point.  It is a novel idea to think that is possible but men are visual, if they are attracted to something, they go for it.  If you have a big range and half is not what they are attracted to, that is just reality. 
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    Verona - Men have it lucky. When DH needs new pants, he can just grab them off a shelf. When I need new clothes, I have to wrestle with a variety of sizes in the dressing room. It's so annoying!
  • Options
    gg- welcome to my world!  I was at jcrew last week and couldn't fit into a pair of shorts that were my normal size...I couldn't do them up...and last year i had to go a size down in pants from the ver same store...wtf!?
  • Options
    See, what they need to do is to find a guy that actually likes larger women, but then throw a couple of thin blondes into the mix.  Then we could watch them get rejected and all feel better about ourselves.  :P
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    VS needs to get their shiit together too. I am 3 different sizes in underwear, sweatpants, and bathing suit bottoms in that store. Wtf.
  • Options
    My H likes small, petite women or at least he fukcing better! ;PI on the other hand, like curvier, taller women. I don't like seeing bones.
  • Options
    ggmae, right!  FI orders his pants online -- if I did that it would be a disaster.  I have to make sure they fit my hips properly, there isn't too big of a gap in the waist, etc. etc.  It's exhausting.
  • Options
    VS undie sizes are totally off! I find the same thing...never have problems with their bras though
  • Options
    I can't wait until I have that problem complaining about VS undies.  I haven't shopped at VS in such a long time. :(  That's probably first on my list when I go to buy new clothes.  I feel like it's a "skinny store." 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards