New York-New York City
Options

How long did you have your photog for?

For those of you who are already married, or those who have already booked their photographers, how many hours did/do you have them for? It seems like the typical number seems to be 8 hours, but I don't really feel like that's long enough, since I want getting ready pics and I want to do pre-ceremony pics with my FI, family, WP, etc. I also want pics of the cake cutting and our exit, but I feel like 8 hours isn't enough to both get the beginning and the end. What do you guys all think? For those of you who had your wedding, did you feel rushed with the number of hours that you had booked with your photog?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long did you have your photog for?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have mine booked for 8 hours. I asked my photographer why that was so common and she said because generally they only stay through the cake/bouquet toss etc in the beginning, then snap a few reception pics and leave. She said you really don't need 500 of people dancing, they will all look the same after a while. So I imagine if you want pics of your exit they will have some downtown during your reception. Is there an all-day option?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, some have like 10 hour or 11 hour options, which seem like they would provide me with the kind of coverage that I want. Of course,  they're more expensive! :) I guess  I understand what your photographer means by all the pictures starting to look the same...but I feel like I would want someone there to capture stuff that might look the same to them, but would be special to me--like if my college friends and I end up doing the Macerena toward the end of the night or something (because naturally, I would want all my embarassing moments captured!).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can't have it both ways - either you opt to pay more to have your photographer there, just in case, or you go with the standard. Most receptions run 5 hours (1 cocktail/4 dinner/dancing); ceremonies are usually 30-1hr; so that leaves two hours for prep time and pre-ceremony pictures.  Of course, I think if the time runs long, the photographer isn't going to just leave, but that's the break down of your average day. You can always cut some of the before time by already having your hair done (and possibly make-up) and just have the photographer there to shoot you putting on your dress and being with family before doing portraits, bridal, etc.  Otherwise, sit down with the photographers you are considering and give them an idea of your time line and see what they say. Another option you can do, provide favor cameras to take pictures of late-partying candids during the reception.  Sometimes guests get pictures photographers miss. My friend recently got married and we left early; they had a few more pictures from the reception but the rest was really from friends.  You'll have to contract for OT.  GL.
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we have ours for 13 hours b/c we have a lot of time in between the ceremony and reception (ceremony 2pm, reception 6pm + venetian hour). It's not like they are going to go shoot another wedding after mine.  you should def bargain with them for extra time. 
  • Options
    esuvakesuvak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had ours for 11 hours, but I think he actually ended up staying longer since he was there until the very end (even though I didn't expect him to be).  The timing ended up perfect, as he was there for a lot of the getting ready, plus pictures and then the whole reception - and he caught some of the crazy dancing that went on at the end! 
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    definitely for the crazy dancing at the end lol.  my photographer wanted to leave before the venetian hour but i told him i want him there for that.... that's when most of the funny/crazy stuff happens on the dance floor LOL
  • Options
    hollylfkhollylfk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our photog for 10 hours (1 pm - 11 pm)... we did photos around manhattan for two hours before the ceremony. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards