Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How to introduce my extra brother?

OK, so FI's dad is hosting the rehearsal dinner and wants me to introduce/point out my family, and FI is doing the same.I've got 3 sisters and a brother I grew up with, plus a bonus brother. My mom gave him up for adoption in 1959 when she was 19. They reconnected 5 years ago, and have seen each other a handful of times.BB and I have developed a nice relationship b/c he lives in CO near FI's family, but of course it's different than the one I had with my brother I grew up with.I know my brother feels jealous and threatened by BB. He's avoided meeting him, so the RD will be their first meeting.How to I do the introductions? Do I introduce him as my brother? Or will that hurt my other brother? Do I introduce him as a bonus brother? My mother's bastard son? Any thoughts? WWYD?

Re: How to introduce my extra brother?

• Options
    My mother's bastard son? LOL...I might want you to try this one...
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    And let's not forget about my long lost brother _______. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Yeah, I like that Mandy.  I can introduce the 3 sisters and their family, then my bro, then introduce edward as a long lost brother who came into our lives 5 years ago.  That works.
  • Options
    i would tell brother to suck it up and it's not his wedding and if you want to welcome bonus brother than that's your perogative!  but that's the type of relationship that i have with my family--i can tell them to go jump!
  • Options
    Well, technically they are half brothers too. I would ask you BB how he would like to be introduced and if he wants to be introduced as a brother and you feel comfortable calling him that (or BB) then do so. Think about it positively and maybe your RB will hit it off just like you and BB! It will probably be awkward anyway, but that's the nature of the beast. It think it's amazing and special.
  • Options
    Well, he is your brother so he should be introduced as such! I second Mandy's wording; "long lost brother" sounds good to me. And if it really grates on your brother's nerves, introduce him before you introduce your bonus brother.
  • Options
    How very 'Brothers and Sisters'!  I would just introduce him as your brother now that you have built a relationship with him.  My mom has seven siblings and she is closer to some than others but at the end of the day they are all brothers and sisters.  You could introduce him as your half-brother if you prefer, but I wouldn't mention anything about him being given up/lost/not around for a long time.
  • Options
    Or I suppose you could say brother and half-brother.
  • Options
    He's your brother. You have a relationship with him. Introduce him as such. Your other brother needs to get over it.
  • Options
    I would just say my brother
  • Options
    Good suggestions.  Thanks!
  • Options
    I would just say "This is my brother, BB."
  • Options
    Wouldn't most people at the RD already know the story of your long lost brother anyway?  I mean, it is just close family and friends right?   How much introduction do you really need here?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When it's your turn, you point to the area where your siblings are seated, and you say: OK, my turn! I have a whole bunch of siblings! I want everyone to meet Mary, and Janet, and Susan, and this is Mark and this is Jason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards