Options

I'm not J & K but...

2»

Re: I'm not J & K but...

• Options
    I am having a green monster smoothie.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, lunch!  I had Panera.  Yum. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I had soup with a side of death penalty.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Haha, when I posted mine, people seriously said "I had this for lunch and prostitution should be legal" like it didn't even faze them.  I was bewildered by that.

• Options
    I agree with everyone who has said it's a hypocritical punishment, that's always bothered me.  That being said, I am completely against the death penalty for murderers, but wish they would implement it as a punishment for child molestors. 
  • Options
    Nothing much fazes me on here anymore. :-)
  • Options
    Why is it cool to kill in one situation but not another? Just curious. I think child molesters are absolutely sick and they have a disease. There aren't the tools out there for people to seek help on their own without being seen as a criminal or turned away, if they realize these tendencies before they act. I had leftover pasta for lunch. And a Bam Bam for dessert. (A rice crispy treat, but with fruity pebbles instead...pebbles...bam bam...get it? There's some other disgustingness that goes with that name, but i won't go there in the same post as child molesters)
  • Options
    [i]That being said, I am completely against the death penalty for murderers, but wish they would implement it as a punishment for child molestors. [/i] Sorry, but I think this is completely stupid.
  • Options
    That's actually not the first time I've heard something like that.  I agree that it doesn't make much sense and I'm interested in hearing the logic behind it.

• Options
    I'm on the fence too. It depends on the situation.
  • Options
    That being said, I am completely against the death penalty for murderers, but wish they would implement it as a punishment for child molestors. Sorry, but I think this is completely stupid.Salt, don't lie.  You're not the slightest bit sorry ;)

• Options
    Oh, J&K, what did you have at Panera? Baked potato soup, broccoli cheddar, oh, the Asian salad?
  • Options
    Half Chicken Caesar Sandwich and a half Asian Salad.  Yum.  I could eat there every single day.  It's only a mile from my apartment.  So dangerous.

• Options
    Have any of you had Camille's Sidewalk Cafe?  We just got our first one in St. Louis and I am officially addicted.  It's like bread co but way better.  Love.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Sorry, bread co = St. Louis Bread Company (The real and original name, btw) = Panera
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Oh, we have a Camille's here!  I didn't realize it was a chain.  I've heard it's delicious, but I've never been there.  Now I might have to go.

• Options
    Ok yeah you're right. I'm really not. :-)
  • Options
    The Camille's in SuFU sucks.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I must say I love these lunchtime threads - "hanging, hanging, soup, lethal injection, smoothie."I had tuna salad on a bagel.  And fruit salad.  It was yummy.While I think a lot of criminals deserve to die for their crimes, the cost issue and the DNA argument both sway me over to the anti side of the debate.
  • Options
    Well, there's the fact that it's morally wrong, and expensive, and not a deterrent. For me, the two biggest problems, though, are:1. Fallibility. Humans are fallible, and the court systems are fallible, and there is always the likelihood that an innocent person will be wrongly executed. This has happened many times. Better to incarcerate a hundred murderers for life than to execute one innocent person.2. Racism. It is just true that the rate of African Americans to whites on death row is highly skewed vis-a-vis the actual population. Avoiding the death penalty is a lot harder if you can't afford a fancy lawyer or any appeals. The death penalty is not applied evenly or fairly, and therefore should be abolished.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Interesting point.  But, I'm sure you know that the population of convicted criminals and those awaiting trial is also disproportionate.  So, theoretically, shouldn't it be the same on death row?  (I'm not disagreeing, just playiing devil's advocate.  I actually did a project on this disparity).

• Options
    Just for the record (not that this in any way makes it ok) in every state that I know of, there is at least one automatic appeal when someone is sentenced to death row.  Also, just because there are more African Americans on death row than is represented in the population doesn't mean racism is the only cause.  Certainly it doesn't help, but sometimes the numbers just end up that way.  It is possible that there just happen to be more crimes committed by African Americans (or any other ethnicity) than by Caucasians.  Not likely at all and I agree that racism is much more likely, but still.
    Married
    Planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards