Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

PR Disaster (re: SELF Magazine)

please tell me someone else saw their editor "defend" their excessive photoshopping of Kelly Clarkson's body on their recent cover. It was beyond pathetic, and I have no idea how their PR department let this happen. They should have listened to their readers, admitted their mistake and moved on.
My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com

Re: PR Disaster (re: SELF Magazine)

• Options
    I didn't see it, but I did hear earlier this week that they basically said something along the lines of the cover is not supposed to be realistic, it is supposed to portray the best a woman can be?! So...the best I can be is something I'm not and have to accomplish with photo editing? I haven't heard either, but has Kelly Clarkson said anything about this whole thing?
  • Options
    well the today show wasnt justifying it- the Self editor was. I work in PR, and all i saw across the screen was big red words flashing "disaster disaster, abort, abort!"
  • Options
    i saw the cover and kelly's comments about it - basically she said it was stupid to make her look like that on the cover, and she's happy with the way she is (i think). but i didn't see the editor trying to defend it.  what did he/she say?
  • Options
    At least the headings were fitting.[img]<a href="http://mtblog.self.com/magazine/blogs/lucysblog/Sept09.SELF.cover.72dpi-thumb-251x360.jpg" rel='nofollow'>http://mtblog.self.com/magazine/blogs/lucysblog/Sept09.SELF.cover.72dpi-thumb-251x360.jpg</a>[/img]
  • Options
    Sorry Brit, by THEY I meant the editors. Yeah, they said they wanted her to "look her best" or something like that. Puke. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32393894/ns/entertainment-celebrities/
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    well the today show wasnt justifying it- the Self editor was. This is what Fishy meant.  "They" was "Self," not the Today show.Anyway, I'd like to hear more about what they said too!  How extensive was the photoshopping?
  • Options
    Wow...I hadn't heard about this, but that looks nothing like her. It looks like they just chopped her head onto a new body. It's amazing the time and effort that goes into stuff like that. I worked for a clothing/shoe company in Santa Barbara and had to photoshop the hell out of the models we shot for catalogs all the time.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Kelly Clarkson is overweight. There is no other way to say it. She lookes good and is happy with her body, but she is overweight. IF SELF chooses to use an overweight woman on their cover, then they need to let her be who she is instead of shaving 40 lbs off of her frame.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    She is no where near 40lbs overweight. She has put on some paunch in her stomach and arms, but she isnt fat.
  • Options
    There is a big difference between smoothing wrinkles in a shirt or editing out a flyaway piece of hair, and what they did to that image. The fact that the headline about the Kelly Clarkson story was about being loved for being yourself just makes it so much worse. I agree Verona - if you chose to feature someone who may be overweight, don't portray them as not. Plenty of women would appreciate seeing someone who exercises, but still does not look like the "typical" cover model. There would have been nothing wrong with that cover.
  • Options
    This is what they said on their site:[url]<a href="http://www.self.com/magazine/blogs/lucysblog/2009/08/pictures-that-please-us.html" rel='nofollow'>http://www.self.com/magazine/blogs/lucysblog/2009/08/pictures-that-please-us.html</a>[/url]
  • Options
    What I wouldn't give to see the unretouched photo! I like that best self=skinny.  Guess when I was anorexic I was my bestest self possible!
  • Options
    Girls it's easy to obtain the perfect body, just change your picture! Wow, I wish I had the photoshopping while I'm walking around all day. Everyone could see my best.
  • Options
    Nebb- I am not sure what her BMI is, but to me she looks about 30lbs overweight, maybe 40 was pushing it. have you seen her most recent photos? it is not only in ther stomach where she's gained, she also ained a significant amount in her arms and legs.
  • Options
    I'm not really shocked they did this.  What they don't seem to get is, no matter what her weight, Kelly Clarkson sells albums.  Not because of her looks, not because of her size, but because she is a good vocalist, and we know she's not all fake and digitized like other singers out there.  She's real.  There's nothing wrong with that, and they should seriously stop trying to make it wrong.
  • Options
    I think it's hilarious that one of the cover stories is about body confidence.  And they photoshopped a chubby cover model to the point where she doesn't even look like herself.Because, that's how to get body confidence.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    amen moose, amen.
  • Options
    Another Photoshop FAIL is the Got Milk? ad with Dara Torres.  It looks like they put a man's torso on her!  I know she's fit and that swimmers have broad shoulders and all, but come on.
  • Options
    coco- at least she is an athlete
  • Options
    What they don't seem to get is, no matter what her weight, Kelly Clarkson sells albums. Not because of her looks, not because of her size, but because she is a good vocalist, and we know she's not all fake and digitized like other singers out there. She's real. There's nothing wrong with that, and they should seriously stop trying to make it wrong.Well said!
  • Options
    Coco - That picture makes baby Jesus sad.
  • Options
    coco- at least she is an athlete What does that have to do with it?

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    Yeah I would love to see the explanation for that also.
  • Options
    huh. I realize that 99.9% of every photo I see in magazines is photoshopped.  Anyone see the kardashian one where she wasnt? I get Self magazine. when it came, I thought that Kelly was really thin compared to what the everyday photos show.  But Mags run a few months behind so I didnt think it was impossible for her to have been thinner and photoshopped on top of that.  But geez, what they did is ridiculous.Anyone see the pic in this month's Glamour where the girl has a fuupah?  in an article about body image?  I was impressed it was printed.
  • Options
    weird, I saw the Dana Torres ad in a magazine and it didn't look remotely that photoshopped.  It didn't look 'shopped at all.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I love the response on Jezebel.  One of the editors compared this situation to when she comes back from vacation & only frames or shows people the pictures of her & her family smiling and looking nice.  Jezebel responds by stating that that's a reason for not putting a photo of Kelly Clarkson on the cover with her eyes closed, not photoshopping her to death. 
  • Options
    Yikes... I like in the video how she snapped at Emme for calling it Shape instead of Self.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards