Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Crap my father says:

"It's ok for everyone to change into jeans at the reception, right?"

Re: Crap my father says:

• Options
    Haha, that's funny since that is what H's half-brother did as soon as pictures were finished.  He was a groomsman and was MIA during the introductions since he was still in the bathroom changing his clothes.  Idiot.
  • Options
    Ha! I've seen this done at a lot of weddings, actually.  
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    If he's paying then of course it's okay.;-)
  • Options
    That really bugs me. 
  • Options
    Seriously? You can't stay in dress pants for a couple of hours for a wedding and reception? My dad is a farming, blue collar man and my sister had everyone in jeans and sweaters for her CO Christmas wedding, except herself, her husband and my dad, and even he stayed in his suit all night, with everyone else in jeans. I just don't understand why it's so difficult to just keep your suit on. Look at women. You don't see us putting on our sweats and sneakers at a wedding!
  • Options
    Look at women. You don't see us putting on our sweats and sneakers at a wedding! Speak for yourself, missy!(Kidding, again, of course.)
  • Options
    OMG. My uncle a couple years ago at my cousin's wedding changed out of his nice suit to jeans and a button down harley davidson shirt complete with flames that rose up from the bottom of said shirt. It was HOT (uh huh... get it? hot - flames? hu huh).
  • Options
    My family had a nice sit down dinner reception thing for my Grandparent's 50th anniversary party. The invites were formal and everything. Me, FI, 1 aunt and my grandparents were the only people not in jeans. Apparently most of my Aunts and Uncles are hillbilly'sand no, he isn't paying for anything!
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    My husbands entire family did this - they dressed up until right after speeches and changed into jeans and tshirts. Just another reason why I have a low opinion of them... If I could hang out in a fancy dress with boning ALL DAY, surely they can wear dress clothes for an entire evening.
  • Options
    I don't understand this and have never seen it happen IRL. Why would it be ok?
  • Options
    My ribs still hurt at teh mention of boning.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    It happens a lot at small town weddings. I can't give you a really good reason why, but it just does.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Honestly, if your reception isn't being held at a venue with a dress code, I don't see why this isn't okay.
  • Options
    I don't even understand the logistics of it. Are they planning on bringing a bag full of clothes with them? And the bathrooms at our reception place has 2 stalls, I can't imagine a line forming to change clothes?One of FI's cousin's wore jean shorts to his sisters (sept) wedding.
  • Options
    Well...yeah. Or change in the car or a gas station on the way over.I'm not being facetious, that's just how it's done.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    If it is what your crowd does then obviously it is fine. However, I just do not understand why any one (bride, grooms, guests, any one!!) would want to?? How often do you get to get really dolled up for a really special occasion? Is it really thaaaat hard to stay in a dress or nice slacks?This would just never even occur to people to do at the weddings I have been to.
  • Options
    Some people don't like to be dolled up and find it very uncomfortable.I'm not saying that it's right to do, but I'm saying that I wouldn't be suprised if I was at a wedding and this happened, nor would I really care all that much.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    My daughters wedding was a two hour drive from her grandparents  home, so they got a room and stayed.  When my dad started getting ready for the wedding he realized that he forgot his suit pants. He was willing to miss the wedding because all he had was jeans.  Well I was having no part of that so he attended in his jeans and suit jacket.  He was so embarrassed but he was the only one that really noticed, well him and my mom. It was funny.
  • Options
    I had one person change into jeans for the reception. He had on a suit for the wedding and changed into jeans, birkenstocks, and (during our wedding processional) hanging DH a tapped up large brown box with a present in it. Here's the thing, I'm from a smaller town, he's from Miami. At other weddings this guest has been at, he always wears a suit. I guarentee that he thought that this was farm country and that was OK. That being said, one of my friend's dad's packed a six pack in his truck and carried around his own beer in his coozie all night.... could have been worse ;-)
  • Options
    Some people don't like to be dolled up and find it very uncomfortable.Oh I know. My whole wedding my brother was giving me pleading eyes like "it is ok to unbutton my tux now right?"But, I think as adults there are cases in life where being dresses is appropriate and you do it.
  • Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't care if they all showed up in jeans. It's them and I love my family. I was just surprised at what someone (My Dad) thinks is ok ettiquette. I hear this kind of stuff all the time from people. I should right a book.
  • Options
    I was just surprised at what someone (My Dad) thinks is ok ettiquette. I hear this kind of stuff all the time from people. I should right a book.Write a book. FYI.Also, I don't think it's poor etiquette for a guest to wish to change clothes. It's poor etiquette for you to be offended by it.
  • Options
    It may not be poor etiquette for guests to change, but I find it a touch immature.  Big boys and girls can stay dressed for a few hours. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah I am not sure how much this issue is etiquette related as it is plain old being a grown up for a few hours.
  • Options
    pumpkin - you really think it's ok for guests to change in to jeans at a wedding? really? 
  • Options
    I think it's acceptable to be okay with guests wearing what they feel comfortable in at the reception. Provided it doesn't have a dress code. So yes, I do. Besides, in my area, it's pretty common for receptions to turn fairly informal.
  • Options
    The formality of the ceremony dictates the formality of the reception.I think this has less to do with 'areas' or 'regions' then it actually having to do with socio-economic circles.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I think its just laziness. Is it really so hard to wear a suit or a dress/nice top and dress pants for the 5-6 hours you will be at the wedding? Are "comfy clothes" REALLY necessary? I dont normally dress up, EVER, but I dont instinctively bring jeans to weddings to change into later.
  • Options
    Ha!  Uh, Noooooo.
  • Options
    My MOH changed after dinner sometime before we left.....I didn't even notice until I got the pictures back and saw her dancing. I don't really care.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards