Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Flu vaccine nasal spray?

They are offering both the shot and nasal spray at my doctors office.  I don't really like shots, but don't know anyone who had the spray.  I read online its just as effective and may have fewer side effects.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: Flu vaccine nasal spray?

• Options
    I'm leary of nasal sprays as they can cause sudden hearing loss which if not caught immediately can be permanent.
  • Options
    It should be just as effective as a shot, and its a much better choice for people who are very anxious when it comes to shots (mainly because those people wouldn't get vaccinated in the first place).Also, the flu can lay dormant for a few hours which is why sometimes people believe that the flu shot gave them the flu after a couple of days.  Its the same with the nasal spray.  If you were already infected when you get the shot, then within a couple of days you could possibly start to feel the symptoms.
  • Options
    Actually, the nasal spray actually contains live virus.  So you CAN get sick from the nasal spray, unlike the vaccine.  FYI.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    My daughter had to get the spray because her pediatrician was completely out of the shot.  She was happy that she didn't have to have the shot, but not so much after they did the first side.  It seemed to be much more unpleasant to have the spray than the shot.  Like a pp said, it is the live virus so you could get the flu from it. Also, it isn't really a spray.  It is more like liquid that they put into a syringe and shoot up each side of your nose, so really it is like a double dose.  It may be different for adults, but for my 4 year old, they had to do it in each side.  She couldn't blow her nose or sneeze for something like 1 hour or so.  If I were you, I'd just get the shot.
  • Options
    I have had the nasal spray. It's not that bad.
  • Options
    I've never had the nasal spray, but just a side if you know anyone who is going to have a baby then the hospitals near me won't allow people in who've had the nasal spray on the maternity floor because of the live virus and it can more easily effect the people around you...particularly infants.  I always get the shot though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards