Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Please talk me down...

I have a gyno visit tomorrow.  I am dreading it.  I know that I need to embrace getting in the stirrups, but it just causes me so much anxiety.  My last visit was last year April, so I'm a little overdue.  My last visit was so panick inducing.  The doctor was very abrasive and they had to put me on a tilting table because she couldn't get to my cervix.  Ugh.  Just thinking about this experience is making my stomach turn.  I feel like just ducking the whole thing.  Please talk me down.  I don't know if I can go through with it. 

Re: Please talk me down...

• Options
    If your Dr was abrasive, could you get a new Dr?  I think having a cool GYN is important.  You don't want someone messing with your poon if you don't like them. 
  • Options
    Just remember how important yearly checks are, to catch and prevent any number of serious problems.Do you have a female doctor? That usually makes me feel more comfortable.
  • Options
    I had one a few weeks ago.  It wasn't fun.  I recommend tylenol beforehand, but it is for your health. If you stress it'll make you clench up and then it'll hurt more, so being stressed isn't helpful at all.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I would suggest getting a new doctor if you had a bad experience. I miss my old Gyno... he always made me laugh which sounds strange but it helped me relax. He told me I turned blue down there when I wasnt relaxed, which I thought was funny. Take deep breaths, close your eyes and try to relax while youre there tomorrow. If you have a similar experience to last time though, id look into getting a new one.
  • Options
    Yeah E, I changed doctors, but the anxiety is still there.  I just feel like the situation is going to be just as bad.  I can only recall one visit where I idn't feel completely humiliated after and that was a loooong time ago.
  • Options
    I'm going on Thrusday.   But for some reason I've never had an issue with it.  Not that I enjoy it, but I do not stress over it either. Can you try and different doctor?  Maybe you just do not feel comfortable with this one?  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    If my gyn was abrasive I'd definitely be searching for a new one.You'll be okay, though.  Just take deep breaths, and try to think of somethign else.  It will be over before you know it.  Also think of the possible consequences of putting it off even further.  You don't want to find out too late that there's something wrong.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I miss my old Gyno too.  She always just talked about cats the whole time.  Weird now when I think about it, but it was nice and distracting. It'll be ok!
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Yeah it sucks.  But, you need to go every year.  My mom died of cervical cancer at 47 years old because she missed a pap here and there.  The first missed pap being in her 20s and then again when she was 39.If that won't convince you to go, I don't know what the fuuck will.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    Just remember how temporary it all is. No matter how awful it can be, At MOST you are in the stirrups for 10 minutes, if that. Even less for the actual pap smear. You can do anything for just a few minutes, especially if it means the difference between early detection and full blown cervical cancer. Hang in there! Think about how great stepping on the scale beforehand is going to be. How far are you down from last year? That would be enough to make me want to go to the doctor!
  • Options
    Just remember there it could always be worse. I cried at my first visit, I still dont feel comfortable with people poking at my vag, but hey its a fact of life. Yoiu'll be fine, bring your iPod maybe?
  • Options
    Ditto Mandy.I had an abnormal pap and it scared me, so I skipped the next two years of appointments.  When I fianlly went back, they had to do a more in depth test and it turns out I had precancerous cells on my cervix and I had to go to the hospital for a cone biopsy.  I ended up fine, but I still think "if I would have kept waiting....what could have happened?"  A few moments of discomfort is worth knowing that you're healthy, I think.ALso, I'm glad you found a new doc.  I hope this experiance is better for you!
  • Options
    Thanks Bec!  I'm down 31.  This is a full physical, so I'm actually looking forward to see where my weight falls on the medical scale.  
  • Options
    See? There you go! My doctor high fived me for being just 15 lbs. lighter at my last appt. I love her! I also get really, really, REALLY chatty when I'm nervous, so in the 7-8 minutes for my exam she learned all about how FI and I met, what my girls think about him, and every single detail about my wedding. She was probably worn out after seeing me. Just start talking about the growing season for dahlias or something to get your mind off your cervix for a few minutes. Works for me! :)
  • Options
    Thanks Peyton for the advice.  I hope your results come back normal.
  • Options
    I have a lot of anxiety about my annual exams as well. Here's what helps me: First, take a pain reliever before you go. I usually take an extra dose to calm my nerves. I know it's bad for me but it helps so I do it. If your doctor isn't really talkative or takes a while, consider taking an ipod or something so you can distract yourself from what's going on. Also, I'm a big stress ball in general so I have a bunch of stress toys as it is. If you're high stress about other things, I recommend looking into getting some of these. If it's just this, silly putty, a rubber band, or anything that will keep your hands busy for a little while will help relieve the stress just fine. I've been told to take a book to read while everything is going on but it's usually not enough of a distraction for me. Just take deep breaths. Also, work on other things for your wedding - I'm sure you still have plenty to do. Filling your time with other things will help to take your mind off of it.
  • Options
    April those are good suggestions.  I may try some or all of those! :)
  • Options
    You could always insist that the dr get you drunk first before he can see your vag, just like all of the other guys. ;-)
  • Options
    Sara - how did you know! lol
  • Options
    You can do it! Just do what everyone else says and it'll be fine. I don't have gyno anxiety, but I do get a little anxious when going to the dentist. I just try not to think about it until I'm sitting down in the chair. I've been trying to get my 20-yr old sister to go for some time. She's not sexually active, at least, but she needs to go and get it over with. She claims she'd rather not know if she had problems (i.e., if they told her she was infertile, she would rather just not know), but personally, I'd like a little warning if I'm dying. So we'll see if I can convince her before her 21st birthday.
  • Options
    Peyton, your exam is on my son's birthday, so now that I've associated your biopsy - you will definitely be in my thoughts.  I don't have a history of cancer in my family, but diabetes.  I'm also being screened for diabetes and I hope those results come back normal as well.
  • Options
    Also, I've had two abnormal paps in the last five years, and had to have biopsies both times, and the anticipation (both before and after) is way worse than the procedure itself. So just a regular ol' visit is a cake walk in my life, I guess.   Speaking of, since my yearly date was pushed back due to last year's abnormal pap, I need to go ahead and get one scheduled; it takes a couple months to get an appointment. 
  • Options
    Georgia - I will definitely not bow out.  I hope all goes well with your visit. Peyton, my fellow Virgo - I'm wishing you an early birthday as well! Happy 30th!
  • Options
    This sounds weird, but try thinking about sex. A pap is the least sexy thing in the world, so you can't help but laugh and relax. =)
  • Options
    I once made the mistake of letting the nurse know I was anxious about my exam.  The doctor had the nurse come in with her to ease my anxiety.  Umm, the whole reason I am upset is becuase someone I don't know is touching my junk,  having another stranger watch sure as hell isn't helpful. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards