Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

guest attire???

I'm asking opinions.... what do you think about having a black and white dress attire for the wedding guests?  Not formal with bow ties and gowns, just black & white informal???  TIA

Re: guest attire???

• Options
    Don't tell your guests what to wear.  HTH!
  • Options
    So like, I could wear black jean daisy dukes and a white bra?
  • Options
    Nope, that's too strict. You can say "black tie", "semi formal" or "casual" but that's it.Anything else gives the impression that your guests are props.
  • Options
    I don't enjoy being told what to wear.  Even if it's a costume party, I at least want to choose which color costume to wear.  What is the point of this? Aren't black and white decorations enough? 
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I would wear the biggest poofiest white dress I could find.  Hey, just following your mandated dress code. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    Ditto PPs. Telling your guests what to wear is a no-go. The only exception is if the venue has specific dress requirements, but I can't say I've ever heard of a venue requiring black and white attire.
  • Options
    Luckily, your guests are adults who can dress themselves or children with parents who can dress them.  It works out pretty well.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I don't get it.  What if someone shows up in a white dress and all your guests get confused and can't figure out which one is the bride?  Or worse, thinks it's a joint wedding!  Or thinks the other girl is the bride? 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Don't tell your guests what to wear.  And do you really want to take the chance of guests wearing white dresses?
  • Options
    It's not my wedding... I was asked this by a future bride.  IMO, I don't like to be told what to wear either, add to that the fact that the bride should be the only one in white.   I just wondered if this was a new trend and wondered how you ladies felt about it.  I think we're on the same page...Thanks!  I'll have to tell her she may have some peeved guests being told what to wear!  lol
  • Options
    WTF is with the background? Talk about hard on the eyes.
  • Options
    I gave this kind of a passing thought, but realized that most of the guys would wear black suits, and since most women know better than to wear white to a wedding, the black and white thing would turn into all of the guests wearing black.  Probably not what your friend has in mind.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I don't think it is a great idea. I'm not trying to be a downer, but think of it this way: Your guests are already spending money to give you a present, if not just to come for those who are OOT. Why make them spend more money just to attend your wedding if they don't own something that fits your dress requirements.Please do think about this before you move forward with this idea.
  • Options
    I think its a fun idea but I guess its not a good one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards