Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Passing. Out.

So, I'm sick. But it seems like a run-of-the-mill upper respiratory cold--lots of coughing, and such. But, last night at about 2 a.m., I woke up with a bad stomach ache. I made my way to the bathroom, and as soon as I got there--this wave of nausea washed over me, I got incredibly hot, and thought I was going to be sick. The next thing I knew, I woke up on the bathroom floor. I have no recollection of falling--but, I managed to knock the toilet paper off of the holder, and the air freshener out of its plug. I was also completely drenched in sweat. I've never passed out in my life, but I am positive thats what happened last night--I just have no idea why--I don't feel sick enough to have caused that. Anyone else have anything like this happen to them?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Passing. Out.

• Options
    Yikes that sucks.  I've passed out before.  You are lucky you did not hurt yourself.  You might be dehydrated.  Drink lots of water.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    have you ever had a kidney stone? this sounds a lot like the s/sx that accompany those types of problems. usually people report more pain that you are, but the idea of waking in the night with pain, feeling nausea but not vomiting, and then being drenched in sweat is also common for that type of thing.
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Loss of consciousness = go to doctor.Seriously. You don't want to mess around with anything that is going on with your brain. My brother went through a period in his late teens when he thought he had the flu, and kept waking up under his desk, and it turned out to be the first stages of epilepsy. You need to be monitored to make sure you are okay.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    I've been drinking lots of water/tea--but my idea of "lots" might not be enough... I googled Kidney Stones--but that doesn't seem to fit. FI is adamant about my going to the Dr. (he's a worry-wart, especially because I have a rare autoimmune disease that he's constantly monitoring). But, it's Sunday, and holiday weekend--so I'm not able to get an appointment until Tuesday. Oy.
  • Options
    Honestly, I don't want to scare you, but with the memory loss and the things knocked over (are they close enough to each other that you could have knocked them over by simply falling?), plus the sweat, it sounds like you might have had a seizure. Those are the kinds of things that make my brother know he had one: unexplained broken or knocked-down objects, fluid loss, and plus he never remembers anything from the episode. I'm glad your FI is making you go to the doctor on Tuesday. This worries me.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't say that's kidney stones. I have kidney stones and it's a constant pain that gets worse as time goes on and sometimes I actually do throw up from the pain. And I haven't passed out yet from kidney stones. I have had them 5 times since I was 20. (I'm 25.) No fun. Definetely go to the doctor, passing out obviously is not a good thing. Better safe than sorry and all that. Hope you feel better!
    Photobucket
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Stephanie  Castiglione's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    I would drink more water than tea.  Also Gatorade will add some eletrolytes

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    This happened to me last year. I woke up in the middle of the night and went to the kitchen to get some water b/c I wasn't feeling well. I ended up passing out on the kitchen floor. I went to the dr. and they did all kinds of tests and it turned out that I was dehydrated and that going from lying down to standing up quickly, caused me to pass out. I would reccommend going to the dr. They will run a bunch of tests and check your heart, but it's worth it in case it's something serious.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies--I will definitely get into the doctors as soon as possible!
  • Options
    I pass out somewhat frequently (whenever I get nauseous to the point of vomiting) and my mom taught me that when I start feeling hot, hit the bathroom floor.  That way you can't fall and hurt yourself because you're already there AND the cold tile will wake you up/cool you off.  Feel better!
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Drink lots and lots of water and/or gaterade to get your system back and hydrated. Also I recommend what Brie said about if you get hot just sit down.When I passed out a couple summers ago I started getting "tunnel vision" and feeling nauseous. I remember telling Dh "I need to sit down now" and bending my knees. Next thing I knew I'm propped up against his chest, he's crying, my niece is screaming because "Auntie went to sleep too fast" and there's an ambulance pulling into the drive.
  • Options
    oh gosh...swine flu :( I shouldn't have gone to that website--now I'm convinced that's what's wrong with me.
  • Options
    Don't freak out or anything! It's completely treatable. My mother just works for a pharmeceutical company and they had an HR meeting about all the symptoms. So I had just heard all about it from her when I read your post....the symptoms sounded similar. I didn't mean to scare you! Just wanted you to consider every option and make sure you see a doctor! I hope you feel better soon!!
  • Options
    Don't freak out over swine flu. You'll be completely fine if that's what you have. You should definitely go to the doctor touch since you did pass out.
  • Options
    So my post is way late, but I wanted to add my two cents. I've passed out numerous times in my life, about half for no explicable reason. Sometimes it just happens, and it sounds like you just fainted (it doesn't sound like a seizure at all to me). You were probably unconscious as you feel, which is why you don't remember it, so it's not memory loss. When I faint I have the same symptoms: nausea, hotness, then major sweating - which is the body's way of cooling you off. One time I had food poisoning that caused my stomach to be upset and caused passing out intermittently, so you might consider that; or it might have been a simple case of syncope. But I'm not a doctor, and I agree with PPs that you should go see one as soon as you can. Especially considering the coughing and (I assume) a sore throat. It must have been very scary for that to happen though, I know it freaks me out every time it happens to me. So I hope you start to feel better really soon!
  • Options
    Panda--you're not too late--I still saw the reply. I am not sure what the difference is between fainting and passing out--all I know is that I had never experience before, and I was totally freaked out by it. I haven't had much to eat because I've been feeling so run down--so I doubt it was food poisoning, but I can't say for sure. Then again, it's not often I wake up with stomach aches bad enough to send me rushing to the bathroom...I'm just happy I didn't hit my head on the bathtub--I was a few inches from it! Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Options
    Fainting is the same as passing out is the same as syncope.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards