New York-New York City
Options

Help! Photographer costs?

Hey guys, we just had a phone meeting with a photographer we were interested in, and she quoted us $12,000! I was NOT expecting that. It was our first quote, so I am feeling a little depressed -- can we expect all good professional wedding photogs to start around that price?Also, if anyone knows of an inexpensive photojournalist-style photographer (that you didn't just mention in that "photographers NYC" thread), I'd love more recommendations if they're out there.More importantly, though...can anyone give me a basic ballpark for what a good midrange photog would run? Because yikes!

Re: Help! Photographer costs?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    12k is ridiculous.  The photographers I was looking at when I was choosing were more like the 3k-4k range.  My photog is in that range and I mentioned him below.  Kella MacPhee is also great and she's in the 3-4k range, I think.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh thank God. "Ridiculous" was exactly what I was hoping someone would say. Thank you so so so much. *Starts breathing again*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The $12K included 8 hours of photography (w/second shooter), photos posted online, 15 prints, 200 proofs in a book, CD/DVD with all photos. I guess if I asked for just the 8 hours, no second shooter, and just digital (online and CD) it would be less. But probably not enough less. We only wanted to spend around $3-4K.
  • Options
    leebeenycleebeenyc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    12k is high, the top photographers go for that but you definitely find a lot with everything included under 5k.  I shopped around a lot before choosing my photographer and anyone over $5k I automatically crossed of my list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, this is really helpful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Susan Stripling is awesome, she is high, but no where near 12k and her packages are flexible so things can be taken away and added. I will also suggest Kimberly Salem again as her prices are SO reasonable and she does nice work with light.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Now I'm so curious which photographer you had the phone meeting with!  $12K is definitely high - some of the most published photogs in the city are a little less than that.  I think of mid-range as being $4500-6500, not including albums or engagement photos.  I think of $7K-10K as being in the high range, and the few above $10K are a fairly small group of the most well known names.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are definitely plenty of Photogs in the 3-4k range. I'm using Patricia Kantzos, but I also looked at Agaton Strom, Jennifer Davis, and Jen Huang, all of whom were willing to work with my budget
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kriserinkriserin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's crazy.  I'm using Craig Paulson, he's style is photojournalism and so far everything has been great.  He is much less than that, I think we wound up around $5.000.  His prices are on his website.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    12k is definitely ridiculous! You should check out Amy Prikazsky Photography-She is located in SC but travels all over for weddings and she is absolutely amazing photographer! Hope this helps...   www.amyprikazskyphotography.com  
  • Options
    MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's - that is the highest quote I have ever heard of! We had two shooters, one videographer, over 600 touched up proofs printed, over 3,000 non-touched up proofs on CDs, three 5-chapter DVDs, two raw-footage dvds, two parent albums and our album, all for $5,000!! I used Duet Wedding, and they were excellent. www.duetwedding.com
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using Joseph Lin and paying less than 1/2 that. His prices are on his website. http://www.jlinphotography.com/
  • Options
    lizzonyclizzonyc member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photographer is in your range...check him out!! www.mattramosphotography.com HTH :)
    Married 10/10/10 Baby due 10/03/11 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker My Bio/Blog...updated 9/01
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to be a little cheesy: I love this community. It's so empowering to come in here and know there are people who can help you out. It's so much easier now to NOT get ripped off.I don't think I should post the photographer's name; she seems really great and maybe we accidentally did stumble on to one of the most famous photograhers in the city or something. They've been nothing but nice -- except for the price-gouging. :)
  • Options
    lizdalizda member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photgrapher is in the 4K range and I absolutely love our pics! Check out Kristine Foley at www.kfoleyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Call Kenny Pang.  He is within your budget.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    12K is generally for the "society wedding" photographers. i am paying half that for someone who is top-notch IMHO. for photojournalism style, you could try Clark Jones www.clarkjones.com (not exactly sure what his range is these days since it's been a few years since i worked with him).
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "I don't think I should post the photographer's name; she seems really great and maybe we accidentally did stumble on to one of the most famous photograhers in the city or something. They've been nothing but nice -- except for the price-gouging. :)"That's probably exactly it -- as mayflower said, there are a number of photographers who can and do charge that, and are worth it because of their talent and reputation.  It probably isn't price-gouging.  Everything in the wedding industry is jacked up price-wise, but a wedding photographer who charges $12,000 but is comparable to less expensive photographers is going to have a pretty empty dance card.As others have noted, you'll have no problem finding a great photographer who doesn't charge as much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone here - our photo AND video are coming out to about 5-6K - mayflowerbride - do you have any pics of you rwedding @ AO, I am getting married there next may and would love to see how you decorated the place!
  • Options
    tucci013tucci013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As mentioned by others, that price is obscene.  Who's the second shooter, Jesus Christ?  We used and adored Agaton Strom for about  1/3 that cost and tons of people have told me they are some of the best wedding photos they have ever seen.Obviously, part of that has to do with the subjects, but still.... ;)
    August 2012's May Siggy challenge: Favorite TV mom:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Umm yeah that's crazy.  We're using Kimberly Salem and I love her.  Just did epics all around the city and it was so much fun.  Plus, she's super affordable.www.kimberlysalem.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely only $3k-$5k is enough, we booked with dreamlife wedding photos& video, their work can compare with the so-called celebrity photographers, and the quality of the albums are just nice. You can check them out: www.dreamlifeweddings.com, the ppl there are nice and they would love to provide references and stuff
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hijack the post - just wanted to respond to linaxz - I'd be happy to email you some photos if you want to share your email address...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    just thought you might want to check out my wedding day photogs....and they are currently running a contest for free wedding photography!!!!! http://www.agaimages.com/blog/?p=402 Aga Images
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thats INSANE....... holy moly thats a lot of money

Shes so amazing to work with, super relaxed, gorgeous pics and great prices. I think she's worked as a second shooter with a lot of high end photographers and is really good

GOod luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm talking to the photographers from http://www.1314studio.com
    I like their style alot and their package includes two photographers, 10 hour coverage, and etc . They're new comers, so I guess the price may be raise in the future, but now it's beautiful pictures at a reasonable price.

They're around $2000 range depending what you want, something I always like, good stuff t good price SmileLaughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards