Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Awkward or cute?

My dad died when I was eight.  My mom hasn't remarried.  I want to do something in lieu of the traditional father-daughter dance just to mention him.  It's been 18 years since his death, and our family is definitely at the "fond remembrance of him/laugh about the good times" stage rather than the "cry and feel sad" stage.When I was three, he taught me to sing Jimmy Buffet's "Cheeseburger in Paradise" to entertain his brothers/friends during football game halftimes.  Even when I was a little older we would sing it together, and it always reminds me of him.I'm considering, at the reception, getting up after our first dance and saying something (deadpan) along the lines of, "As most of you know, my dad is no longer with us.  This song was really significant in our relationship, and in his honor I want you all to come out to the dance floor with your loved ones to help me pay tribute."  And then cue Cheeseburger in Paradise/good times. Awkward or cute?
two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: Awkward or cute?

• Options
    I think it's cute.  It's something important and memorable, but still funny and lighthearted, so people should have fun with it.
  • Options
    I'd just have the DJ invite everyone to the dance floor without mention of it.  Put the song on.  Those who knew him will know why you're playing it.Side note: A friend of mine told me of a really cool way to honour a parent.  I guess the groom's mom loved her coors light on a hot summer day.  So, they had shot glasses at the place settings and then during toasts they told everyone to look under the table and there was a couple cans of beer.  They did a toast and did a "shot" of coors light.  SUper cute idea.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I think it is a good idea.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I vote awkward. Sorry. I would do what Mandy suggested. I lost my mom, too. I don't care how long it's been; it's always going to be Debbie Downer to mention death at a wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    it's a cute idea
  • Options
    I think it is cute and because of PMS, it made me teary, almost.
  • Options
    Question- If I might ask.. Who is walking you down the aisle?My father passed away when I was eight as well, and my mom never remarried either... However, I have no close male relatives and my mom really wants to walk me down the aisle.  I was just wondering if anyone else's mom was going this.
  • Options
    go with your heart on this one.  if you really think the guests will 'get it' and it won't turn into an awkward memorial, then go for it.  depends completely on the crowd and your Dad's remembrance.  I think it might be lighthearted and fun if you really know how it will be recieved.  wouldn't work for my parents, but that's me.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My mom is walking me down the aisle. My mom HAS remarried...but I don't feel like it's anyone else's place beside my mom's to give me away since my dad can't. I'm currently debating doing something similar w/the dance or just skipping it all together.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    IMetYou: My mom is walking me down the aisle.  It wouldn't make sense for anyone else to do it--we've always been really close.I'd obviously clear this with my mom first, of course.  Thanks for the feedback! 
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I do think it definitely depends on the crowd, but I think it would be well-received.  He was a fun guy and it'd probably be our first dance song if he was still around!
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks.  I don't know anyone else whose mom is doing it.. so I wasn't sure if it was unheard of... Also, ironically I had lunch at your reception site this past weekend and it was really nice.
  • Options
    Meh. Even if it could be a little sad, I say do it. People will take their lead from you - if you're happy dancing to it, they will be too. And it wouldn't be a wedding without a few tears being shed. :)
  • Options
    I think it would be fun & keep the memories fun
  • Options
    I like Mandy's idea.
  • Options
    Very cute. I wish we could come up with something fun like this to honor FI's dad.
  • Options
    I think it would be very cute.. especially because the brothers & friends would remember it from when you were younger..
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I think some memorials at weddings are just sad, but this seems like a really touching idea. If I were a guest I'd dance and have a good time while shedding a few happy tears I think.
  • Options
    I like this idea.  Made me tear up a little while reading it.  I wouldn't think this would awkward in the slightest.  I say do it.
  • Options
    I think it would be cute and fun for those who know the story and like to dance, and awkward for those who don't really get the significance but then feel obligated to get up and dance to the song.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto dani.Also, darksideofthemoon--My mom walked me down the aisle.  There are pics in my married bio if you want to look.  I couldn't imagine anyone else doing it.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards