Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dating Anniversary

If you're already married, do you still celebrate your dating anniversary?If you're not married yet, will you?
Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio

Re: Dating Anniversary

• No, H thinks dating anniversaries are stupid and was looking forward to being married so he didn't have to deal with it anymore.
  • We don't do much to celebrate, usually just a nicer dinner.  Today is our 5 year DA, which is 2 months before our wedding date, Nov. 14.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • A while back, we went to a restaurant and filled out a comment card that happened to ask us our anniversary. We weren't married at the time so we filled out our dating anniversary. Now they send us a gift certificate for a free dinner every year during that month.So in short, we'll probably continue to celebrate, if for nothing else but to get a free meal :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Depends on what's going on that day.  If we're working, don't have any other plans probably.  We will use any excuse to open a nice bottle of wine.  :)Ours is on a friday this year so I imagine we'll have a nice dinner and/or go to a movie or something.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Our dating anniversary is Valentine's Day, so we will continue to celebrate it. Me too, Nugget! Well, at least we met on V Day.
  • RP-FI and I did that too.  I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of the restaurant's generosity!
  • Ours is Sept. 8 and our anniversary is Sept. 13, so we won't really celebrate both.  We DID acknowledge it a couple days ago though...but we're very excited for our 1st anniversary celebration!
  • Am not married yet, but I have no idea when our dating anniversary is. So I am guessing not.
  • We just use it as an excuse to go out to dinner and have a planned date night.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • We're married and plan to celebrate our 4-year dating anniversary on September 26.  Another reason to celebrate!
  • We didn't celebrate our dating anniversary before we were married, so no we won't now.  We'll celebrate our wedding anniversaries though.For our first anniversary, since the traditional gift is paper, we spent the day together making handmade paper in our garage.  It was a lot of fun.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Neither one of us remembers our dating anniversary.  Is that bad?  We've only been together for 2 1/2 years (including the six months we've been married).
  • FI is a sap.  Someone on Bridezillas said they were getting married on Valentine's Day, the most romantic day of the year.  He turned to me and said, "No, the most romantic day of the year is December 9th!" (our dating anniversary)  We'll almost certainly acknowledge it, but probably with nothing more than a nice dinner and a couple of sappy text messages to each other.  I don't see it as a gift-giving occasion.We also celebrate Valentine's Day on February 16th.  It's just as arbitrary, and everything's on sale.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • What do you all consider your dating anniversary?  Is it the anniversary of your first date or when you became "official"? 
  • We celebrate our dating anniversary & prob will when we get married too.. We used to celebrate every month on the 10th.. now we awknowledge it but dont celebrate every month, just years.
    Photobucket
  • We celebrate our dating anniversary, but in a different way than our marriage anniversary. Our wedding anniversary is typically a dinner out at "our restaurant," which is both our favorite restaurant and the place where we got married. We get dressed up and a have a special night "romantic" night for the two of us. DH has been buying me a gift for that even though we agreed we weren't going to exchange gifts :-) Our dating anniversary is different. We celebrate typically on the closest weekend to that date (which happens to be this weekend!) and we recreate the night sort of -- we go bar hopping and go to the same places we went the first night we met. It's funny and fun because we never go bar hopping and we never really go out with the intent of drinking all night, except for this once a year. The night tends to be more "sexy" than "romantic." It's a fun way to remember the immediate attraction we felt for one another that night. No gifts.
  • No, we're shifting to the wedding anniversary.  Didn't really observe the dating anniversary anyway.  Well, he didn't observe it.  I did.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Absolutely yes. On our first date, we met at this Chilis for lunch.   So every year on that date, we go to that Chilis for lunch. That singular moment was an important moment - and from that moment, everything else has followed rather naturally and wonderfully. I had no idea that celebrating that date each year would be seen as immature, stupid, silly, wasteful, and fuuuuuk no like what are we...  16?  We don't see it that way at all.And we do celebrate the wedding anniversary too - occurs 7 months after the dating anniversary so these two celebrations are spread out.  For the wedding anniversary, we will take a trip somewhere, like Sarasota or Vegas, etc.
  • FI and I started dating November 11th, 2007. We are getting married on November 7th, 2009. FI's birthday is November 5th! Therefore, we plan to have a rockin' celebration for like a week straight!! :) Can't wait for that lol.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We celebrate the date we met, but only in a very low key way - a card, a nice dinner (at home or out) and sometimes a small present.  I'd say we'll continue to do that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards