Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Sunday--bad idea?

Is it a bad idea to have a wedding on a Sunday? I've heard some people talk about discounts for having a Sunday wedding, but other than that, what are some thoughts on a Sunday wedding?

Re: Sunday--bad idea?

• Options
    A couple at my church did their wedding during the regular Sunday service, since they figured that most of the people they wanted to be there would already be there anyway.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a Sunday wedding.  Not many out of town people will probably make it, and it should be earlier in the day.  However, the ones I have been to were really nice.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    SarahSmile23 had a Sunday wedding.  I think it went pretty well. 
  • Options
    I think it depends on what type of wedding you want and if you want have a lot of OOT guest. If you are looking at having 100 people, 25+ OOT, and doing a wedding at 6pm, it would prob not turn out how you imagine. If you are looking for a more intimate affair mid day, it could be fine.
  • Options
    Depends on how many guests, whether a lot are from out of town, time of day, etc. I've seen a number of folks (members of the church) get married as part of the regular service at the Catholic Church I used to attend, and the Episcopal Church where I worship now. I've always thought it was a nice, low-key, down to earth way to get married.
  • Options
    I think I am going to be doing the same as it is way cheaper. More on the layed,back relaxed feeling.
  • Options
    We had a SUN wedding and loved it.  The biggest thing to consider for a Sunday wedding is the atmosphere.  SUN weddings tend to be more laid back and relaxed, whereas SAT weddings tend to be more of a party atmopshere, so keep that in mind when making your decisionVenues tend to be cheaper, and your vendors usually are too, because they are not as popular as SATs.  You can save money by serving a lighter lunch menu instead of a full dinner (if you want).  Guests also tend to drink less, since it's not a SAT night party so you save on some alcohol costs as well.If you do SUN, your best bet is to go with an afternoon wedding.  Many guests will not want to stay out too late if they have to work the next day.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm having mine on a Sunday.  So far nothing has been cheaper (but I'm not using a typical wedding reception hall).  I wanted it to be Saturday, but the person in front of me got it (biitch). Most of our guest list is in town so it shouldn't be a problem.  Actually, my cousin got married on a Monday and had 150 show up.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • Options
    We are having a sunday wedding, ending at 9 pm. Almost no one is out of town though.It really make sense financially wise. Where I am most place were a a 8-16 thousand min for saturdays. The reception hall we chose was 8 grand min for sat and for sunday we are paying 4500 for a great package, only available on sunday. Our dj is 300 cheaper for sunday too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Most OOT guests will have to take a day off anyway, even if the wedding is on a SAT.  It's just a matter of whether they take of FRI or MON.
  • Options
    Well I may be biased, since I am having a Sunday wedding, but I don't see how it is a bad idea?  The main reason we are doing a Sunday wedding is because we are both Jewish and cannot do the wedding on Friday night or until very late on Saturday.  Here are some of the benefits I see: You have a whole weekend with family to celebrate.  OOT guests can come in on Saturday, so they still only lose one work-day.  Many vendors will give discounts for a Sunday wedding, and they will have more availability because it is not on a Saturday.  Other than these things, I don't see how a Sunday wedding is dramatically different than a Saturday wedding.
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with having a Sunday wedding all though in my area there really aren't very many budget perks for doing so.  Things pretty much cost what they cost. They are a little more difficult to swing for some people because they may require a day off from work if the wedding is OOT but the Sunday weddings I've been to have been great!
  • Options
    I think it depends on the type of guests you're inviting & how close they are to where the event will be held. We have a crazy families who loves to party/drink. for them (or us) to get up the next day would be murder.. but again.. depends on your crowd.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a Sunday wedding last weekend. It was nice because most people had the Labor Day Monday off. Our ceremony was at 3:00, long after the church services. The majority of the oot guest came. Many made a long weekend out of it. Do it!
  • Options
    SarahSmile23 had a Sunday wedding. I think it went pretty well. Ours was perfect, but it depends on what kind of wedding you want. If you want an exciting party with tons of drinking and dancing, stick with Saturday. If you want a more laid-back event, Sunday could be perfect for you. We had a smaller wedding (75 guests) and had what we call an elegant but relaxed party. We had a flowing reception with tables inside and outside, and people spent a lot of time walking through the gardens and down by the lake. There was not much dancing. We also had a 2.5 hour reception, because a 4 hr reception with no dancing is way too long. We provided beer, wine, and champagne, and people drank as much as they wanted. But with it being on a Sunday, they did not drink as much as they would have on a Saturday. We knew this would happen and opted for a consumption bar instead of an open bar and saved about $700.Something else to consider is how many of your guests are OOT. I spoke with my OOT guests about the date, and they all indicated that they would take off work on Fri for a Sat wedding or Mon for a Sun wedding. They had no preference. We were also considerate with the timing of the wedding and had it end at 8 so that local guests would not have to take off work and so that OOT guests could go to bed if they had an early flight. We had an after party at the hotel bar for anybody who wished to have drinks and continue the party with us. We did save quite a bit of money by having it on a Sunday, and we had no problem finding vendors, as they are generally not booked up as quickly for Sunday weddings as they are for Saturday ones. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    I would like to add that we did get a TON of perks and deals too. 10% off the cake, 1/2 the ballroom rate at the reception site (plus they threw in a free barrel of beer), $300 discount from the photographer, a limo discount... I think there were a few more, but that's all I can remember now. When you talk to vendors, be sure to inquire about a Sunday discount.
  • Options
    Sarahsmile, I love your siggy! Ok, I'm done being a PW :)
  • Options
    I'm getting married on a Sunday. It's on a holiday weekend so folks will have a day on either side to travel, and none of the WP will need to be in town until Saturday night. I really liked having my choice of venues and most vendors. I can't say I got any discounts, however.Since we're getting married in the South, there have been some hangups. My favorite photographer doesn't work on Sundays, and I've had trouble finding salons that are open. The ones that are open don't until noon.
  • Options
    I disagree about the taking off work for a Saturday wedding. I'm having a destination wedding (for my guests) and none are taking off any work at all. My friends are mostly ibankers and consultants who don't take vacation so having a wedding they could attend without taking off work was very important to me. That being said, only you know your crowd. If the majority are OOT and it's important to you that they attend then I'd make sure they would still attend a sunday wedding. I'd only attend a sunday wedding for a best friend or sibling unless it was an in town wedding.
  • Options
    Sarahsmile, I love your siggy! Thanks. I actually put it on there because a trouble-maker on my local board was talking shiit about pics with the heads cropped off. I thought i'd show some support for headless pics.
  • Options
    If you have a Sunday wedding, and held it in the morning, you could have a brunch reception which will also save some costs - less alcohol, cheaper food, etc.  And for out of town guests, they could still attend your wedding/most of your reception before having to hit the road back home.
  • Options
    mine is on a sunday.the trick is to have it a little earlier so people can attend and if they need to, can still get up for work on monday. it would suck if people were coming from out of town though.  benefits so far:-half price dj-no guests are working that day-30% off venue & food (including bar)-no trouble finding vendors available on sundays-cheaper hotel ratessome people tell me it sucks for guests who work monday but i sent out save the dates 6 months ahead so those who want to, have already booked monday morning off.
  • Options
    I'm having a destination wedding (for my guests) and none are taking off any work at all. I don't understand how this is relevant.  In theory, if people could fly in on SAT for a SAT wedding, then they could fly in on SUN for a SUN wedding. 
  • Options
    I'm having a sunday morning wedding followed by brunch.  The worst part is getting up at 5:00am to get my hair done.  Ugh.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I'm having a Sunday wedding because we are having a Jewish wedding as well.  In my circle it is totally normal to have a Sunday wedding and just because it's Sunday people always still party like it's a Saturday.  Like pps said, if people are traveling they will usually need to take at least one day off of work, so what's the difference if it's Friday or Monday?  Also, a lot of our OOT friends are firefighters or work in hospitality and both of those fields do not revolve around a M-F 9-5 schedule so for them it's easy to coordinate days off.I've gotten some good discounts, but I'm mostly excited about our wedding being an entire weekend event.  A lot of people are coming Friday and we will be having dinners all weekend and then our wedding.  IMO it's a great way for those traveling (especially family), to get the most out of the trip since they'll get to spend so much time with us.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input, guys! =)
  • Options
    I'm having mine on a sunday and it saved me $14 on each guest for the reception hall, so instead of $24.50 a person i'm only paying $10.50 for meal and everything. awesome huh? some photographers even have deals for sunday. i suggest talking to your vendors. whether saturday or sunday, just remember to have fun, the day of the week isnt what is important, its the commitment and the love you are sharing with your future husband and your guests.
  • Options
    I think a Sunday wedding is a fine idea.  My sil had hers on a Sunday evening, and most of the guest list showed and had a great time.  We ae having ours on a Friday night next July.  I plan on sending save-the-dates, so if people want to take off work early, they can give plenty of notice.  I suggest sending save-the-dates if you can, so people are prepared in advance in case they would like to take off work the next day.
  • Options
    I had mine on a Sunday evening and had no problem with people from out of town coming.  I had people come from CA and MA and other OOT places.  My ceremony was in the evening and we partied until 11pm and no one had any problem drinking, dancing, and having fun. You do not need to do your wedding in the afternoon or morning and Sunday weddings are not necessarily more relaxed, it all depends on how you do your wedding and the people you invite.  For me, it was much better to do a Sunday wedding, because I could have the venue any time I want, because they only do 1 wedding on Sunday, but they do 2 on Saturday and I didn't want an afternoon or late evening wedding.  It was also cheaper.  The only con was doing the rehearsal Saturday morning before the 1st wedding, but we did a brunch afterwards, which was cheaper as well.  People who want to be there, will be there no matter when you have your wedding and everyone will have fun!
  • Options
    I'm planning my wedding for a Sunday, but its Labor Day weekend so almost everyone will have Monday off. So we are still doing a full dinner and dancing and drinking reception
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards