Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Baptism Gift?

I'm going to be Liam's Godmother, woohoo! Have any of you seen super cute ideas for Baptism gifts for such an occasion?I'll be giving the little guy a contribution to his college fund, but other than that, what's something cute I could get him that's well...churchy, but not lame and weird.I already personalized him a blanket with his birthday and lame on it for his Birthday present, otherwise I'd do that with his baptism date on it. Ideas?
Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution

Re: Baptism Gift?

• Options
    In my family, the godmother gives a silver baby cup and spoon. 
  • Options
    The have little baptismal bibles... other than that, might I suggest checking out cbd.com? You can just type 'baptism' in the search and it will have different things for you to look at...
  • Options
    Huggy Jesus.  Clearly.  [url]<a href="http://tinyurl.com/krner8" rel='nofollow'>http://tinyurl.com/krner8</a>[/img]
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Fail.  [url]<a href="http://tinyurl.com/krner8" rel='nofollow'>http://tinyurl.com/krner8</a>[/url]
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I give my nephew a book and (now) a toy every time I give him a gift. That way he gets to enjoy his present, plus his auntie is creating his library. When Andy was a baby, I gave him special books, and I wrote inscriptions on the inside cover. Ones mom and dad could read to him at night for bedtime stories, then when he got a little older, board book versions, etc. I'm making a crocheted blanket and bonnet (separate patterns) for my niece's arrival in January. I would like for that to be for her christening, but don't know they'll use that. The christening/Baptism will be delayed until the adoption is final, but still... A handkerchief bonnet is an idea..... if you're sentimental. His future bride could carry in on their wedding day.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    OOT, that's a really cute tradition! Also, I'm in love with huggy jesus. Maybe I'll get him bobble head jesus to save to put on the dashboard on his first car. We are so onto something.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I have two ideas for you.  One is kinda lame and the other is long term. My godmother gave me a bible at birth that she had read through and written notes in. The notes would be like "This passage reminds me that being your godmother is tough but I'll always be here for you."  The long term gift: My godmother saved old t-shirts of mine from school, church and sport activities.  When I graduated from H.S., she gave them all to me in their new form.  The logos had all been used to make a quilt of my life.
  • Options
    My godmother gave me a little Bible with my name and dedication date on it. I'm supposed to carry it in my bouquet, but it won't make it in there.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I've always heard of giving bibles. Maybe personalized with his name and date of baptism. I think the idea of books to create a 'library' is awesome too. My friends godmother consistantly sends her religious literature as she's gotten older. As her godmother - she said that makes her "responsible" for her religious education. Seems odd to me... but that's what she said. I don't have a godmother - so I don't know.
  • Options
    A time capsule, to be burried in his backyard or yours, with a letter and map that he can open someday.You could also name a star after him. http://www.starregistry.com/I'm Catholic, and I got a rosary bracelet for my baptism. It has been blessed at all the sacraments I've received so far, and I plan to wear it on my wedding day (even though it's not a Catholic wedding). Something that he could take with him throughout his upbringing in the church would be kind of cool.
  • Options
    The bible is a good idea. That's what I got my niece when she was baptized with a swarovski bracelet. What is this handkerchief you speak of?Anna, that was a really sweet gift!

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Vogt, that's a good idea. Does it matter that I'm not Catholic? He's being baptized in the catholic/lutheran church in town. My brother's wife's family is Catholic.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Piggy banks are popular too.  You could get it engraved and silver plated so it would last a lifetime.
  • Options
    I love the piggy banks! my mom's boyfriend got Liam one for his birthday!

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    M got a silver ducky bank with a pink scarf for a baptism gift. I am quite sure they come with a blue scarf as well.
  • Options
    At the baptism you (or someone else since you will be busy) can videotape messages for Liam for when he's older and compile them onto a DVD.
  • Options
    Fish... here's one link that will give you an idea. You can also google handkerchief christening bonnet and get other samples and places to order it. [url]<a href="http://tinyurl.com/mfnl42" rel='nofollow'>http://tinyurl.com/mfnl42</a>[/url]
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    M had 4 godparents. My BFF & her husband, Congrationalist & Jewish were there when she was christened in the hospital.  Catholics do this with babies in danger of dying.  I believe these were her actual godparents as they were there at the time of the actual christening.My brother & sister were her Catholic godparents when we had the "formal" christening 6 months later.I think one of the god parents must be Catholic or perhaps the rules have changed
  • Options
    That's maybe true. It's me and her brother, who is Catholic.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Robert and I just gave his nephew a crucifix.
  • Options
    Sorry, I forgot to check back.In the baptism, one of the godparents has to be Catholic. But for you to gift him a rosary, no, you don't have to be Catholic. Liam's parents could say something to the priest/pastor about the rosary and ask him to bless it. It could be part of the ceremony, or a prayer he says for Liam without others hearing (that's how mine have always been...a quiet prayer between me and the priest, once I was old enough).I think only Catholics use rosaries, though I'm not 100% sure on that, so it wouldn't have much meaning if they're not planning on raising him to be Catholic. But you could do something with the same sentiment that isn't denominational (like a cross or Bible).
  • Options
    You can probably go to any book store and find a picture bible or other cardboard book with bible stories in it. My dd's godmother bought her the Little People Noah's Ark, Little People manger set, a savings bond, and a cardboard book with bible stories that had different textures on each page for her to touch.
  • Options
    When OOT mentioned the silver duk bank, I had a flashback.  I got a silver duck bank, at some point in my life, no idea where it came from.  Odd, the stuff yoou remember at random times.In my family, the Godmother gives the child's first cross and another keepsake, similar to a silver cup, spoon, bank, rattle, etc.  Usually something from Tiffany.You COULD get him his first margarita glass.......
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards