Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

tipping question- sorry

I'm sorry, I know a lot of you hate these tipping questions but I really don't know who else to ask.Our potential caterer's don't have a gratuity policy, it is up to our discretion. We will possibly have 5 servers, and we pay each a flat rate. The caterers provide the servers and set the rate.So do I tip based on the food, or their rate?For example, say each server is $200 for the night and the food is $5000. Do I tip each server $40 (20% of their wages for the night) or $200 (20% of food total divided by 5) or $240 ( 20% total of food and wages divided by 5).It's almost a thousand dollar difference between the wages and the food, so it will affect my entire budget.Thanks.

Re: tipping question- sorry

• Options
    You pay what is within your budget for their services that exceeded your expectations. What you have sounds good, but you can lower if it fits in your budget better.
  • Options
    I think $200 each (20% of the food divided by 5).  I actually don't really know, but that's the way you would do it in a restaurant.  Although you don't have to give a full 20%.  You could do 15-18% and be okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards