Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

appalling.

2»

Re: appalling.

• Options
    He adds Long Plain is preparing for a flu outbreak by holding educational sessions with community members and establishing information kits for distribution. The problem with this is attendance. When we lived near Portage, our property bordered that particular reserve...I wouldn't be surprised to hear that no one showed up.Education is very important, in all communities, large, small, aboriginal or not...but we all know that attending information sessions like this is voluntary...
  • Options
    I heard this on the radion the other day and it didn't sit right with me, either. Preventative measure should have been sent rather than "clean-up" items.  I'm sure it was a huge slap in the face for the reserve.
  • Options
    Yeah, nugget, I was just thinking the same thing. That's some crazy shiit right there. Although I've got to admit, despite having a good bit (1/8?) of navajo blood I am totally ignorant about native american issues. Living in the NE US my whole life you just don't run across these issues very much.
  • Options
    Wait, they have reservations in Canada where people aren't allowed to have mouthwash? Yes, most dry reserves don't bring in those sorts of products, as they get used as alcohol. There are a lot of smaller stores in Manitoban communities that leave those items behind the counter at a pharmacy/grocery store because of problems with people standing in the aisle and chugging a bottle of mouthwash. It's sad, but it's true. The sad thing with those fly-in reserves, is that everything (duh) has to be flown in. 4 litres of milk can cost up to $20. Coke - $1.
  • Options
    I wish I could find earlier articles to link to, but the government's new stance that the body bags were just part of a regular shipment is complete back pedalling out of the spotlight.  That is not what was being said when this all first came out.  The original stance was that H1N1 will spread so quickly through the reserves that the supply that they have on hand in the reserve medical centres won't nearly be enough. 
  • Options
    Re: mouthwash and that stuff. There have always been issues with substance abuse issues on the reserves. My brother was working on a reserve in Northern Ontario (up in the straight part that borders Manitoba) a few summers ago rebuilding a school the native's had burnt down. He said they fermented ketchup to get hooch. It's pretty insane. The more I'm reading on the issue at hand, the more it looks like a routine yearly restocking shipment (that pretty much always includes body bags) being taken by some as something it's not.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    this is the first I had heard of it re: body bags. I haven't watched the local news (and by local, I mean Winnipeg - even though that's not my "local" area) in a few days.
  • Options
    I had no idea that there were dry reservations in Canada.  That's insane.  Is it a reservation policy or a policy of the Canadian government?
  • Options
    And I just vomited all over the idea of fermented ketchup.  We have a lot of reservations here in MN, but this post is making me feel like an ignorant dumbass about the happenings of Canada.
  • Options
    I had a "Race Relations" class in college.  We watched a video, and I think the point of it was to try to dispel the stereotypes of American Indians being alcoholics and such on the reserves.  But it showed a bunch of people huffing glue and drinking Lysol.  It confused the heck out of me because I thought it was trying to dispel the stereotypes but then it showed that for a good chunk of the video.  It was really sad.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    [i]Would you know if they sent them to your community? I'm not on a first name basis with my medical examiner, so unless he made a big deal about it, I would never know...[/i] This. That was one of the things H and I brought up last night. They probably didn't need to send them to major city centres because, well, we're already all stocked up.
  • Options
    They probably didn't need to send them to major city centres because, well, we're already all stocked up.  This is what has the reserve members upset, because they are stocked up as well.  The government just sent them more bags because they expect the numbers of fatalities to be so high.  And if they were sending bags out to all communities, the government would have jumped on that fact as one of the first things they retorted with.  Instead they made it clear in the early reports that extra bags were being sent to the reserves alone.
  • Options
    Has there ever been a study done on why Native Americans seem to have such a huge problem with alcohol abuse problems?  Is it a genetic thing?

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    i didn't think of that - how would we know? Raynes - which reserve? I live in Dryden, so not too too far from MB/Ont border.
  • Options
    Nugget-in response to your question-I took a Native American class in college and my prof (who is Native American) believed alcoholism to be a genetic thing.  And I think at this point we can argue that addiction can run in families as well.
  • Options
    Nugget, I think that it's more of a poverty issue than anything.  I haven't heard anything about it being linked to genetics.
  • Options
    3plus, I agree that poverty is a contributing factor.  I don't think the problem can be linked to just one cause.  I also think it's a social thing.  If you live in a community where it's prevalent you might just get involved too.
  • Options
    Genetics is (are?) absolutely a factor in addiction.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    such a huge problem with alcohol abuse problems? Is it a genetic thing? DH and I had this conversation last night, actually.  It is a genetic thing.  (as I understood it)  Europeans (and other cultures) have been distilling alcohol for 1000s of years, so they have a tolerance for it (not only physically, but also in terms of brain chemistry).  Alcohol was only introduced to the native americans a couple hundred years ago - they had never developed the same tolerance as other cultures, and their brain reacts much more strongly to alcohol.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    P2, up in Red Lake. It may not have been an official reservation, I forget. I just remember that he had to rebuild a school for the natives 'cause they burned the last one down. To get there he had to fly Toronto to Winnipeg, then back into Ontario and up to Red Lake on some tiny plane.
  • Options
    Nugget, this is actually a kind of interesting discussion of alcohol addiction and native americans:http://www.peele.net/faq/indians.html
  • Options
    3plus2, I wasn't aware that these were extras. Although I thought I read that it was an area harder hit last year, so perhaps more are justified...
  • Options
    I know where that is. Fires are a huge problem amongst reserves. On a different note - I went to university with a Native woman...and where I'm from, Natives at A LOT of KFC. She would joke about it often, but one day told us that one of the "13 original spices" is a traditional Native American spice used in a lot of cooking, and was also used in healing...We thought it was cute that she told us that.
  • Options
    I stand corrected on the genetics issue the, I admit I have very little knowledge of addictions.  I was just going by what I've seen discussed in articles and heard from reserve spokespeople (spokespersons?). Vicmo, I also agree with you that the society they are raised in plays a huge factor. 
  • Options
    That was an interesting article, ac.  Although I don't really agree.  Native Americans hadn't been exposed to alcohol for thousands of years, whereas Asians have been making alcohol for thousands of years.  I thought that was a huge hole in the theory.
  • Options
    Oddly enough, some people are immune or show levels of immunity to this strain of H1N1.  It's why it's hitting the younger population harder than seniors.  People who survived the flu outbreak in the early 1900s have an immunity to this H1N1 because they're apparently similar.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I've heard that too, Moose.
  • Options
    "It's probably something genetic, right? I mean, native americans didn't co-evolve with pigs the same way that europeans and asians did, and so probably haven't developed the same kind of resistance to swine-related infections, genetically speaking. I don't know the history of pigs in africa, but either way many african americans have a good bit of european ancestry, plus all of the continents on the eastern hemisphere except australia have a much longer history of genetic mixing, trade, etc."ac in dc - I live in Manitoba and reservations have a notorious reputation of being extremely filthy, they just don't take care of themselves their land or their property. Definatly not a genetics thing. People get certain deseases/ sicknesses etc. from living in unsanitary conditions.
    "does this sweater make me look fat?" "no, the fact that your fat makes you look fat. That sweater just makes you look purple".
  • Options
    I've also read somewhere that natives' brain and or blood chemistry interact badly with alcohol increasing the addictive properties of the alcohol.I do not have a source for this because it's been quite some time since I read it and it wasn't on the internet so it could be complete hooey. 

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards