Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Poll: Parents and planning?

So I sent out a friendly e-mail message to my bridal party and parents updating them on wedding related things. Included in this message was information about where FI and I are registered. This information was in the message so they could pass it along when they get questions from guests and that was specified in the e-mail. Well my dad in an effort to be 'helpful' forwarded this message on to my aunts and step-sisters. I gave him a quick call letting him know registry information should only be provided upon request (I was gentle with him and not angry because I know he was trying to help). Luckily my family is his family too and understands he is pretty clueless about this type of thing. It just got me thinking, has anyone else had parents do embarrassing things related to wedding planning?

Re: Poll: Parents and planning?

• Options
    My parents are divorced. My dad is engaged to a wonderful woman, GG. When we were taking pictures outside of the church, my grandma (mom's mom) kept asking if the photographer's were GG's daughters and then (loudly) inquired as to why they were "running the show." The photographer yelled, "Dad! We need Dad for a picture!" and my grandma yelled, "DAD! HE'S NOT YOUR DAD!" I was mortified.
  • Options
    My parents volunteered an invitation to one of their old (as in 10ish years ago) friend's mother. My dad and the friend stay in touch every so often, and we were planning on inviting the friend, but my dad extended the invite to mom (and I believe relatives) at a big family party. We don't have space for them, but I can't exactly "univite"...
  • Options
    *photographers*
  • Options
    I've blocked a lot of them from memory.I just found out that MIL did in fact photocopy our invitation to send to some people. Our invitations were scrolls. I can only imagine how they looked.She also verbally invited many people and did not include them on the guest list. H found out when he ran into those people. They asked him when he intended to send out the invites his mother promised. She insulted my mother's guests. To their face. Trying to give them compliments.
  • Options
    I left my extra invitations in my room at my parents' house (I still live there). Apparently my dad thought of a few more people to invite, so he went and folded up some invites on Friday and mailed 8 more invitations out. Not only did I not find out until today, but he didn't send them RSVP cards so we won't even know if any of the random people are invited. Our wedding is in 32 days. Thanks Dad.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't know if the people are coming, not invited. And my mom said that he didn't know some of their wives' names so he wrote Mark and Wife. Did I mention that I don't know any of the people he invited? My mom said not to worry about it because they will probably just send a card. Great.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    No, not yet. ALthough I'm sure something will happen considering they hate eachother's guts.  Having them at the same function will be... interesting to say the least.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    wow... I think I would totally flip if my dad sent out random invites like that. I though a verbal invite to a mass family was bad, but "Mark and Wife" hanwritten takes the cake!
  • Options
    Father in law told multiple people they could bring a guest, defying a group email sent out to all parents that explicitly explained the guest policy and what to do if questions arose. Father in law also explained, in front of FIs half sister, how only one room would be needed since of course his second ex wife (half sister's mother) would have no objections to having a one night stand with him. This was at a family event where several of his young grandchildren were present. Sister in law sent an email telling us she was "not interested" in staying at the hotel where we'd blocked rooms and demanded a list of "more chic" recommendations. This wedding is not taking place in New York, Chicago, or Miami. There are 4 hotels in town, only 2 of which are not motels. That's just a sampling. Is October 24th here yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards