Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

b/c question

this may be TMI...?yesterday I decided to count the days on my birth control so i'd know when i'd start around the wedding..well i guess i should've thought of that sooner because Thursday is exactly a month out and my birth control shows i will start the day before my wedding. i've been trying to think of how i can change it but i've never really did this before.. so what i'm getting at is.. do you think if when i was suppose to take the sugar pills for the wk of my period i could just start on the next month to change when i will start next month?... if that makes any sense. any opinions would be great, tia.

Re: b/c question

• Options
    Yes, you can generally skip the sugar pills and start a new month right away to skip a period.  Beware you might have some spotting though, if you've never done this before you don't know how your body will react. 
  • Options
    You can, but its not always a surefire way youll skip your period. It works for most but for some you still get spotting.
  • Options
    That works! I'd try it before the wedding month though (if possible) because some people spot when they skip over their period. I've always had luck doing this though!
    BabyFruit Ticker < br > Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Do you know if its monophasic or triphasic?
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Just skip your period and continue your pills. I am on Yaz and do this alll the time. You shouldn't start your period, and if you do for some reason, it should be really light. Feel free to call your ob/gyn if you want a RN to back this up...but mine told me it is fine to skip a period as long as you make sure you don't do it contionously and never have one :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That works for some, for me it makes me bleed for the next whole pill pack.  Ask your gyno they'll be able to help you best.
  • Options
    LVB- no I dont.....thanks ladies, i was sure it'd be fine but i didn't know for sure. i'm definately going to do it this month though..
  • Options
    I've done it and I'm on triphasic pills. I didn't even get any spotting that week.  I did, however, have spotting for two straight weeks before my next period.  Soooo, you might want to keep that in mind if your honeymoon is going to be delayed at all. Again, everyone reacts differently. But certainly women do this all the time for this purpose. I'd give it a shot.
  • Options
    Do not take the other colored placebo pills start the next pack roght away with the normal pills. You may have some spottigng but light or none
  • Options
    Yes, that is a good idea if you want to control when your period is.  For protection against pregnancy, you can always take more pills of the active hormones, but don't decrease to taking less than 3 weeks of active hormones at a time, if that makes sense.  the second option will lose you your birth control effectiveness.Doctors allow people to take extra active pills to control their period onto an extended cycle, like Seasonale or Seasonique.  It works with your regular pills if you don't take the sugar pills too.However, since this is the first time you've tried this (I think?) your body may not be in tune with the extended cycle, so you may still start to get breakthrough bleeding on your usual period time.  It's a small chance that it would be right away, on your wedding weekend, though. GL!
  • Options
    Oh, and LVB was asking because it's easier to do this with monophasic pills rather than triphasic. Look your brand up online, and it should tell you which type you have.
  • Options
    If you are set to start the day before, are you sure you will have your period on the wedding day? I usually don't get mine until 3-4 days into the sugar pills.Either way, I had a similar situation, where I'd have to start the sugar pills the Sunday before our (Saturday) wedding, so I would for sure have my period. I spoke to my doctor, who said I could just take the sugar pills a week early and start a new pack that Sunday. It worked perfectly.Talk to your doctor before doing that though... want to be safe!
  • Options
    I'd also put a call in to your gyno just to run it by him/her.  The pharmacist won't be able to advise you that way.  
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    sweet.. mine are monophasic
  • Options
    Oh and I was on monophasic pills at the time, and should mention I was told to use backup protection for the early week of the sugar pils (was on my period anyways) and for the first 5 days of the next pack, which was fine and worked out to being back to normal just before the wedding.Again, talk to you doctor first because everyone's different and I don't want to cause any unwanted honeymoon babies.
  • Options
    If you are set to start the day before, are you sure you will have your period on the wedding day? I usually don't get mine until 3-4 days into the sugar pills.i usually don't either.. but that means i would start the first day of my honeymoon... so either way i want to change it.
  • Options
    ahh makes sense, I wouldn't either. We didn't have a honeymoon so I didn't think that far ahead.
  • Options
    Check with your doc, but you could start the sugar pills one week early to start your period sooner.
  • Options
    It's more effective with a monophasic because of the dosage of hormones. With mono, you have one set level or hormones and then nothing when you take the sugar pills and you have your period (actually not your 'period', its just withdraw bleeding). With triphasic, each week is a different level or hormones, slowly tapering off to nothing and then starting back up with the strong one. So with the mono, you're not decreasing anything, just continuing on like normal. You could still have breakthrough bleeding, but its less likely than if you were on tri.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Wow! That's good info. Thanks ladies... and just so you know, I don't have insurance so I don't currently have a doctor. I'm gonna act as if all of you together are a doctor though, lol. But if any unwanted honeymoon babies occur, that's my problem, haha. I'll keep my fingers crossed though.
  • Options
    skip your period. Skip the sugar pills and start a nw pack of b/c right away. You won't get your period, and it doesn't harm your health to do it every once in a while.
  • Options
    Yes, generally you can skip the sugar pills and just start on the next pack.  I've done this several times (my doctor said it was ok), including for my wedding.  It's always worked for me, but I've heard that some women can still have some spotting.
  • Options
    thanks everyone! you can never have too many opinions on something like this!
  • Options
    Actually, I've been sitting back and getting my own advice too. I do "calender math" pretty much every time something like a vacation or FI's birthday is coming up, just to be sure. But I've never done anything to actually move my cycle. Right now, I'm set to start smack-dab in the middle of my honeymoon (Which, even if I'm not going anywhere, FI and I both have vacation that week, so I'm pretty sure he's going to want lots of "sexy time"), I have like 3 months til the wedding, so I'm guessing my next pack I should try skipping the placebos as well.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Talk to your gyno. I scheduled my wedding on the day when I'll have my period, and asked her what to do. I'll do 2 packs in a row, get my period, then another 2 packs, get my period, then take them normally. This way it will prevent any spotting. By do this, I'll push my period back two weeks, so there's no chance of me having it on the day of the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards