Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Moving In Together Around Wedding Date

Ladies,My FH and I live in separate houses, and that's generally the way that we want to keep it until around the time that we get married. (I've got a few more months before I have to look at his stinky socks full-time - lol).  Ok, how did you plan the logistics of moving in together?For those who didn't really live with FH before the wedding, did you do the move after the wedding or right before?  We are going ona  honeymoon for about 3 weeks so we won't be around for awhile after the honeymoon and then we'd have the "down" time of having to move in with each other after the wedding, if we wait until after.  But I'm thinking that if we do it before, it will be too hectic for it to really be feasible (w/out driving us crazy).What did you do? What do you plan to do?

Re: Moving In Together Around Wedding Date

• Options
    We're both in separate apartments now.  I'm thinking that I'll move into our married apartment a month or two before the wedding to get settled, and he'll move in after.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We are moving out of state, so its a little different, but we're getting a new apartment and just moving in after the honeymoon. We have a few days between the wedding and the honeymoon, so we'll finalize packing then. We'll have a week to get out of our separate places and down to our new place together.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    We live together already, but friends of ours waited until after the wedding.  She moved into the apt a few months before the wedding, to get settled in.  Her husband moved in during the next week; though he was moving from his parents' house so he didn't have much to move.You could always move yourself in, and most of his stuff except for his daily needs type stuff (like the decor and stored stuff), before the wedding.  Get that all settled in.  Then move him and his daily stuff in after the honeymoon.  That may reduce the moving down time, because there won't be much by then.
  • Options
    We are still trying to sell my house, and will move into our house as soon as possible.  We did not want to live together before the wedding - just personal preference because of our kids.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm getting married in a little less than a month, and I'm almost fully moved in.I'm a real stickler on a routine, so I wanted to move in about a month before.  Also, so I can get a head start on changing my address and whatnot.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We lived together way before the wedding.  But like a pp said, we had some friends who bought a house together and she moved in a little before the wedding, and he moved in after the honeymoon.  That way the house was pretty much set up already and they weren't both trying to move at the same time.
  • Options
    It just happened to work out that way.Both their leases were up in June and the wedding was in September.  They bought a condo and moved in three months before the wedding and were pretty much settled before the wedding crazies started.
  • Options
    We moved in together 2.5 months before the wedding. His research contract ended and my lease was up, so that's when we got our condo. I thought our timing was good because we had time to settle in and enjoy living together before all the last minute details of the wedding started taking over our lives. But it was still close enough to the wedding that moving in together still felt related to us getting married and starting our lives together, like it was all part of the same big life event if that makes any sense. It's definitely not something I would have wanted to do after the wedding - it was so nice to come home from our honeymoon and have it really be "our" place alraedy. It's really all a personal choice. No way is right or wrong here - do what YOU think is best.
  • Options
    I moved into our house (that we bought 4 months before the wedding), about 6 weeks before the wedding. FI will start moving his stuff in here the week before the wedding, and whatever we don't get around to doing we'll bring over after the honeymoon.I think this way has worked out pretty well, because I had A LOT more stuff then him. All he has is a few boxes, and a lot of his clothes, etc, are already over here.
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    We signed the least July 1 and he spent the next month kind of moving in, painting etc... then we moved all my stuff in (I had all the furniture too, so he was mainly staying with me in my old apt) a month before the wedding. We spent the next month unpacking and planning the wedding... it sucked! If you can wait until after the wedding and honeymoon, I'd do that. Save yourself the headache!
  • Options
    Although FI has had his own place for awhile, I've waited to move in.  Until about two weeks ago, his apartment just wasn't big enough for both of us.  Now that he's moved into a larger place, I can move in whenever.  I don't want to wait until after the wedding, but I probably won't be able to move in until right before.  We didn't really expect to get the new place until next month, so I hadn't really packed everything yet, and now we have all kinds of appointments the next couple weekends.  I'll probably end up moving in the weekend before.
  • Options
    I moved nothing in to FI's condo before the wedding. When we got back from the HM, I had only my suitcase from the HM so the next day, I put on clothes from the suitcase and headed over to get some of my stuff. Then I only moved in about 1/3 of my stuff, because in less than a year, we were going to move together to another city. When we got there, I moved the rest of my stuff in.
  • Options
    We got married in August. We were supposed to move in together in June but it didn't work out. [We live in his late grandmother's house, and it took his mom and aunt much longer than expected to go through all her things.] My first night in this house was the night before the wedding, and our first night together was the night after.I wish we could have moved in here in June, because it was so hectic after the wedding trying to get all our stuff here.
  • Options
    We moved in together about a month before the wedding and it really sucked. I was already stressed and nervous about the wedding and wish we would've waited until after. Moving just made things worse.
  • Options
    We were in a LDR and I moved to his city after the HM. We flew back to my city, packed my townhome, and took all my stuff south. If you're not currently living together, I think it's nice to wait until after the wedding. You should start moving your belongings in advance, however.
  • Options
    I have a friend who went from an LDR to being married and living together and said the stress of all that change was pretty hard. But then, it was an LDR.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards