Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Dog food?

I know this was brought up a while ago, but I don't think it's here anymore.  What are some good brands?  We've got Nature's Recipe now and I'm not a fan.  Any opinions on other brands?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dog food?

• Options
    My chihuahua is a little chubby, so the vet recommended Science Diet Light.  She's been on it for one bag now, and I think she's already losing some weight.  I saw on the bag that compared to what we had been eating, it had more fiber and protein and less fat.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    "what we had been eating" = yes, me and my dog both eat dog food, LOL.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hmm yeah, our vet said Science Diet was "high quality".  That's what she was on at the shelter, but I thought grains weren't good for dogs, so we switched to something with no grains/fillers. 
  • Options
    My husky pup is on California's Natural. My pom is on Nature's Variety, or Nature's Balance. I can't remember. :)
    GP IF buddies with nursecheryl Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Paisley eats Blue Buffalo. It was recommended by both her vet and her trainer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    Chloe is on Innova -- it's very pricey, but she has been in perfect health and loves the food. We've been gradually transitioning her to Origen grain free -- per her vet, she has a bad grain allergy and this is really helping.
  • Options
    My dogs eat Fromm's.
  • Options
    The rescue organization where we got our retired greyhound recommends Nutro lamb and rice formula. When we adopted her, we switched the 12 year-old mutt with the constant skin allergies and hot-spots to it, too, because buying 2 different brands of dog food made NO sense. Within a month, his skin had cleared up completely. So, it made a believer out of me. Now if only it didn't cost $50 for a 30 lb. bag of it...
  • Options
    We use Eukanuba for the cats. I think it's pretty good. They aren't really picky and it seems fairly high quality.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My dog eats Beneful. it's the only thing she will eat, and she wont eat any treats from the store, i make then. shes snotty like that.
  • Options
    There's a ranking system for dog foods, and Science Diet actually gets a pretty low grade.  Sucky since it's so expensive.Ditto on the no grain thing.  I have a bengal and she can't have grain, so I got her on Merrick Before Grain.  She liked it so I thought it would be good for the dogs, too.  They are eating Merrick Wilderness Blends.   I'll try to find that food ranking system and post the link . . .
  • Options
    Pretty much anything you buy in a chain store is crap...look at the ingredients..first ingredient should be meat not corn...also if it says anything about Chicken or Meat By Product DO NOT buy it!! By product can legally include ground up bones, beaks, feet, euthanized animals, roadkill..etc...very gross and scary stuff...google some things and you will find a lot of disturbing stuff...holistic food is more costly but your dog only gets to eat one kind of food for the rest of their lives...why not make it the best?? Just some food for thought..lol sorry for the pun!
  • Options
    Actually, my Pom that is on the Nature's food is VERY picky. He won't even eat Beneful. But he tears up the Natures. He's the same with the treats. We've seen an improvement in his coat and he eats more with the Natures.
  • Options
    Heels, that is perfect!  Thank you much :) Thank you all for recs, I'm looking them all up as you give them :)
  • Options
    Your welcome!  I had no idea until one time it was being discussed on here.  I was feeding my dogs Purina ONE.  Oops.  (P.S.  Benefuls is awful, please don't feed that to your dogs)
  • Options
    *you're welcome, not your
  • Options
    Chicken soup for the puppy lover's soul?  I can't believe that's real!
  • Options
    Also, did you mention what size/age your dog was?
  • Options
    Nope, I didn't. She's about 10 mos-1 yr and 50 lbs. 
  • Options
    So you need an adult large breed dog food then, not puppy
  • Options
    When do they outgrow the puppy formula?  We've got her on puppy large breed now. 
  • Options
    My vet told us to start transitioning around the six month mark and by eight months they should be on adult food fully. If you research it (I'm OCD and did) there are a lot of different timelines. Some will say earlier. But definitely by eight months on adult. The site PP listed is great for food and ratings. Also, the PETS board on the nest has a lot of additional sites and recommendations. I am on there a lot.
  • Options
    Good to know, I'm looking at the food analysis site now.  It seems to be really helpful but I might post on the nest too just for an extra set of opinions.  TY :)
  • Options
    we have tried everything, stuff from the vet stuff the vet told us to use and i even tried making her food. (since i made her treats and he eats them) but nothing. i asked the vet and he pretty much said eating beneful is better than not eating.
  • Options
    Katie is eating Natural Choice (Nutro) and loves it. Nutro is very good (Natural Choice and Ultra are better quality than Nutro-Max). Other very good choices include Eukanuba, Avoderm, California Natural, Blue Buffalo, and Bil Jac. By products are not necessarily bad, but since you have no way of knowing if the by products are the bad kind or not, it's just better to avoid them.
  • Options
    Well, I guess I've been a bad dog mom for 14 years.... Maggie has eaten Iams Weight Control with the approval of her vet for multiple years (like 7-8) - I couldn't afford her medication and Science Diet weight control formulas for her to lose weight. Now that we just need her to maintain where she is and I just need her to have calories, her dry food is Purina One but she occasionally gets Pedigree canned or people chicken mixed with rice if she's not eating. And I'm not going to switch with less than 6 months most likely in her life span.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Go to dogfoodanalysis.com Don't listen to your vet about what food is good if they sell food (duh)
    No amount of education could convince Betty to be nice to possums
  • Options
    The cat gets Friskies, she's still kicking though.Foods like Iams and Purina are still acceptable food, they just aren't great food. It's not like you are seriously harming your dogs by feeding them those, they just aren't getting as much benefit as otherwise.
  • Options
    I bought nothing from my vet. Not even the Science Diet. No way in hell I could have afforded some of the other stuff. There were months we couldn't afford our own medications, but she always got hers for her seizures, heartworm preventative, and eventually Cushings. Flame me if you want for buying what I did for my dog, but my dog has not suffered. She's lived 14 years. Maybe I didn't make the best and most expensive food choices for her, but I also didn't cause her most pressing health problem.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards