Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

150 guest buffet dinner, no staff

On the Budget Weddings board, someone has suggested that she buy just the food for the buffet and let it sit there - with no staff and no servers and no refresh and no one to clean up spills.  W O W.

Re: 150 guest buffet dinner, no staff

• Options
    It's not optimal, but it certainly can be done. For some people it's the only choice when family's expect a big party, and the budget doesn't allow for the extras. Hardly a "WOW" situation.
  • Options
    That's kinda a disaster waiting to happen.I find it a tad funny that this was posted by Kristen789...

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    me too moose, me too...
  • Options
    My SIL's family did this for my brother's wedding.  There was 3 hour gap and the WP (which I was in) was told after the ceremony we we had to do all the setup for the reception. 12 years later I'm still pissed at them.  Mostly because either my parents, sister or myself would have been happy to pay for someone to take care of it.  They were just too 'proud' to ask for monetery help.  But obviously not for manual labor.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Mmm, botulism.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    I friggin LOVE that Kristin789 posted this.  It's like she's almost human.  If she starts telling jokes I'm going to fall over.And just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    It's not like she was asking guest to pitch in cash for her reception. Seriously Kristin, no need single out someone's thoughtful post.  Unless you thought we would be appalled. 
  • Options
    Disaster in making
  • Options
    Helllloooo food poisoning.
  • Options
    I kind of am appalled, actually.For 150 people, you're really looking for problems not having any staff at all for the buffet. 

• Options
    2 words--sneeze guard.
  • Options
    as a food service worker I am actually appalled. As a former bride I have no idea where I would even have found the time to care about the food setup. I barely got a pee break from talking to people, let alone ensuring the food was setup and ready.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I've done buffets for huge parties and wedding for friends before and although it's much nicer to have staff, it can be done if you are wise in your food choices and presentation.
  • Options
    but anna you were not a bride and the obligations that goes along with that. It's a crazy day for a bride and groom.  Having watch over the buffet is just not something you want to worry about when you have 150 people to talk to, pictures to take, etc. etc.

• Options
    Very true. It's not something I'd ever be crazy enough to do.  If they have the money, they should pay someone to help.  However, I guess I'm kinda assuming they don't have any extra money.  If that's the case you work with what you have.  I personally would have cut that guest list in order to pay someone.  I cut our guest list by 20 in order to accomodate payments for butlered stations.I'm just trying to be positive today instead of negative-nellie.  The tone of the OP came off to me as "O.M.G. these people are tacky and I think y'all should go to the budget board to yell at them"I also may be wrongly interpreting things due to lack of sleep, etc..
  • Options
    I think as long as everything was kept hot/cold, it'd be ok.  I'd mostly just be worried about messes- like, who is going to clean up if Aunt Suzie pours Ranch dressing all over the floor?Damn that Aunt Suzie!
  • Options
    Is it hot food? This is working for my picnic reception, but all the food is wrapped in wax paper or individual containers and suitable to put into a basket as you go down the buffet table. I have one person who will set it all up, and make sure it's kept neat and presentable, but it could easily sit out and not matter. What sort of food is she talking about?
  • Options
    This is for a hundred and fifty people though guys.  This isn't like self service at a dinner party for 12.  It requires work.  It isn't self-sustaining.  Things will have to be filled, cleaned out, stocked, monitored.  I have a feeling that most people who have never worked large scale food service before are seriously underestimating how much goes into it all.  Who is going to set it all up?  Tear it all down?  Transport it?  Gopher the new food to the empty food pans?  It requires workers, not just someone to go stir things every 15 minutes or so. 

• Options
    I think Bec makes a great point. But honestly a huge concern of mine would be running out of food.  Without staff there to control portions, you are asking for disaster.  I've been to weddings that ran out of food WITH servers.  I don't even want to think about how many people won't get food because someone decided to take 3 entrees instead of 1...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Bec also said she has someone to setup and watch over it.  This bride suggested it would be herself and the groom.

• Options
    What East said, times eleventy billion.  With no relevant experience in banquet service, the B&G are deluding themselves if they think this will work logistically. I semi-entertained the thoughts of completely self-catering (husband is a chef, I've done catering), and decided that we couldn't do it for our little guest list of 40.
  • Options
    I see a huge difference between Bec's plan and a traditional buffet (which is what I'm assuming we're talking about here)
  • Options
    I don't think that budget brides should be encouraged to have giant weddings at the detriment of the quality of wedding.  Sure, skip favors, have a brunch rather than a 7pm sit down dinner with butlered apps, but there's a point that you need to realize that good hosting should not be compromised in the name of budget.You can do things on a budget without making the kind of decision that bride was considering.  Rule number one is to limit your guest list.  We all know that and we're the first ones to tell people to sacrifice the guest list before anything else.Hosting an UNSTAFFED event for 150 people is asinine.  There will be spills.  Serving utensils WILL get dropped, or used in the wrong dish.  Your food quality will suffer by the time the last of those 150 people straggle through the buffet line.  Who is setting up the buffet and cleaning up afterwards?  What are you serving the food in, is it big enough to hold enough buffet food for 150 people?  Please note that for buffets, you should account for extra food - a LOT of food gets wasted on a buffet so you're probably looking at food for 175 people.  That's a lot of food sitting on a table or tables for a significant amount of time.  What happens when everyone's gone through the line?  Will the bride and groom go back and cover all the dishes to maintain the quality?  How long will the food be left out for people to go back for seconds?  Who ensures that the food safety guidelines are followed?  Who is liable if someone gets sick from the unmanned buffet?  There's a reason the ideal buffet is well staffed with food that is constantly being refreshed. It's funny.  When I considered cutting and serving my own wedding cake, I was strongly advised against it for many reasons.  That idea doesn't even come close to having as many issues as the bride and groom looking after a buffet line for 150 people.

• Options
    I had salmonella  poisoning once when I was 20.  That alone was enought to make me examine all foods, where they have been and how long they have been there.pissing poop out your butt really sucksAren't you happy I shared that?
  • Options
    pissing poop out your butt really sucksCan I steal this and use it as my work email signature?
  • Options
    There's no way in hell that on my wedding day I will have time to get to the reception venue and see that everything is okay, let alone set things up.I would ONLY consider doing this if:My wedding was less than 40 people.The food was all cold or room temp.And even then, I'd try to hire someone to look over it or help people. I would feel bad asking a guest or WP member to basically work as a server.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Well, in the thread on budget brides, there were a few people who probably weren't realistic in their responses and suggested it may not be a bad idea.And here on P&E where I've restricted my comments, Anna.Oskar has stated that it's possible and it took her several posts to admit it's not something she'd do herself.  She was also rather argumentative with Kristen at the start about why it got posted here.Because, you know, we never do that around these parts.

• Options
    Oh how I've missed the logic that is BeaverMoose.
  • Options
    Moose, logic has no place here.  You know this.

• Options
    I know.  But it's all fun and games trying to impose my will on all of you since my FI is no longer bending to my will, the dog and cats are avoiding me like I spent the entire week at home trying to suffocate them under the blankets with me because I was sick and needed to be cuddled and, well... no one else cares.So, y'all are stuck with me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards