Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Sunday Brunch?

Our guest list may have a few more guests then we originally intended for (about 20 I'm thinking). Is it okay if we serve a Sunday brunch instead of the lunch/dinner option that we originally planned on serving? Our wedding is on a Sunday with an 11:30 ceremony and 12:00 reception to follow in the room next door to the garden that we are getting married at. TIA!

Re: Sunday Brunch?

• Options
    I think it should be fine.  I have been to a few brunch receptions and loved them...
  • Options
    Sure I don't see why not. (Make sure you have mimosas!)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
  • Options
    Depends on how substantial of a brunch you're talking about.If it's the kind that actually contains lunch foods like sandwiches and carved meats, then yeah, that's fine.If it's just breakfast foods, I think you need more at noon.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    You could do that, but I'm not sure how that solves the problem of having more guests than you intended.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Sure, brunch is great.  I'm not sure how brunch is going to save you any money though compared to lunch. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think a Sunday Brunch would be fine.  Brunch hours are from 10-2.  That being said, I would include something like a Roast Beef carving station (common at restaurant brunches) just in case you have people who don't like breakfast food.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sounds fine to me, I love brunch.  And agreed on the mimosas, Salt! 
  • Options
    Go for it.  But fyi, coming from someone who had a brunch reception, it's not necessarily cheaper than having lunch/dinner.
  • Options
    betrothed, I think this is solving the more guests problem because brunch is generally cheaper. So she's trying to make her budget go further.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    I think it will be cheaper if she was planning to serve alcohol at lunch/dinner but won't at the brunch (or will just have mimosas or something).  I could see it being less expensive.
  • Options
    betrothed, I think this is solving the more guests problem because brunch is generally cheaper. So she's trying to make her budget go further. I get that, but like many of the other posters have said, it's not always cheaper, especially not if you plan on serving a substantial meal.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I really like the idea of having a brunch reception. To me though, lunch time is 12. I don't think about breakfast food at noon, but I'm sure it can be pulled off. I also second the notion to have some kind of meat option. Roast beef sounds delicious, but even something like chicken salad and some nice rolls would add more of a "lunch" type option for those that want it. Personally, I'm always up for a pastry, fruit, and coffee regardless of what time it is.
  • Options
    If she was planning on doing a plated lunch/dinner it might be less if she turns the brunch into a buffett.
  • Options
    Every brunch I've ever been to has had a mixture of lunch and breakfast food (hence the name brunch).  Am I the only one who has experienced this?  It would seem by a number of the replies that the brunches those poster have been to only had breakfast food.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Gotcha betrothed. I didn't realize. At my venue, the brunch is significantly cheaper, yet substanital as other posters are describing. Please pardon my ignorance.
  • Options
    The ones I've been to have been primarily breakfast food, with a roast beef and or turkey carving station and maybe a chicken ala king over biscuits type dish. 
  • Options
    The ones I've been to have been primarily breakfast food, with a roast beef and or turkey carving station and maybe a chicken ala king over biscuits type dish. This is the type of thing I was thinking of.  They are primarily breakfast foods, but there are certainly lunch foods as well.  Otherwise we'd just call it a late breakfast.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Most brunches I've been to have had both breakfast and lunch-type foods.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies ladies! Yes, at my particular venue even for a substantial brunch with meats and such it is about $10 a person cheaper because our venue doesn't really have a 'lunch' option, we would have been serving dinner at lunch time.
  • Options
    See, all of the brunches I've been to have really just been glorified breakfasts--almost all breakfast food but maybe with a deli meat tray so you can make bagel sandwiches or something.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Personally, I don't think 10 bucks a person is a big enough difference to do it for the money. If you want a brunch go for it! But, if it is about the money, unless you are having 350 people, 10 dollars a person in the scheme of weddings is not thaaaat much.
  • Options
    That sounds amazing... I love brunch :)
  • Options
    The main reason I want to do this is naturally for my budget. My mom is graciously paying for the reception and I am just thinking about my options to make it more affordable for her. She says she can afford whatever I want (within my given funds) but I know she can more comfortably afford a meal option that is a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    That is pretty awesome of you Ann. Brunch is the best. I want some NOW.
  • Options
    Personally, I don't think 10 bucks a person is a big enough difference to do it for the money. That largely depends on initial cost. If we are talking a cost of $20 versus $30, that is a full 50% increase in catering costs. If we are talking $100 versus $110, that's only a 10% increase. See what I mean?
  • Options
     My mom is graciously paying for the reception and I am just thinking about my options to make it more affordable for her. She says she can afford whatever I want (within my given funds) but I know she can more comfortably afford a meal option that is a bit cheaper.  I like the way this new poster thinks. Can we keep her around?
  • Options
    Personally, I don't think 10 bucks a person is a big enough difference to do it for the money.For us $10 was the difference between lunch and dinner. It amounted to 10% of our budget. I'd say that's a big difference, but it depends on your overall budget and starting price.
  • Options
    Awww, thanks Sara :-) /blush
  • Options
    That largely depends on initial cost. If we are talking a cost of $20 versus $30, that is a full 50% increase in catering costs. If we are talking $100 versus $110, that's only a 10% increase. See what I mean? Agreed. In my area the unfortunate reality is that you would just be hard pressed to see 10 dollars making a 50% increase to catering costs, which is why I said 'personally' at the beginning of the statement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards