Wedding Etiquette Forum

Anniversaries/dates

1) Do you celebrate dating anniversaries? FI and I don't really have a "date" when we got together, so don't celebrate our "dating anniversary". 2) Do you consider it important to choose a wedding date that has a "special meaning"? I basically think that a date's a date. When you get married on a date, it becomes your wedding date - thus, it becomes meaningful. Sorry about the excessive use of quotation marks.

Re: Anniversaries/dates

• No and No.  I don't know when we became official.  I do know when we started fuucking, though....
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • 1) Not now - I will acknowledge it, but we wont celebrate it (6 years in feb). I would rather just celebrate our wedding date.2) No, it becomes meaningful.
  • 1) We try to. For the past 2 years, we have been apart so I'd send a card and he'd send me flowers. This year, we forgot altogether and just happened to go out for apps and drinks on that day. We realized around 9pm that it was our 3 year anniversary.2) We tried to get married on our dating anniv, but that didn't work out and we picked another random date that held no meaning to us. Well, now it does.
  • [i]I do know when we started fuucking, though....[/i] always classy, sucrets.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1.  While we were dating and engaged we never celebrated the dating anniversary because we're not really sure what day it was... either Nov. 3 or 4th.  We still don't.2.  The day gains special meaning when you get married on it, so no I don't think it needs to have special meaning ahead of time.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • 1.  We celebrated our first.  This year we forgot.2.  No, not really.  Our wedding is four days after our third dating anniversary, but that's more of a coincidence than intentional.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • 1. Yes, we go out to dinner. 2. I used to. But now, eh not so much. If it were possible to get married on our dating anniv. (if it fell on a fri, sat, sun) then we'd prefer that but its not a huge deal. Whatever date we end up getting married will be special
  • We know when we met, when we had sex the first time, and when we sort of started dating. And they were in that order. They're all different months, which is okay. We don't buy each other gifts for that. But we do like to go out for dinner. Any excuse for a fancy restaurant!I'm getting married on 10/10/10. Special meaning? No. Cool binary code? Yes. We also met in October, it's our favorite month, and I really wanted a fall wedding.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • We have a dating anniversary. We'll "celebrate" it this year by getting some wine and doing it. Sort of how we celebrate Saturday. The special meaning behind our date: H wasn't in school, I had graduated, my sister wasn't in school, was on a day easy for our OOT people to travel, the church was available, etc. Getting married on a dating anniversary seems stupid to me.
  • Oh and our "dating anniversary" is July 4, so I don't want to get married then.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • 1) No, we don't celebrate our "dating" anniversary, or when we first kissed, or when we got engaged. Getting married kinda trumps all of those ;) 2) No, we chose our date based on when we could get the best hotel rates for our guests during ski season. And now, February 7th - which didn't mean anything to me before - is a special day... I think what you think about dates. When you get married you automatically change that date into a special day.
  • Oh, and when we get married I doubt we will still celebrate our dating anniversary
  • Huh? I didn't even know people think about the "meaning" of the date to get married. But you know, I'm also not the type to celebrate our "dating"  anniversary. I don't even remember what month it was.
  • 1) We celebrate the date we met, but just with a card and sometimes a nice dinner or small present. 2) We did, but only because it's a tradition in my mum's family to get engaged and/or married on the 22nd (of any month).  We followed that tradition and it turned out that the month we chose means that it is the same date mum & dad got engaged.  I didn't realise it was the same month beforehand, though, that just happened to be the month that worked best. If it wasn't that it was family tradition, I wouldn't have worried about what the date was at all. 
  • Oh, and when we get married I doubt we will still celebrate our dating anniversary.We will (and did.) Heck, it's another excuse to go out for a nice dinner. :)
  • ) Do you celebrate dating anniversaries? We used to celebrate the day we started "dating" until we got married. Now we just acknowledge the day. 2) Do you consider it important to choose a wedding date that has a "special meaning"?  We just chose a date we loved, Halloween.
  • 1) No. We were apart for the first two (we sent cards and a small gift for the first) so we just sort of forgot the third year. I think we were supposed to go out this year but for whatever reason did not. 2) Nah. I really wanted to get married in the fall, but all fall dates were booked at our venue, and I didn't want to get married with snow on the ground, so November 28 it was. Not quite fall, not quite winter (well, it's COLD, but there is no snow). Since our wedding is around a holiday we just made sure the date worked for key people before booking.
  • I do know when we started fuucking, though.... That was our first date!
  • Sucrets, this is why I <3 you.
  • Sucrets is a ho', that is why she is knocked up! ;P
  • 1. We don't celebrate, but I do remind him. Its a week after both of our birthdays, so we are already celebrating enough around that time.2. There really arent any dates with meaning that I would consider using. We picked our date based on family availability. Also, its a holiday weekend so we will always have time off to celebrate!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • 1) We acknowledge it, but don't celebrate.2) We chose 2 years since the day we got engaged.  However, we wanted a 2 year engagement and we like fall.  If he proposed in the spring we still would have gotten married in Oct.
    Photobucket
  • 1. Not really.  We usually acknowledge it, if we remember, but we haven't done anything special for a few years now.2. Not really.  The wedding becomes the "special meaning".  I don't ascribe special meaning to all sorts of dates for things, mostly because I'm terrible at remembering them.
  • Ours are all rolled into one. DH is terrible with dates. And, I do mean terrible. I have a bucket of lollipops and he gets one when he remembers an important date.... (just kidding - I really don't) But, he's terrible.I read somewhere, when we were looking for a date, that it is considered good luck to get married during the week of the groom's birthday, and especially good luck to get married ON the groom's birthday. DH's b/day is 9/24; our wedding was 9/26.  Our "dating anniversary" happens to be 9/29 (that's the day we selected - our first date happened to be a week long and that was the day we first met in person, so...).I think the good luck part is that DH has a pretty damn good shot at not forgetting our anniversary.... and yes, he's watching me type :)
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • 1)Yes, not monthly just yearly. We got by the day we first kissed cuz we dont have an "official" date either.2) We tried to, but it didnt work out to be on a Saturday, so we picked a good season that wouldnt be too cold or too hot and also when it would be a good time to go on our honeymoon. That day will become our new special day! Then we'll have more than one reason to celebrate!
  • 1. We do celebrate our dating anniversary mainly because we were surprised we made it to 1 year (and a subsequent 2nd year) because of our track record, now its just more of a celebration of us because we know its a forever thing. 2. we'd like to see if we could get married on or close to our "dating anniversary" I think it'd be kinda cool to have the same date because this one already means something to us plus it'd be easy for him to remember...it took him forever to remember this one! lol
  • 1) Do you celebrate dating anniversaries? FI and I don't really have a "date" when we got together, so don't celebrate our "dating anniversary". Yes. We usually go out and do a bar tour, re-creating the first night we met, which is something we do exactly once a year at this point. For our wedding anniversary, we typically go to the restaurant where we got married, which was our favorite place before our wedding and even more so now. 2) Do you consider it important to choose a wedding date that has a "special meaning"? Nope. Once it's your wedding date, it gets special meaning by default anyway.
  • Damn it ricks, stealing my lines.  I was feeding my fatazz. 
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • 1) no. i decided many years ago i would only celebrate wedding anniversaries. although (tmi, look away if you must) we celebrated our one year anniversary of doin' it, by doin' it a lot. 2) i think any date can be special when you get married on it. but when i was younger i decided i would someday get married on a november 1st because the way i was raised that is new years day, and a good day for 'new beginnings', etc. but whatever the day is im sure it would be special from now on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards