Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

4 day school week?

2»

Re: 4 day school week?

• Options
    That's interesting.  I imagine it skews the test results quite a bit. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    NCV2- yes, that is the only difference.  The kids who go there do so because it is the school within their geographical section of the district.  No special tests to get in or anything like that, and no special programs that differ from the typical calendar schools.  Very interesting to hear about the UK!
  • Options
    It does skew the results. This is esp true in HS testing.
  • Options
    This isn't really related, but the ONLY thing (in my opinion) that will provide significant positive improvement in kids is SMALLER CLASS SIZES.But this means hiring more teachers and having more classrooms and larger buildings, so it will never happen.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Very interesting NC.  I wonder if the reason we try and standardize everyone in the US is because of the everyone is equal mentality.
  • Options
    I agree that smaller class sizes are ridiculously important, Sucrets.  But you're right, it'll never happen.  Which is unfortunate.NCV--how large is the typical class in the UK?

• Options
    Oh, and if there's a 4 day week, I vote for Wednesday off.  A nice break in the middle.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Sucrets, I have ALWAYS said that.  Everyone thinks I'm nuts.  I'm glad I'm not nuts alone.

• Options
    In London primary classes are about 30. My class has 6, due to the children having autism. Special needs are in a separate school and I don't like it at all. I think a typical child and a special child learn from each other and benefit from being in the same school.
  • Options
    Hear hear for smaller  class sizes! In the school I just left, 27 was the average size classroom. 30 if you count the 3 that weren't inclusion.
  • Options
    School starting earlier for little kids, later for teens due to brain studies. Longer school year. Less extracurricals--poss limited per student. More intense grad requirements (here in AZ they're a joke). Smaller class sizes. Removed from extracurriculars if GPA goes below certain point (usually required but not always followed). More parental involvement, if possible and necessary somehow enforced by the schools. Better pay for teachers, or at least stop making them buy their own supplies. Start requiring some academic electives instead of extracurricular electives, or at least make it a 80/20 split. Here speaks the parent of a teacher. And a parent who grounded for report card Cs. And a parent who pulled kid from extras for Cs. And a parent whose kid went straight to ASU from high school, graduated in four years, and is working now. Surprise, my DD says she's going to follow same school discipline standards with her own kids.
  • Options
    J&K, the cat I had growing up used to try to bury her wet food if she didn't like it.  She'd grab a paper towel under the bowel or even the slip rug over by the sink.  We assumed that she thought the food smelled like $h!t so we would dump it out.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    umm.. that's tough.  I get it costs the school less for 4 days.  But if you are a working parent, it will cost you more if you need daycare for fridays.  I vote keep it at 5 days.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and I say "hell no."   I agree that our school calander sucks though. It needs to change. After teaching in the UK and experiencing their school year, I think its MUCH better.
  • Options
    Interesting Smokey!  She only buries the wet food if she's going to finish eating it later.  The "gross" stuff goes untouched and unburied.  But it makes me laugh.  I'm picturing a cat covering it up and then looking up at you like "Ew.  Take it away.  Now."We think perhaps because she's a shelter cat (we got her as a kitten, but she still spent some time in the shelter) she's more protective of her food. 

• Options
    Some states have requirements that schools be open a certain number of days a year (like 170 or 180). In New York, they would threaten to take days away from our spring break if we had too many snow days.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In WI when we had snow days we made them up at the end of the year.  Up to 3 or 4, I think.  Except HS seniors, because they got out a week earlier than everyone.  Almost every single year I was in school I had to make up snow days.  My Junior year we had 4.  My senior year?  Not a single one.  We were pissed.

• Options
     In New York, they would threaten to take days away from our spring break if we had too many snow days. That always pissed me off, but our school distrcit relied heavily on state funding and if you closed down due to weather you didn't get the funding.  We had 3 snow days the entire 4 years I was in high school.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    She'd grab a paper towel under the bowel or even the slip rug over by the sink.eeew. under the bowel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards