New York-New York City
Options

Overwhelmed already!!!

I just got engaged on Christmas Day and I am very happy. But our families are ready to plan this wedding like yesterday. Our wedding day is next August and getting ready to plan things. How do you handle the stress of everything?

Re: Overwhelmed already!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Just do 1 thing at a time. that is the best advice.. dont overwhelm yourself with trying to do 10 things at once.  if you havent picked the place yet, start looking... once that is done, move onto the next and so on.  The knot actually has a check list that you can use to help you.

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aug 2010 or Aug 2011? If its 2010 then come over to the August 2010 there are some great girls there that are on the same pace as you. I would start with a guest list and budget and start to look at halls. Good luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Just take it one thing at a time and if you like something go for it, book it and move on-- your first instinct never lies.  I've been to a few Bridal expos (which are excellent resources) and I heard there is a Bridal Art Showcase coming up at the Garden City Hotel on Long Island.    Im not sure the details of this one, maybe their website has more info.  I think Bridal Reflections (where i got my dress) is going to be there doing a fashion show! I'm hoping to check it out too:) Good Luck

• Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is super overwhelming at the beginning. If you don't have a venue yet, that's the most important thing.

For me, money was the biggest stress factor. I recommend making a budget ASAP and figuring out who is paying for what so you know what is/isn't realistic.

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The big thing is to make sure you establish some rules and boundaries to keep yourself sane.

When we got engaged, each and everytime I saw his family member, all they ever inquired about was the wedding - as if I didn't have a life before my fiance!  It was becoming such that I hated every moment of being engaged and it caused lots of stress.  Due to that and other factors, we pushed the wedding back.

When it was time to plan this time around (we'll be married this May), I learned from the first go-round and kept away from the wedding as much as possible.  We are paying for it ourselves, so I was able to just give piece meal answers in any manner I chose; if you family is helping you, you many not be able to do this, but you can keep things limited to just those that need to know.  Everyone else that would ask me something, I'd politely smile and say "you'll have to wait and see."  It really made a difference; I've just about planned everything and wasn't bothered with silly and annoying questions each and every moment.

Just try to have as much time doing other non-wedding stuff and relax.  GL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Could not agree more with our moderator alisonz...at first it is so overwhelming but once you start making decisions your vision will come together and things will start falling into place.  Find your venue, pick your wedding party, make sure your ceremony venue is available and then tackle one thing at a time.
    for me the order was:
    photographer
    band
    cermony musicans
    florist
    hotel block (if you even need it)
    guest transportation (coach buses)
    videographer
    hair/make up
    dress

point is, you don't have to do everything at once.  I've done all these things over the course of 5 months...if you need to do it quicker you can- just organize and prioritze...don't get overwhelmed.  you will figure it out.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I found more info for that upcoming bridal showcase--this may help you:

Bridal Art Showcase

February 28, 2010

The Garden City Hotel

A luxurious wedding gala experience in the Grand Ballroom of Long Island’s premier wedding destination.
    Never before on Long Island have such a team of elite wedding service experts come together this way. Guests will experience a unique bridal show in the form of a luxurious wedding gala. Set in the legendary hotel’s Grand Ballroom, as decorated by Karyn Michael Events, guests will sample diverse international banquet menus by Belgian Master Chef Steven De Bruyn and see a designer fashion show by Bridal Reflections. Expert sound and lighting, photography and designer wedding cakes are all part of the occasion
    For tickets to this event, brides must complete a brief questionnaire via our website. The cost of tickets for the first 150 registered brides is $25 per person. In return, guests receive a complimentary $25 gift card to dine at The Garden City Hotel’s signature restaurant, Rein.

45 Seventh Street

Garden City, NY 11565

PH 516.747.3000
    First 150 registered brides is $25 per person.
    noon to 5:00 p.m.
    visit website
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thank you everyone for your advise!!!
    We set a date for Aug 2011. We also found a venue and put a deposit down. Now things are smoother now and we have more than enough time to plan everything we want. Things are becoming stress free and my fiance and I are enjoying the ride! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hi.

I specialize in working out all music needs for engaged couples and offer full service cocktail hour to after party at reasonable rates.  Many brides to be are overstressed and need someone to walk them through music and a calm in organized way.

Please visit me at www.johnardenmusic.com and email me when you have a chance.

Thank you

John
    John Arden Music

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards