Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I think I'm a littlepissed.

And a bit of a postwhore today. Sorry. So around here we do big showers for babies, weddings, bday parties, etc. At least once a quarter I'm buying some big gift or organizing a shower for someone. When my co-worker asked when I wanted to do a shower, I begged her not to, as I'm only inviting her to the wedding, and I don't need any gifts. I know work showers are ok, blah blah blah but I felt weird about it. I don't mind giving gifts for the showers but I just don't want to get them.  I told her we could all go out after work one night for drinks and everyone could celebrate that way. It's tonight, and only about 5 out of nearly 30 people are coming. I know I shouldn't be bitchy about a party thrown for me, but it makes me sad that no one can take 45 minutes to come out, so I'm venting here.

Re: I think I'm a littlepissed.

• Options
    That would make me sad too.  That's also kinda why I haven't told many coworkers I'm getting married.  At all.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I love when you are a PW - I feel like you are the lead in one of the novels I read, so I get daily life updates! They arent coming. Boo to them. Even us internet strangers know how stupid they are for missing out on a Bec night - she's the coolest cat in school.  I will have Mimosa in your honor tonight. Lots of it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I would come, Bec.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    Are the typical showers, weddings, bday parties held during work hours or after hours?  I could see that if they're normally held at work, most people will come just to get some free cake and get away from their desks for a while, but if it's after work, no one would want to go except those that are closer to you.  If that's the case (that normal parties are during work and yours isn't), I wouldn't take it personally that fewer people are coming.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe the other 25 people are coming as zombies?Surprise!
  • Options
    I had a 5/530 "surprise" shower and there were at least 3 people there who I NEVER talk to.  I was like, seriously?  Go away.  And get the people I actually like to come to my shower b/c not enough of them are here right now.
  • Options
    I've told some coworkers, but I'm keeping the "when" a secret. I also REALLY get annoyed at in-office showers, because I feel forced to go when I'm not close to people, but after-hour stuff seems like a good idea. Are you close to the other people, or are these 5 people the coworkers you usually talk to?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks egeiger! That's so sweet! We've even had showers on Saturdays, so it's not the timing. Or maybe it is. People may have busy Thursdays; who knows. I know invites went out two weeks ago, but I may be just taking it personally. Maybe I should have screamed "I want a big pretty fluffy shower with big pretty fluffy presents!!111!1!!!" instead.
  • Options
    Aww, I'm sorry Bec.  That's really a drag, especially after your b-party let-down.  :(If it makes you feel any better, NO ONE at my old job congratulated me on my wedding except my boss and his admin.  No one even noticed I was gone.  No one even acknowledged it until HR came over and changed my nameplate on my cubicle.  People suck.  That's why we have the knot.
  • Options
    For you, darling:
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    for you I might make an exception, but Danielliza had it dead on.  Add to that I won't drink around people I work with, so yeah, I'm not delaying my arrival home after a long day for a shower.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Those assholes! I'm beginning to suspect that your coworkers have no idea how awesome you are and it seriously pisses me off.
  • Options
    Aw, thanks Fische! (even though it's not fluffy, and not filled with presents.)Heels, I know! It's like every WR party is doomed! At least I sacrificed the B-party for a trip to Disney. That doesn't bother me at all. I'm close to very few people, but I reach out and help plan and do for everyone. I just thought it would be nice to hang out for a few minutes after work. I should focus on quality and not quantity! I'm not sure who is showing up, really.
  • Options
    Bec:  You're awesome!  Please accept this virtual gift of a knife holder as a token of my esteem.  The corporation thanks you for your hard work.  
  • Options
    Anna, that's awesome! Thank you! I really need one of those, I think.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about buying one as a gift for my cousin's wedding.
  • Options
    HA! I was an MOH last year for one of my besties and that's exactly what I gave them for the wedding. :-)
  • Options
    anna I'm going to need you to tell me where I can buy those. right now.
  • Options
    Bec, I'm so glad to hear someone else feels like this. My secretarial pool threw a post-wedding luncheon for me and invited all the women in the building I work with. The attendees: 4 of the 5 in my pool, plus 3 others. Only 1 of the 3 from my department (my boss, who is female, was out of the country, so I'll give her that).  There are probably 20 women in this building. And it involved free food and no gifts.I felt very awkward and sad.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards