Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Registry options?

A post on the honeymoon board got me thinking. What are the options for gift registries?I know that my family will purchase gifts, regardless of my feelings on the subject. FI and I have been living together for over 6 years and truly don't need anything for the house. We have too much as it is from well-meaning family members at Christmas and every other occasion.What do you do? The way I see it, there are three options and I'm not fond of any of them: 1) spread the word that we would prefer cash 2) create a traditional registry to upgrade our current household belongings, and 3) register for a honeymoon.Do you just neglect to address the topic completely and store the resulting fleet of gravy boats for the next quarter century? Or is there some option I'm missing?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registry options?

• Options
    2 is your only good option Noone wants to pay for your honeymoon. Just ask Nebb
  • Options
    Do not do 3.  Tacky.If you don't address the topic you'll get a bunch of weird crap you don't need or want.Register to upgrade your stuff.  Donate your old stuff to charity. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    There is also an Option 4, which is to create a registry with a minimal amount of items. To some (like me), this would indicate that you would prefer cash but to others, it may mean that you are open to more things and they'll just go buy you whatever the heck they want and that can be both good and bad.I'd go with #2 out of those 3 though.
  • Options
    you can also always register at nontraditional stores, likehome depot types, best buy types, or maybe register for a few things that give hints ( like a wallet).  But that might be really tacky depending on your guests.  

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    Ditto ggmae.  She is wise.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Interesting.. I wouldn't have thought it's any better to ask for better versions of stuff you already have than any of the other options. I'm not a material person - I have perfectly functional belongings and could not care less about having more expensive versions of the same. I would say it's tacky to register for anything you don't genuinely care about. I'm assuming everyone else would agree with that? I do like the idea of a minimal registry. It's the idea of being given lots of 'stuff' that I'm expected to then store and bring out when the guests come over that bothers me.. I'm not sentimental and I am ruthless when getting rid of stuff I don't use. I cannot imagine storing wedding gifts I don't need, but it also seems the ultimate insult to do away with well-meant gifts. I guess really this isn't that different from Christmas. I really wish our society did not feel that gift giving is so necessary. What's the most polite way to tell people that you only want the honour of their presence at the wedding? (e.g. seriously, please don't buy us anything.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ggmae's advice.  #1 & 3 are out of the question imo.
  • Options
    I would not register rather than do 1 or 3. Most people, even if they are okay with a honeymoon registry, suggest you do a traditional registry along with it. I don't understand why people think not registering is not an option - people can still buy you gifts, it will just be a total surprise!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I would prefer not to register, but I'm worried about the gifts I may wind up getting and having to store for years to come. The 'total surprise' thing freaks me a out a bit, particularly since many of our guests are family that I love, but they don't know me or my tastes all that well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Understandable. I guess it depends. If it's a big wedding, then you might have a lot of crazy gifts to deal with. In my opinion... at least I'd remember who gave them to me. ;-) However, for you I'd suggest a small registry. People will probably get the hint and give you a check. And if they want to buy you a physical gift, like you mentioned (my FI's family is that way), they have the registry.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards