Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Magazines

Are they worth buying? With all of the info readily available on theinternet, should I purchase them?Or do you know any free mags?
-Niesha
Mom of a Princess, Wife of a King! Nervously Expecting! :)BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Wedding Magazines

• Options
    I bought a couple and honestly, they were a waste of money, the internet was much more helpful.
  • Options
    I bought two and tore out pics of things I was interested in.  everything else article wise, I printed off the internet.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Buy 1 or 2, get it out of your system and then find the actual useful stuff online. FI mom bought me like 5 when he told her that he was going to propose. I enjoyed them, mostly for getting an idea of what I liked for a dress.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    The most useful thing in most wedding magazines are the 20% off coupons to Michael's some of them have. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I agree with Alix. You could always browse them at Borders, but even TK has way more info. Wedding mags have, like 5 real life weddings per issues and 12 BM dresses and you can see many more and see them in customized colors if you look online.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I got a couple as gifts after I got engaged and they were fun to look through...sorta. But not really HELPFUL.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I'll admit I was stoked when FI first engaged and I work in a mall so there is a bookstore that I bought like 5 at...and they were nice for looking at dresses but the articles were not helpful at all.
  • Options
    I found them helpful when I first got engaged and was trying to figure out what style of wedding we wanted. Once we picked a place and I bought a dress, however, I did not find them helpful at all. It seemed like every one I looked through had wedding gowns on every-other page. Not too helpful when you've already got a dress. I've been using the knot for everything.
  • Options
    My aunt bought me one when I first got engaged. I found most of the advertisements (which were the bulk of the magazine) to be things WAY too out of reach for the average bride. And not really much of anything helpful. In fact my aunt started folding down pages of things she thought were just hideous. Seriously those things are just ads. I counted one time when I was waiting for FI to get his hair cut. I counted 142. If there are any that aren't like this, I haven't been looking hard enough to come across them. For now I'd stick with the net if you want ideas that can be realistic.
    Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
  • Options
    They are so ridiculously expensive here and pretty much useless, although they do give you some ideas about vendors (if they're local mags) and decoration/attire, but nothing you can't find online.
  • Options
    although ps: don't tell the Bridal magazine who contacted me last week what I'm saying here! haha. But really, I don't think they're overly useful, but interesting to look at if you're stuck on public transport with nothing else to do! I wouldn't rush out to buy them, though.
  • Options
    If you think you'll be a few then get a subscription.  The cost at the store is SO high compared to getting it in the mail. I liked reading the printed media and flipping through the glossy pages but I also got a ton of ideas through TK as well. 
  • Options
    I've bought a few. The articles aren't particularly useful but I enjoy flipping through them before I go to bed. I might be odd-woman out here, but I like to look at dresses more in a magazine as opposed to little thumbnails on a website, but that could also be because my computer is crapola :)
  • Options
    I did buy one that was all cakes. It was awesome! We were having trouble picking a cake design and I had already sorted through everything on the knot so I needed to go somewhere else for ideas.
  • Options
    I liked looking at the pictures.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    No, they're not worth buying at all.  That being said, I bought a bunch because it's the only time in my life that I 'could'.  I got it out of my system.If you're strapped for cash, don't waste your money.  If you have some $ to throw away, go for it.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I love reading the sections where peopel write in with problems or questions. I find that to be helpful...and I just picked up one because of the story of how to deal with your mother.
  • Options
    I have used the Knot and other online stuff for just about everything.  My mom bought me a planning book when I got engaged... it's in a closet somewhere. 
  • Options
    I found them to be useless. Over half of the magazine is just bridal gown ads.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I work at a wedding magazine (we have a website too), I understand that the internet is so very useful. All of our ads are local to the area the mags are sold in. Eg the Toronto issue has all ads and planning tips for the Toronto area, so I think that is useful for some brides.
  • Options
    When my daughter got engaged, I bought her a bridal magazine. It had pretty pictures. that's about all it was good for. And yes, I found much more useful information on the internet. Later I bought a hairstyle magazine, and it was VERY helpful, and not just for the wedding. Pretty early on, while shopping for her dress, the bridal store consultant told us she looks through them occasionally, to keep up with current trends, but that otherwise, she found it more stresssful to look at them. I found that to be very true for my daughter. We found out early on, it was better for me to find out what my daughter liked, then do the research and narrow down choices before giving them to her, or else she'd get overwhelmed and couldn't make or stick with a decision. So it was much better to keep her away from the bridal magazines.
  • Options
    They're a waste, but fun- probably more so if you haven't bought your dress already, but that was the very first thing I bought.  I still got some, just because it's not like I can buy them after the wedding.  There's a brand new mag out, GetMarried.com; somehow I was on the list to get the first issue.  It's cute.  You might be able to score one by going to the website.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sometimes department stores give you free ones when you register (Dillards, Belk, etc). I agree with everyone else.  They're all ads and dresses, and the articles suck.  They should all be free as much advertising as they have in them.  I did buy some, though.  My sister worked at a book store and got me some, and Sams club had theirs for 50% off.
  • Options
    I like Martha Stewart, InStyle, and Town & Country, but found most of the rest not that helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards