Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Words you don't like

Nick and me were just talking.  I saw on fb someone said they were "Chillaxin"...That word bugs the crap out of me.I also don't like the word "nipple"  I don't say it, and every Thanksgiving my grandma is sure to say she is thankful for hers, just because i hate that word.Nick said he doesn't like the word "Diva".So what word just bugs the dickens out of you?
Photobucket

Re: Words you don't like

• Options
    Your grandma seriously says 'nipple' at Thanksgiving?  Can I share her with you?
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Snarl. My mom used to say "snarl" in relation to my hair when I was a kid, so I hate it. I prefer tangle.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Yeah, mag, I don't say the P word either.

• Options
    I don't like words that when you say them a few times, they don't even sound like real words anymore. Of course, right now I can't think of any off the top of my head. I have a friend that detests the word "moist" - it cracks me up.
  • Options
    ctfu at your grandma being thankful for her nips! Mine is panties. just sounds weird to me
  • Options
    "bangs" in relation to hair. It's a fringe.
  • Options
    Thrush.*vomits*

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    Ohhhh I hate the word "panties" its so dirty!Sucrets---my grandma rocks.  She grabbed an usher's butt down the aisle.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Wow, a lot of people don't like the word panties. In light of this, I think we should bring back the term "knickers."
  • Options
    I prefer to call them what I wear...Grannies.I have a friend who hates the word "ointment".
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Anything that is an unnecessary abbreviation. Moist.I don't like the phrase "I'll touch base with_____"And I don't like the phrase "We are addressing the ______ piece of this, if you'll attend to the other piece."I don't like the word piece unless it is describing cake or getting some in regards to college lingo.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Irregardless.  THIS ISN'T A WORD.  The correct term is 'regardless'.   Please.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Wow, a lot of people don't like the word panties. In light of this, I think we should bring back the term "knickers." I vote for "foundations". It's so much more giggle-worthy.
  • Options
    I guess this is more of a phrase but I can not tolerate when people say they got their hair "did."   omgstfu.

• Options
    HUBBYpreggopreggerssammichbasically all baby talk coming out of an adult's mouth
  • Options
    smorgasbord. Just because it's stupid. Oh, and noggin. Noggin is dumb too And I REALLY hate when people add something to "licious", like "bootylicious" or something like that.
    Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
  • Options
    Midwesterners will recognize this one.  I hate it..."Where is that at?"  People add "at" and it bugs me!  I also hate "pop"  its soda!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    cochlea.
  • Options
    Appys.  

• Options
    If we're doing phrases too, I hate that people in my area (NY/NJ) say "Since I'm 5 years old" as in "I've been able to tie my shoes since I'm 5 years old" Really, are you still 5? Because that's what you're saying to me.
  • Options
    I hate mispronunciations like "punkin" and "libary"
  • Options
    East, what the hell does that mean?
  • Options
    Libary is the worst!or "Ya know"  No I don't know!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I hate mispronunciations like "punkin" and "libary" And "fustrated". There's an "r" in there, pronounce it.
  • Options
    YEs, Sucrets, that's definitely ok. Shelly, my brother and I tease each other about ending sentences in at all the time. Like, when one of us does it, we'll repeat it and say the AT part really loud and obnoxiously to make the other feel stupid.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    kdc - I'm from LI and don't really recall that...but it might sound vaguely familiar.

• Options
    What about people who take things for "granite".  Like my counter top?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Fish, I hear it all the time, I should be used to it, but I still feel compelled to correct them.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    sucrets, my one BM does it all the time - she was born in NY, family is from Brooklyn and she grew up in NJ. I don't know where she gets it from, but I've heard it from other people too. Drives me mad. Also, the use of "draw" for "drawer" Ugh.
  • Options
    I have a friend who constantly says that instead of "appetizers."   "Do you want to get some appys?" Oh my god, you're not five, it doesn't need a cutsey shortened name.  I googled it once to see if it was just her and apparently its somewhat common?  It makes me want to bang my head into a wall. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards