Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I can see my mom and FMIL duking it out...

Mom feels insecure because FMIL is thinner than her (not joking, she hates everyone that is thinner than her...she's a size 8...which is certainly NOT fat at all). FMIL feels insecure because she is unemployed Mom is a doctor. Now mom is mad because she called FMIL to say thank you for lunch (left a message) and FMIL didn't call her back to say thank you for coming. She went on a whoooole looooong sob story about how "ooohhhh, it doesn't matter because we won't really have a relationship with them anyway....it's not like OUR culture where the families join together." Ummm yeah mom...how is her family going to join yours when you hate her for being skinny? Anyway, I know it's not a big deal, just venting. Does anyone else have mother/fmil tensions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I can see my mom and FMIL duking it out...

• Options
    I thank God every day that no, I do not. I love my mom, I love my FMIL, and they get along great. Phew! I would just ignore it.
  • Options
    Nope. They have only met once at the wedding and they will most likely ever see each other again.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    At first I was stressed out about my mom not speaking Spanish and his mom not speaking English (she understands, but refuses to speak English beyond simple pleasantries). I've come to realize that it's really quite a blessing, however ;)
  • Options
    The first time my mom met MIL (before we were engaged) my mom told me "if she's skinnier than me you can't marry him." They actually get along fine now, but I was worried at first :) My mom is a nutjob.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    wow.i'm so glad that i will never have to deal with that.not only is the MIL barely in our lives, but her and my mum only met at the shower and the wedding and that was that.
  • Options
    My mom thinks my MIL is crazy. I find it rather amusing because my mom has the same puzzled, "I just don't understand you" expression when she's talking to MIL that I do when I talk to MIL. But they put on happy faces when they see each other, which is not often anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    My FMIL is skinny and 10 years younger then my mom, my mom shrugged it off. FILs are English and my family lives in PA I don't really think they will see each other all that often.
  • Options
    At first I was stressed out about my mom not speaking Spanish and his mom not speaking English (she understands, but refuses to speak English beyond simple pleasantries). About the same here!  My dads wife speaks English only, and FI's mom (and most of his family) only speak Spanish.  So conversation is limited.  The wedding hasn't happened yet, so I'm not sure how they will interact, if at all, when that time comes.  However, I'm sure with the language barrier; I have little to worry about as far as confrontations.
  • Options
    Mine haven't met yet. But they are very different. Thankfully, they live in separate states. Kinda sad, since my parents' mothers loved each other and got along really, really well.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Sorry for posting and running...a guest just stopped by. Anyway, you guys are right...they will barely see each other afterwards, and nine months of dealing with it is not terrible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We all get together once a year at Thanksgiving which DH and I host...and this might increase to include Christmas when we have kids, but we will see.  They aren't much alike, but they get along fine.  MIL gets a kick out of my mom (who is nuts and comfortable with it), my dad doesn't really like anybody (doesn't dislike, just couldn't care less...he is pleasant, but that's it), and FIL loves to tell the same stories over and over again about his dead dogs, and everyone just humors him.
    imageimage
    BFP 5/2/11, missed m/c, D&C 6/13/11
    BFP 12/8/11--Little Girl E Born 8/22/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards