Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Would this be to AWish?

During high school I was big into choir and singing and still do it on occasion and it always makes FI happy... Would it be too AWish to sing him a song at the reception? I like the idea but am worried it might be a little too "look at me"... I can't ask anyone we know because it will all be a surprise to him... What do you all think?

Re: Would this be to AWish?

• Options
    Oh and thank you!
  • Options
    If that's something that fits you, then I say go for it.I'm a singer but I don't really sing to DH, so it would have been weird for me.Friends of mine who are bway performers sang/played piano for a song to their parents. 
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Do what you want! It's your wedding.
  • Options
    Well, a wedding is pretty AWish so I don't think that the act of singing would necessarily be too AWish. I saw a friend serenade his bride at their wedding, it was very sweet. Buuuut... he's a classically trained operatic type singer. It's only fun to watch if you're good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    I was nervous enough! But my MOH did a song (that she wrote) instead of a speech and it was a big hit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Dang... I just noticed i misspelled *too* I am still going to think about it! I do not like being the center of attention... I went dress shopping with a bunch of people on Saturday and nearly fainted I got all worked up! I used to perform a lot when I was younger... I do not know what happened! My Dad came up with a solution to have the music there and I can give the DJ a signal that I will be able to do it... I have been wanting to get back to practicing anyways
  • Options
    See, I think those are 2 separate things.  I used to hate having people sing 'Happy Birthday' to me as a kid, but was fine performing for hundreds of people.  Ditto ring on having it be good for it to be successful.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I had some friends who are great singers who sang a song together, with his parents (i think it was his?  I can't remember...) during the ceremony.  Unfortunately I wasn't there but Andy said he really liked it.  If you are honestly good, then go ahead.  Otherwise I would hate for you to be only OK and have people feel embarrassed for you.  I had a cousin sing a song at a family anniversary party and it was reaaaal awkward. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    I think in the reception it could be really fun. What kind of song - serious or sweet/funny?
  • Options
    I am a little but rusty! I think I will practice a bit... Maybe take a voice lesson or two and see where I end up! (I have almost 9 monhts until then) Oh being bad would be awful...
  • Options
    I would think sweet... He always jokingly sings "When I fall in Love" to me... Something in that genre I think
  • Options
    I am not a fan of this, but hey, it's your wedding. If you want to do it, do it. Who cares what anyone else thinks about this being AWish. It's for FH, not anyone else.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    If this is something you really want to do, are a decent singer, and your fiance wouldn't be too self conscious, then nothing wrong with it. If someone serenaded me in front of a crowded room, I'd be really self conscious and embarrassed, and wouldn't quite know how to act. But others might love it. As a guest, I wouldn't care to see something like that, it would seem a little too emotional and personal to share with all your guests. But again, others might love it. It's times like this you really need to know your audience.
  • Options
    Thank you all for you opinions! I figured this would be a good place to get a lot of different advice! I guess I am still undecided... Maybe that is my answer. If I am so unsure it may not be a good idea!
  • Options
    "I guess I am still undecided... Maybe that is my answer. If I am so unsure it may not be a good idea!"Maybe it just means you still need time to think about it. :)It's your wedding, so eyes are going to be mostly on you, anyway... so being the center of attention will just make it even more so.I saw an episode of Bridezillas where the bride claimed to be a professional... she was a musical theater teacher (I think), but her acting was just awful... and her singing was even worse. She absolutely humiliated herself. Her new husband was cringing. She had just spent the week running around and yelling at everyone... and ended up losing her voice, or what was left of it, anyway.Honestly, if this isn't something you feel comfortable doing, then don't. But if you want to do it, go for it But definitely plan it out so you at least won't lose your voice, lol.
  • Options
    My H and I did a song together at our reception.  I'm a singer and he plays the blues harmonica, occassionally with a band.  So I sang a rocking blues song (Love Me Like a Man by Bonnie Raitt) while he played harmonica and our friend played guitar.  It was really fun and our guests were blown away.  I was told by several people that they were so glad it wasn't a mushy love song.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards