Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

WWP&ED?

Hypothetically speaking of course, would you accept financial help offered by either your parents or your spouse's/FI's parents if you were laid off work and having trouble finding a job?

Re: WWP&ED?

• Options
  • Options
    Sure.  If they offered.  I would never ask them. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    If they offered, yes.
  • Options
    Yes, if I really needed it.
  • Options
    Would it change your mind if you didn't think that the parents could really afford it?
  • Options
    Is the plan to pay them back once you get a job or is it a gift?
  • Options
    If they offered yes.
  • Options
    Hypothetically speaking, the offer was as a Christmas gift.
  • Options
    It would depend on the amount.  If they wanted to pick up say the electric bill or buy some grocercies, I would still take it.  If they wanted to pick more than that than no.But unless you know your parents situation it's hard to know if they really do not have the money or not. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I would if they offered, but I would have to put it directly toward a bill, rent, or something like that...I'd feel bad just using it as cash.  And if they really couldn't afford it...I dunno it seems like they wouldn't be offering if it was a hardship?
  • Options
    If it was my parents-maybe cause I know there would be no strings attached.  and I would repay them (or donate the amount they gave me to a charity causeI know they wouldnt take it back).DH's parents? Not a chance in helll.
  • Options
    Well, shiite. Looks like I was on the wrong side of this battle. Maybe he will compromise and try to convince his mom(s) and dad to let us pay them back when he gets a job. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
  • Options
    Yes, I would. I would accept knowing I would pay them back, regardless. I would never ask for the money or ask if they wanted me to pay them back - it would be paid back. My/DH's parents finances are none of my business and I would assume if they offered an amount of money, it wouldn't be a hardship on them. I've been offered/given money in the past when I was in trouble and I paid most of it back (one situation friends told me not to worry about the remaining balance and to this day I feel like a douche for not paying it back, even though they said not to).
  • Options
    May I ask why you continue to use "hypothetically speaking, of course" when I'm starting to get the idea it's not a hypothetical situation? :P
  • Options
    Comic effect, Sco. At which I failed obviously.
  • Options
    Yes, if they offered and if we really, really needed it.
  • Options
    Sara, I have yet to have any caffeine this morning. My brain isn't working yet.
  • Options
    If I really needed it badly, I would take it. I would do my best to pay it back, though. I would also assume that they would not give us the money if it was something they truly could not afford.
  • Options
    It depends. If we really needed it, I would absolutely graciously accept. Accepting money, as reluctant as I would be, is better than not paying your bills.  Pride is only useful to a certain degree - if you can't get by, but your family offers to help, I say go for it.   If I could get by on my savings, I would say no thanks.I have always paid my own way, from when I moved for college at 18 until now, at 25.  However, I lived at home for free during the summer, and gladly accepted free dinners during this time.  I think there's a huge difference between "mooching" and accepting help when you really need it.Obviously I would pay back the money.
  • Options
    Absolutely I would.  THis would avoid having to charge anything to credit cards and what not.  It'd be a lot easier to pay back an interest free loan.  Plus I know that both our parents would insist on helping us out if need be.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    When I was unemployed and FI was still waiting for his first checks from his job to come in, I did accept a bit of help from my mom, mostly so I could have some kind of health insurance.  Honestly, that's what family is for, and if SHE were unemployed and I was in a position to help HER, I would.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    If they offered and we really needed it, I would accept and make plans to pay it back.
  • Options
    Yep.  They probably wouldn't offer if they couldn't afford it.
  • Options
    ditto pps. Especially if they money would go to things like rent, electric, etc. I would feel strange using it as "cash."
  • Options
    I would and I have. Being in grad school, I only have steady work nine months out of the year, at basically slave wages, and so I always have to get another job during the summer. This year, I taught a summer course that was prorated because the enrollment was too small, so I only got half of what was originally promised me. I'm really grateful to both FI and my parents for helping me through that.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    The money was offered to pay his car payment. I just feel like such a mooch and heel accepting this, even with plans to pay it back.
  • Options
    If it meant keeping something superfluous, like my entertainment habits of cable TV, high speed internet or going out with friends... you know, beyond basic shelter, food and water, then I probably wouldn't.
  • Options
    Yes.  Pride comes before a fall and all that.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Parents hate to see their children struggling and if they really couldn't afford it they probably wouldn't offer it.If they are going in to debt to do this then no, if they aren't take the money and offer to pay it back or accept it as a christmas gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards