Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Saving while planning?

Hi Girls,I haven't started any actual planning because my wedding is not until Aug. 2011.  My FH and I are saving 1500-2000 per month to pay for the wedding.  Have you found that you can continue to save money as you begin your planning or does it seem that you need to already have the lump sum of your budget at your disposal right away? I'm trying to anticipate whether or not we will be able to afford a $20K wedding (which we can save in the course of that time) or not.Thanks and I hope it wasn't confusing!

Re: Saving while planning?

• Options
    You'll need to have some money for deposits as you book vendors, but most of the balances, in my experience are paid closer to the wedding date.  Depending on the vendor, it can be from the day of to a month before hand.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    You need some money at the early stages for deposits. For us, the deposits totaled to about 25% of our overall budget. Then the rest gets paid within the last couple of weeks before your wedding, so you can continue to save until then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    I would say the majority of my spending came closer to the wedding, except for the deposit for our venue and my dress and veil.  We had to pay the venue deposit right away when we booked, but the other expenses like our florist, cakes, DJ, and Officiant were all much closer to the wedding, like within the week/month of.  I'm sure it's different for everyone though.  I did have a lot of miscellaneous spending on decorations though throughout the year we planned.You can definitely save as you plan.  That's what we did and by the end, we had enough to pay our final bills and go on our honeymoon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  We paid a lot in deposits right away, then no payments (other than little stuff for my DIY invites and other paper goods) for a long while, then a whack of payments in the month before the wedding.
  • Options
    Like PPs said, most of the money is due closer to the wedding.  However, I caution that a lot can happen in a year and a half.  Job loss, health issues, etc. can affect how much money you end up being able to save.  Planning a $20,000 wedding based on what you THINK you'll be able to save is a lot different than planning a $20,000 wedding based on what you have in the bank.You may end up being locked into contracts with vendors that you can't ultimately afford if you book too soon, basing your budget on what you can save in the future.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all so much!  I feel a lot better :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards