Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

KUI: Talk me off the Ledge

Ok there is about a 50% chance FI and I are going to change our venue.  4.5 months out.  Are we completely insane?  Is anyone bored enough to want to look at non-linky URLs?  There are like 5 places I'd rather have the wedding at now.

Re: KUI: Talk me off the Ledge

• Options
    I changed mine 5 months out. Lost a deposit too. I'm so glad I did it. Sorry, guess that was giving you a push.
  • Options
    Sarah, actually I appreciate that.  We'd most likely lose a deposit but I think we could save more than the amount of the deposit if we changed the venue.  Sigh.
  • Options
    I'm majorly into venue planning mode now.  Non-clicky link me!
  • Options
    Kati, same situation for us. We actually ended up saving about $3,000 because of the pricing of food and minimum count, but lost a $1,000 deposit and I was much happier with the new venue.
  • Options
    What happened?
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    What happened?Basically the service has sucked ballz since we paid the deposit.  FI has sent numerous emails to our supposed coordinator and received no response.  He escalated it to our sales guy a few months ago and was finally able to set up an in-person meeting with our coordinator three-ish weeks ago.  At that meeting she was super nice but we had some follow up questions that she promised to answer post-meeting.  She has since again been unresponsive to his emails.  We are supposed to pay 50% of the total cost by December 1st and feel very uncomfortable doing so.
  • Options
    Are you going to be saving money? Or losing money (deposit, more costly venue, etc.)? If you'd be saving money (and your sanity) I'd find a new place. The Shutters on the Beach venue looks like paradise and the place for a dream wedding
    ?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you'd be saving money (and your sanity) I'd find a new place. The Shutters on the Beach venue looks like paradise and the place for a dream wedding.That is pretty much my dream wedding too, I think with Shutters it'd come out to around the exact same cost as my current venue so the loss of the deposit would potentially be a hit.  Although honestly at this point I am willing to take the hit on the deposit if it means more peace of mind that things won't blow up in my face on the actual wedding day.
  • Options
    The go for it! If the management and staff are better than your current place, these next few months should go more smoothly.
    ?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've only seen the outside of Shutters on the Beach, but it looks gorgeous. That would be my pick.My company had a holiday party in Marina del Rey on one of those boats last year. The food was not great, since it was... on a boat. It was fun and sort of unique, but I don't know that I'd want it for my wedding. But we were on the 150 person boat. The 300 person boat might be better.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    [quote]I feel like such a jackass for not looking at more venues. ::cries::[/quote]It's the crazy MUST RESERVE EVERYTHING NOW NOW NOW!11!! mentality that TK encourages.  It's good to keep your mind open, though.Ok, I'm in research mode.  BBS.
  • Options
    It's the crazy MUST RESERVE EVERYTHING NOW NOW NOW!11!! mentality that TK encourages. It's good to keep your mind open, though.Honestly I wish I'd discovered TK (ok, really just P&E) before I started planning, it would have saved me from a lot of regret.  I just have a natural OMG MUST BOOK NOW mentality, my poor mom tries to remind me of this but I continually try to plan every aspect of my life waaaay too early.
  • Options
    So a few variables aren't known to me - how big is your guest list?  Do you really want an outdoor wedding?  But still, here's my vote and why.1.  Shutters - it looks the nicest for the most options, indoor and outdoor and you won't have to put nearly as much into making it look purty as some of the other options.2.  Sheraton Delfina - I'm not clear on where the ceremony would happen here - by the pool?  But if you liked the ceremony spot, the reception ballroom is gorgeous, and could move this into being tied with Shutters.3. Yacht club - if you're a yachty couple, then I could see this working.  The space will need more work than the others to make purty, but it could work.  I love the outdoor option.4.  Yacht - if you could stay on the top the whole time, it'd be awesome.  The rest of the space looks really outdated and would need the most work, imo, and I'm not sure I'd want to do all that.
  • Options
    I should clarify - I think the rest of TK encourages the crazy must do everything ASAP mentality.  P&E is a haven of realism (and stuff :) ).
  • Options
    I don't know how active the Southern California Boards are, but you might try posting them there. I bet there are some brides with some experience with those locations. I know the Northern Cali board was a lifesaver when we changed venues at 2 months out.
  • Options
    I just want to say that I looked at Shutters and was a little sad I could not get married there! Where you are getting married currently looks nice as well... You just have to decide if your stress and how you will feel later is worth the loss of the deposit! The service may not change... If you think it is... Go for it!
  • Options
    Shutters 100%.  The food is amazing!  You'll be paying the same, but getting a much higher quality experience from start to finish.  Worth the loss of deposit the way I look at it.Anyone who lives in the LA area, if you feel like having a brief but fancy getaway, go to Shutters for brunch.  It's delish and the place is so calming, you feel like you've escaped from real life.
  • Options
    Can you be certain that the Shutters place will have better customer service? I would definitely set up a meeting with them and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Thanks girls, sorry for the post and run last night - FI came home suddenly and wanted to talk everything through again.  I think we are definitely going to set up some additional venue appointments in the next week so we can make a decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards