Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Oh, Georgia...

Did you find any fabric you liked on that website?Also, I saw the directions for a rag quilt (I think that's what they're called). Have you ever made one of those? I haven't sewed (sewn?) anything since I was in junior high, but I was okay at it. I'm looking for some semi-easy homemade Christmas projects. Could I learn to do this on my own good instructions?

Re: Oh, Georgia...

• Options
    I'm still searching for the dining room chairs, although I did see several fabrics on purl that I may order for pillows in my guest room and for gifts. That site is awesome!! I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can talk B into stopping at a fabric store or two. If Atlanta doesn't have anything, then I give up!! The rag quilt looks easy enough; I would make a small one and go from there. I REALLY wanted to make some of these last year, but never got around to it: http://www.marthastewart.com/article/stuffed-animals-how-toThey are so cute!!
  • Options
    Those are REALLY adorable :) I thought about making fleece tie blankets for each of the kids (our niece and nephews and foster niece and nephew), but that's 5 blankets! I still might do it - that's something nice for them to snuggle up with this winter.I thought I'd make the rag blankets for each of our grandmas, since they have everything they could ever need or want :)
  • Options
    Vogt-a few years ago for Christmas my sister and her friend made me one of those fleece tied blackets.  Love it!  I use it all the time.  If you have the time, do it for the kids.  They'll love them.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    GKB - I usually make one or two a year for someone :) Last year, I made 49er one that he LOVES. And I love to steal it, so I might make myself one too. I made my nephew one when he was born that he still carries with him to this day (he's 3 and a half). It's getting kind of raggedy though, it's time for a new one :)
  • Options
    Good idea about the rag blankets for grandmas- I have three widowed grandmas and they're all difficult to buy for because, like you said, they have everything they could possbile need. My mom has made a couple of the fleece tag blankets- I might make one for my best friend's daughter- she'll only be six months old by Christmas, so that owuld be perfect! You are my Christmas inspiration!! What should I do for my parents? :) I was going to do something wedding pic related, but my mom has already copied some pics off my CD's, as did my MIL. So that's out. Parents are so hard to buy for.
  • Options
    You two are so creative.  I think you'll both be my inspiration.  I'll just watch this thread for ideas.
    Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options
    gkb, I've also wanted to make those bakery mixes for people for years and never have, and I think I will this year. You just get a jar and put all the dry ingredients in it with a recipe to make cookies or brownies or whatever. Tie a cute ribbon around it and voila!! If I do brownies, I'll use this recipe: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/cookies/brownies-in-a-jar/
  • Options
    GA-I did a bunch of them when I worked at the alternative HS.  It was a job for some kids and I oversaw that project.  We sold them for presents.  They are a good idea and I never remember them.
  • Options
    I did that last year, GA! Cookie mix, plus recipe cards for some people. This year I want to do it with bread mix. Let's see, for your parents... (This only works if everyone is still married) Maybe have a custom mat made for some photos. Put your parents wedding picture at the center and all around it, include photos of you and your siblings growing up, wedding photos, photos of grandchildren etc. Then, at the bottom, leave a long opening and in it, print something that says "All because two people fell in love..." It's a little cheesey, but I find that parents like the cheese :) The other thing you could do if you want to invest some time is make a family recipe book. Tell your Mom and MIL you'd like to have some of their holiday recipes (if you don't already have them) - then ask everyone in the family for stories about holiday meals, or what memories come up when you mention that special family dish. Make sure they write the stories down in THEIR handwriting. Find pictures of you from holidays during mealtimes, or even pictures of the food if you have them. Put it all together scrapbook or photo album style, and leave a few blank pages at the back to continue adding recipes and memories. Then make sure you get a family meal picture at Thanksgiving that includes everyone, and put that on the cover (so it'll be fairly recent).
  • Options
    Vogt-you rock!!  I love reading your ideas.  At our wedding on the gift table, I'm putting a sign I found at Hallmark that says "All because two people fell in love..." I got pictures of siblings, aunts and uncles, parents, grandparents weddings and I'm putting them on that table.  While I was looking for the sign, I saw some great frames at Hallmark with a similar concept to your idea.
  • Options
    There ya go, go to Hallmark. :) We got one of those signs too, GKB, but scrapped the idea. I didn't know how it would go over though because H's family is all still married and happy, but my parents are divorced, my gpa on dad's side just passed away so I thought it might upset my grandma to see their wedding picture, and my other grandparents refuse to let me have a wedding picture but would complain about being left out. So, I'm going to hang the sign in my dining room over the doorway to the living room. We have all of our family pictures in the living room, plus all the pics of us, our epics, and wedding pictures of friends and family. I think it works :)
  • Options
    OHMYGOD, I just had an AWESOME idea. So my husband's family is so sentimental, well the ladies. So I'm going to call them all (there's about fifteen women in all), and get a few recipes from them and then bound a cookbook with all the recipes, and send them copies. In my family, we're not sentimental like that, but I might throw in some from my family too. In fact, I think I'll call all the ladies I'm related to. This will be an undertaking, but Christmas will be completely taken care of for the ladies!!
  • Options
    I'm thinking I'll hang them after the wedding too.  I'd hate to have nothing to do with all the great pictures.  Thankfully our family is all married to their current spouse and no one has passed away all that recently, so I think it'll be more of a nice tribute than something sad.
  • Options
    GA - my mom's dad's side of the family has done that. The recipe book is two inches thick by now (we get updates every year). We've also asked in-laws who are close to that side, or family friends, or ladies in the community who've known our family for years. It's a really awesome project. Then, make sure you keep the recipes on file, and you can put together a new book when someone gets married. In our family, you (or your wife) has to wait til their wedding shower to get their recipe book and they get it for a shower gift from all the aunts. Combine it with a crock pot or a nice casserole dish or something and it's an awesome gift :)
  • Options
    Definitely hang on to them and maybe make a family photo area on top of a bookshelf or something. I have a ladder shelf in my living room for wedding photos of cousins and friends of ours. There are pictures of all the kids and us in the stairwell leading to our bedroom/office. And then the family wedding pictures or group pictures are hanging in the hallway to the guest room and bathroom. Basically, my house is a photo gallery :)
  • Options
    We have two pictures up in our house. I really want to have more, but we're not picture taking people. I got a new camera before our St Aug trip, and proceeded to take 800 pictures in 4 days. I'm learning :)
  • Options
    Good job, you ARE learning :) I'm working on cleaning out the pictures from my laptop. I've only had it for 2 years, and I already have 4000 pictures on there that I'VE taken. That doesn't include what others have sent to me. I, clearly, have a problem :)
  • Options
    I'm a picture person too.  My place didn't feel like home until I hung them, but once I did, I felt like I was at home. And I totally love the cookbook idea.  I think I'm going to try to do something like that for my mom and aunts.  Brilliant!
  • Options
    If you guys are into scrapbooking and want to make the binders for the recipe books, let me know. I made/decorated some recipe books for my friends a couple of Christmases ago and can show you pictures of what the covers looked like. (They were decorated to match their kitchens)
  • Options
    Love scrapbooking.  If this idea comes to fruition, I'll be sure to ask for some help from you.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Vogt, I would love to see pics of them! I'll probably use a generic picture for the majority of them, and maybe decorate the grandmas' and moms' books to match their kitchens. I can't see pics at work, so you can e-mail them to me at home (my FB profile has my e-mail), and then I can save them in my file! I'd say post them here, but I'm horrible about checking back on threads once I get home.
  • Options
    That's okay, I'll just email them to you when I get home tonight or tomorrow. I don't have the pics at work of this project. We should have a crafty GTG, just sayin :)
  • Options
    I would love a crafty GTG!! I used to be way more crafty than I am right now, but I think now that we're settled in our house, I'm going to bust the crafty back out, starting with all this Christmas stuff. My BFF and I have always said that we're going to go into business traveling to craft fairs around the country peddling our wares, and she has started sewing clothes for her baby, and she is good!! She's considering opening an etsy shop. I don't have the time for that, but I definitely will craft the crap out of some Christmas this year!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards