Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

**kati0105**

I just read your post from the other day, about possibly changing venues. Two of my best friends got married at the MDR Marriott back in 2006. The had the exact same problems leading up to the wedding... the coordinator was absolutely impossible to reach, and getting any info out of them was like pulling teeth. However, the day-of, everything turned out beautifully and ran smoothly. The only problems they had were wind-related, up on that helipad. Obviously this doesn't mean that YOU would not have any problems the day-of, and if you're really uncomfortable you should definitely check other venues. But I thought it might make you feel a little better to hear about someone else in a similar predicament. oh, BTW, if you do decide to stay at the Marriott, I highly recommend you time your reception Grand Entrance for sunset. They start with all the blinds down, and then raise them as you come in the room and it's absolutely stunning.

Re: **kati0105**

• Options
    Thank you so much, I have been trying to find someone else who got married there!  If we stay we are definitely doing the Grand Entrance at sunset, it is supposed to be at 7:13 that night and the reception is from 7-12 so it should work out perfectly.  I am worried about the wind in addition to the communication issues, so we'll see, we are having trouble finding another venue with the same value for the same cost, so we may be stuck there.  My fiance's main issue with them right now is that the room rates currently listed on their website are $40 lower than the "special room rate" they gave us for our block.  AND they want to charge us $3 a bag to hand out welcome bags to our OOT guests.  He just feels like with the amount of money we are giving them they should be a little more accommodating (or, you know, at least respond to our calls/emails).  It is definitely reassuring to hear that everything worked out well for your friends the day of though!
  • Options
    Can you maybe have a Come To Jesus talk with them? Send a formal and firm letter, or talk to the general manager? Just tell them that if they don't shape up, you're shipping out? I've heard of similar stories at a lot of hotels... they're completely up your butt until you book with them, and then they're impossible to reach. FWIW, I think that Marriott is one of the best for weddings. You're much more isolated from the rest of the hotel than at other locations. We looked at a few in South Coast, and the wedding guests would have to traverse through screaming children and parents to get to the bathrooms, or walk from the ceremony to the reception. One hotel even suggested we might like to get married by the pool, where everyone just hanging out could watch! The MDR Marriott offers a much more private, intimate feeling. Anyway. I hope it works out for you, whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    Can you maybe have a Come To Jesus talk with them? Send a formal and firm letter, or talk to the general manager? Just tell them that if they don't shape up, you're shipping out? This is what we plan to do, escalate it to at least the coordinator's manager.  I know in the past they have done two weddings on the same day so I am assuming they have multiple coordinators and am hoping we can work with a different person or at least speak with someone who has the authority to negotiate certain things.
  • Options
    One hotel even suggested we might like to get married by the pool, where everyone just hanging out could watch!We looked at one of these places too!  They required a $40K minimum which we thought was ridiculous in the first place and then it was like "oh, no, we don't close the pool, but people probably won't be using it in March."  Umm, but if they are, there will be kids playing in a pool in the middle of our ceremony?  Thanks but no.  If you're going to charge that much for weddings, at least have an actual wedding ceremony venue.
  • Options
    But actually, I had a harder time finding a reasonable florist. You wouldn't believe how many people I talked to who told me they couldn't POSSIBLY do ANYTHING for us with less than 6k. I believe the exact words out of my mouth were, "***, please." Haha!  We lucked out with all of our other vendors.  I think if we were getting married in a better economy we would be paying WAY more for flowers, photos, etc but all of our vendors have basically been like "tell us what you can spend and we'll make it happen."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards