Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

do you still have...

textbooks from college?I am packing up my office because we're moving in two weeks.  I have been carting around my old textbooks (you know, the ones I thought I would need) to three apartments and now to our first house.  I also have binders and notebooks from some undergrad and grad classes.Why can I not get rid of these without feeling guilty?

Re: do you still have...

• Options
    Why yes, yes I do. Despite the fact that I earned my undergraduate degree over 20 years ago.
  • Options
    No way. I was lucky to keep mine til the end of the semester. Text books = beer / weed money.
  • Options
    Ha!  Oh I definitely sold some back.  But some I thought I needed to keep - you know, for my career and stuff.Yeah, I haven't looked at any of them in years.  Onto the moving truck they go!
  • Options
    I sold 'em back in undergrad for beer money. I never bought a book after first semester of graduate school because I needed beer money, except for my practice books. I kept my therapy books, but hardly ever reference them because things change so much I learn more from doing recent research than anythign.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    What do you do, elfster?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I still have most of my philosophy books and some law books. I never open the law books, but they're a matching set and look kind of impressive on the shelf.I won't be pretentious and claim to read the philosophy texts all of the time, but I probably read a section or two a year, maybe., when I want to refresh my memory on something.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    I still have my music textbooks from undergrad.  I have a few other ones, like Child Development, that I didn't get rid of.I save everything, though.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    TEEEEEJ, hi. Speaking of dirty dancing, aren't you the one who loves the watermelon line from that movie?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Not textbooks.  I have all of my style manuals (APA, AP, Chicago, MLA) so that if I ever have to write something again I can look up how to cite crap.  But that's it.  I do still have all my papers and stuff on a couple DVDs though.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    crfische - I have a deep connection to the watermelon line, yes.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    I am a pharmaceutical sales consultant (= drug rep).My BS is in biology and my MPH is in epidemiology.  These are fields that change all the time so why I chose to save my books is beyond me.What kind of therapy do you do, Fishy?  and is it ok that I called you that?  I've been lurking forevah but just started posting, so I kind of feel like I know you.
  • Options
    I sold back all of my undergrad books, I just didn't want them and I really wanted the money!! However, I am in grad school now and I plan on selling some of the books I am NEVER going to re-open, but I am also going to keep some of them I think will be very useful for my future.And I have a huge tupperware container of school stuff: notebooks, essays, just TONS of stuff from high school and my undergrad. I know I will never look through it, but I don't want to get rid of it! I definately know how you feel! It is painful to think of throwing out all of that stuff you worked so hard on (even though it really isn't ever going to help me with anything, it is basically just junk)
  • Options
    Heck yeah, as long as you aren't a twatwaffle, you can call me Fishy. ;) Children and families mental health. I work at a non profit residential center and have my own outpatient clinic in my spare time. ;)

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I think I am pretty much the only person left on the Internet who calls crfische crfische.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    Which is really funny in all sort of ways, teej.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I kept my science textbooks, and my notes and lab notebooks. My non-science classes all used stupid little paperback books that I couldn't sell back, so I kept them for a while but recently got rid of all but the Latin ones. It's silly, but I guess part of me thinks I may need to brush up on Latin someday? As for the science stuff - I should probably get rid of the notes and notebooks, but I HAVE used the textbooks in grad school several times. Since I want to teach someday, I think I hold on to the other stuff because I may use it to design a course or something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ahhh shellybeth, I have the tupperware containers of school stuff too!  I refuse to get rid of them.Fishy that sounds really interesting.  I used to live with a therapist (long story) who had her own practice.  Was it hard to get started in terms of a client base?
  • Options
    I think it's funny, as well. In all sorts of ways. I've tried to change my ways, but I don't see it happening.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    Not really. Working in residential treatment, I usually just keep kids outpatient when they get discharged from inpatient so I sort of have a built in client base and we work with community agencies who refer our kids so I get a lot of references from them as well.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Teej. You've sent me presents. I just used it, actually. Of all people to call me Fishy, you'd be one.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I have all my old nursing textbooks floating around the trunk of my car. I didn't have anywhere to put them when I moved, and I've been planning to donate them forever, but never got around to it. We might do that wednesday since FI and I took the day off to do wedding stuff. But now I kinda want to keep them...
  • Options
    I know, weird, isn't it? I have extreme difficulty using "real" names. Just ask Buddy, who has never once actually heard me speak his name to him. I will work harder on it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    I think just one- my Spanish 101 book.  In hopes that someday I'll pull it out and teach myself Spanish again.  Ha ha ha.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I kept the ones I either was too lazy to sell back or thought I might find useful some day. Most of them are in boxes in my storage unit.
  • Options
    I do, but I use them from time to time (ok, so perhaps the more accurate explanation is that I lend them to my younger siblings from time to time, haha).
  • Options
    I do and I graduated in 2003. I have books from elem. and HS as well at my parents' house. I think I have a problem.
  • Options
    I kept a few that I thought would be valuable in the future. The rest were sold back to our school text book store at the end of each semester.
  • Options
    I've sold most of them back.  There are a couple writing books that I kept though.
  • Options
    I have all of my archaeology books and a couple of my medical anthropology books. I also still have all of my notes. Sometimes its depressing to go back and see all of the things I used to know, but have forgotten.You could always try to sell them/donate them to a school library. At least then you wouldn't feel as guilty :)
  • Options
    A couple good education books and a lot of history books. I am unemployed SS teacher. The books are a really good to have as a teacher. It is hard to have resources to pull from like good primary source documents because schools do not pay for for resources for history classes any more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards