Wedding Etiquette Forum

What to wear/bring to celebration of life

A family friend is throwing a celebration of life event for her father that just passed. The event is being held in a yatch club on a Saturday night with a DJ, dancing, and an open bar. The family friends are big party people and can get really wild. 200 people are attending. Am I okay to assume that I do not need to wear black to this event? Should I bring flowers for the family?

Re: What to wear/bring to celebration of life

• Personally, I don't think black is necessary and I would send flowers to the family privately.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would assume that black is not necessary and if you want to give flowers I would have them sent rather than bringing them with you.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'd send flowers to the house instead of bringing them to the event. As for what to wear, I wouldn't think black would be necessary. Just whatever is... yacht club appropriate. I have no idea what that is, though.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • See, living in the midwest, no yachts.  This is a problem I will never have.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • W O W. I would send flowers privately, and send regrets because, while they are obviously OK with this sort of wake for her father, I would not be OK with that.
  • Kristen says you should wear a judgment dress, the kind you usually wear when you're judging people at difficult points in their lives. She probably has one you can borrow.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Send flowers privately, as others have suggested... As for what to wear, I don't think you have to wear black, BUT a little black dress would probably be perfect. I've never been to a celebration of life party, but I think it sounds beautiful. Please tell us what it was like afterwards :)
  • Thanks for the help ladies. Yeah, this sort of celebration is pretty interesting but I am not surprised in the least. The yacht club is actually hosting the event for free (room rental + apps) because the dad threw so many parties there. Like I said, they are really big party people. Last time I met the dad who passed was at last year's Christmas party, during which he was so smashed that he later fell on the sidewalk, hit his head, and started bleeding. They are always having parties and trying to get people to drink. I've poured many drinks that they made for me down their kitchen sink when they aren't looking, just too much for me.
  • She'll be wearing her judgment dress with her joy crushing heels.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Judgement dresses. Do those come in many different colors?
  • Black, Grey, Dark Grey, Charcoal, Slate.You also have several lengths to choose from - Just below the knee, Way below the knee, So far below the knee it puddles around your ankles.(Just a warning, "Just Below the Knee" makes you look like a slut)Also, material of your choice - Light Wool or Heavy Wool. Or Crepe. For summer.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • By the way, joy crushing heels look like this.  Lift with lots of crushing surface.[img]http://www.spillyerbeans.com/raterankv4/members/clientimages/55cc575a2ccb30e7bbafc011b03ugly%20shoes.jpg[/img]
    my read shelf:
  • It's funny, when she told me about the celebration of life event and the plans, I thought, "Wow, his funeral is going to be more fun than my wedding."
  • Yeah, his funeral is going to have way more people than my wedding. I've found that even at a memorial service held at a later date (a few weeks after the death), black is usually not mandatory. Not that it's ever mandatory, it just seems to be tasteful at a funeral. Big party? Not so much. I'd wear whatever nice cocktail dress you feel like wearing.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Don't forget the hairshirt that's required wearing under the judgment dress.
  • I don't know if you are stll checking this thread, but if the party is at St. Francis, there is a realtively strict dress code.  As long as you meet the dress code, you should be fine in whatever.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds a bit like a "funeral" I went to a few years ago for a man from our church. While it wasn't at a yacht club, it was definitely a blow-out. Same family had a wedding a couple of months later. At the after party, they had a Crown Royal fountain. You ever see those tacky champagne punch fountains? Yeah, they filled it with straight Crown, in honor of Poppy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards