Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: Dollar Dance for a Cause

• Options
    I'll go read it but I'm pretty much still going to say no way for a combination of the reasoning against dollar dances and charity donation favors.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    All I need is to read the title to say, that's a big, fat, no-go.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The DJ was contacted before the wedding on behalf of the bride and groom. I had requested the dollar dance to be added to DJ play list after the bouquet and garter toss.Worst wedding surprise ever.Yeah, my mom died of lung cancer, but you don't see me wearing a clear dress.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't want to be abitch, but my wedding isn't a 'cause', and 'awareness event' or a fundraiser. Its my flucking day! Ok, maybe not that, but still. No.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Shaking your guests down for money is shaking your guests down for money, no matter what you do with the money.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    NononononononoAnd pink GMs ties?  Nononononono
  • Options
    Do not like.
  • Options
    As I always think with donations, the bride and groom should make their own, private donation to the charity of their choice if that's what they wish to do.  If they want to use their guest's generosity, they can donate their gift money.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm from an area where dollar dances are very common. I did one, but kept all the money for ourselves. Henceforth, a dollar dance to benefit anything sounds all right to me.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    And to add, a wedding should just be a wedding. Not a fundraiser or opportunity to push your agenda or pet causes on guests who came to see you get married and celebrate with you.To be completely honest, it strikes me as a show-offy thing on the part of the bride and groom (look at how selfless and generous we are), as well as having the potential to be uncomfortable for the guests - it's one thing not to take part in a dollar dance when it's for the couple, it's a totally different thing not to take part when it's for a charity. They could feel pressured to do something they don't want to do, or part with cash they can't spare.It's lame all around.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    I really don't get having a pink ribbon themed wedding. I just don't. However, making $3,000 off a dollar dance? If I would've known that was possible, I totally would've done one.
  • Options
    I don't want to be abitch, but my wedding isn't a 'cause', and 'awareness event' or a fundraiser. Its my flucking day! Ok, maybe not that, but still. No.::presses the like button::
  • Options
    I don't like the idea personally but I wouldn't say anything and would contribute.Heart is in the right place, brain is not
  • Options
    No.  And if anyone contacts our DJ to add a dollar dance to the reception, he better decline.  If he doesn't, he won't get his last check.  Seriously.  That's breach of contract.I feel almost as adamant about the chicken dance. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I really don't get having a pink ribbon themed wedding. I just don't.This kind of makes me think AW.  If they really wanted to honor her dead mother by doing something with breast cancer awareness, then just have pink as one of the colors in your wedding.  You do not need the pink ribbon in every aspect.
  • Options
    As long as it isn't going to NAMBLA or the Michael Vick foundation, I think it would be a pretty sweet gesture.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Ya know what? Return all your wedding gifts and donate the money to your cause if you care that much.
  • Options
    The dollar dance wasn't a surprise, the bride & groom knew about the idea & loved it.Personally I wouldn't do it, but I'd rather see this than greedy people focused on getting presents & getting lots of cash.
  • Options
    Yes, great idea. Return all the presents that people went out and thoughtfully bought for you with you in mind without knowing you were donating them and give away the money.Excellent idea.At least this way people get to choose whether they participate or not.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    If the family already has the dollar dance tradition (Polish, etc.), not so bad.Otherwise, it's better than adding a dollar dance for the hell of it, but worse than nothing at all.

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Options
    sigh. Internet+sarcasm = does not compute I guess.
  • Options
    I have a sneaking suspicion that was not sarcasm.
  • Options
    Oh. It was. My first reaction to dollar dances is that they are inappropriate because guests have already spent so much to attend weddings/buy a gift/dress up and look nice for the wedding. I didn't have a dollar dance because I didn't want to ask guests to do more than they had already done just to be at my wedding. Obviously, everybody thinks differently about everything and dollar dances are normal and customary in many circles. For me. that wasn't the case.I don't judge anyone for having a dollar dance, I just wouldn't do it myself. Sure though, it would have been nice to have the extra cash.My reaction to having a dollar dance for charity was knee-jerk. Doing that is really very well- intentioned. I just couldn't do it, even if I really just wanted to donate to a cause I cared about. I would give of my own money before I did a dollar dance for a cause, and that is where my reaction came from.
  • Options
    That's supposed to be: "For me, that wasn't the case." Gotta make sure it comes out right. :)
  • Options
    I assume they donated the money in memory of his mother. But they themselves donated it. Which makes it look (to Susab G. Komen) that these people gave $3,000 of their own money. You know? And while technically it was given to them, it was really their guests' money.And plenty of people have absent parents or grandparents who pass before their weddings... and they light a candle or leave an open seat. They don't make a huge showy deal of it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards